Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I tried the voice-over myself and failed! Then I had a friend do it... made a HUGE difference. I'll be adding a prospector next year standing next to the mineshaft... skeleton face synchronized to the voice-over.

·
Capt o' the Mourning Star
600 Posts
That turned out great! I love it......nicely done there matey....:D!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I owe a ton of it to this forum! I saw tons of pics of various pits, and put my own spin on it. Got a lot of good advice. SOOO excited for next year.... what IS this?! I've never been excited about the NEXT Halloween right after Halloween. :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
Nice job! I've been wanting to do something like this for years but haven't found the time. One idea I had was to put a ladder section on the side opposite the light to make it look like you could climb right down.

I'm already looking forward to see what you do for next year.

·
Registered
457 Posts
WOW your friend did an awesome job on the voice over.
That was also one of the best pits I have seen. It seemed more possible than most of the others that I might fall into the shaft and never be heard from again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NIL8r.. thank you! I thought about the ladder section too! I've seen it in other bottomless pits, and it's a cool effect. For me, though, I wanted the miner to be gone... no way of getting back up. :) Let's just say that my plans for next year include even more of a western mining feel. Currently working on figuring out motors, torque, etc.

beggars alley.. I know! Isn't he amazing!? I emailed him to see if he wants me to refer people to him. He can do ALL kinds of voices. Thanks, also, for the kind compliment! I was pretty nervous about it all, since this was my first build. Yay! It worked!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Your bottomless mine shaft is great! I really love the voiceover work your friend did, too. I can't wait to see what you have in store for next year.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Very nice looking. I made one last year. I put the towel rack on the opposite side of the light and painted it grey and kind of worn looking. Unfortunately, I put the glass up by the top. Next time I make one I'll lower the glass so nobody can reach it. All the kids rap on it, or know instantly that it's made with mirrors. Depressing for all the work and money I put into it that it's so easily recognisable.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, guys! All very kind.

ScreamingDemons... still no reply from my friend... hmm
Growler... I know what you mean with the glass being high up. My main problem was that I built the box too tall. Kids would stand on the bottom slat to see in. Next year, I'm making some sort of a wrap-around step so the kiddos can climb on that.

It's been a lot of research the last few days on how to accomplish my next build! :) Excited!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I keep going back to this post. I love this prop. I tossed my bottomless well last year. After this I will definitely rebuild it ...only better! Your friends voice is fantastic! I hope he decides to take on some voice work, I'd be interested. Thanks =)

·
Registered
385 Posts
i was planning to make one they they would walk over... then i found out the price of 2.5 X 2.5 plexiglass that would hold 500 pounds. end of project.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jmurdock... he does an awesome, job, huh?
gravediffer_greg... I've heard talk (and I swear I saw a picture) of people making one that was like 4 feet by 8 feet and about 1 foot deep. Don't worry about the weight limit on the plexiglass, just build a bridge over it... still a cool effect. Also, if the 4x8 sheet is too big, add supports in some creative way (wood, plexiglass cylinder, etc). I'd LOVE to see this when you get it done!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I did the same thing. Mine is a little over my waist hight and the little ones have to be held up and even the little older ones have to stand on tip toes to see into it. If everything works out I'll get the relay timer and make it where it shuts off and then the skull at the bottom will light up. Saw it someplace at the beginning of the year and really liked the scare factor.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Always wanted to build one of these. Next year. I was at a haunted house and they had 5 themed houses. One was call Phobias. They added a bottomless pit about 10 feet across and there was a little ledge you had to walk across. The wall pushed you forward and you felt like you were going to fall into it. I'm scared of heights and it got me and I even know the illusion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts