Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my big prop of the year. I still have some small details to finish. I added the chains, and need to do the costume and my make up. I want to add some bolts and distress the walls but I won't have time so the lighting will come in handy to disguise the small missing details

-PB

·
Registered
54 Posts
This was on my list of potential props this year but I didn't get to it. Can you tell me what angle you put the mirrors at...is it 45 degrees? If you have actual detailed construction photos....that would be great

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have been wanting to make that for a few years.
I would love to see/hear details of how you made yours.
The Illusion works beatifully!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was watching a show last night and one of their haunts had a similar prop, except they used a Bucky spine and pelvis...immediately my eyes lit up, but I couldn't figure out exactly how they mirrored it. I DEFINITELY second the motion for a tutorial!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
PB
can you share the dimensions of the box and mirrors?
I went shopping for mirrors today.
I would love to do this.

any more pictures?
thanks

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
I like the illusion, my only suggestion would be to build up the back wall top to look like the side ones, otherwise the illusion is kinda spoiled. Otherwise nice job on it!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delay haven't been on for a while.

Fred I sent you an email

The original by Distortions is also open near the top other wise you would have to cut your mirrors on an angle. With the dark lighting and such it worked out awesome.

I was gonna do a how to maybe I can still whip up something. I have it disassembled but not in storage yet, no promises but I'll try.

I have a humble video of it on youtube: propboy941 be kind I don't usually act I'm a behind the scenes guy :D

-Pb

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
thanks for the email and info
I found your you tube video as I was researching this prop.

can't wait to get started. still formulating a plan.
I look forward to any input you are able to offer.
thanks

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
some dimensions

I have some dimensions that "I used" this may not fit your application.

mirrors: 67" x 24" I cut them down they were taller

walls:75" x 36"

base:36" x 32" 32 is the width obviously

I hope this helps some of you I will try to do a how-to but no promises. If you have any questions I'm always glad to help just drop me a line.
And for those that asked this is the glass cutter I own/used:

-PB

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
thanks for posting that info.It helps alot.

I was on lowes web site and was looking at mirrored bi-fold doors.
I'll have to see them in person.

Can you explain again how you are supporting and keeping the side wall square?

also, what materials did you use for the side walls.
seems they look thicker in the finished pics

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was on lowes web site and was looking at mirrored bi-fold doors.
I'll have to see them in person.
I was going to use those myself. I had these mirrors so that is what I used

Can you explain again how you are supporting and keeping the side wall square?
I had some 45 degree pieces of wood screwed into the wall and the base to make it square and sturdy. I also ran 2 more braces. 1 across the top and one in the bottom 3rd of the back.

what materials did you use for the side walls.
seems they look thicker in the finished pics
The walls are 1/8" plywood. On the outside I put 2x2's to strengthen and decorate the outside of the box. The inside slats are left over 1/8" plywood, used to make the illusion. No strength from those...maybe a tad. That is why the sides look larger.

-PB

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Dont understand this part:
I had some 45 degree pieces of wood screwed into the wall and the base to make it square and sturdy. I also ran 2 more braces. 1 across the top and one in the bottom 3rd of the back.

at 45° what are the braces resting on? the wall and the mirror?
I dont see any braces in the pics

oh about the 75" height of the walls:
does that include the base i.e, 72" walls++3" base

sorry for asking so many questions.
But many thanks for your input

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dont understand this part:

at 45° what are the braces resting on? the wall and the mirror?
I dont see any braces in the pics
the walls are 75" floor to top including base. Again you should build this to your needs these are just guide lines. I think mine is to tall for my garage and it was meant to be back farther where my ceiling is higher. So again make the design to your haunting needs.

The 45 degree pieces are behind so that you can't see them they need to be hidden. The braces are mounted to the back of the wall and then to the back of the deck. These braces are just for added support. There are other ways to make the walls stronger, this is just the method I chose.

-PB

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Still dont understand the braces at 45°
shouldnt they be 90° if they are meant to keep things square?

as illustrated in the scetch I sent. I was plaing on supporting the sides by 2x4 running across the top and bottom. maybe somewhere in the middle depening on access space needed to "get into" place
also drilling wall into the base itself.

so how much space do you think there should be from the top of the box to the top of the ceiling of the room?
I was thinking 12"-18"

so if the heigth is 75" including the base and the mirriors are 67" sitting on top of the base that is, lets say, 3 inches tall. that would make the gap for your head you only have about 5" from the top of the mirror to the top of the box? is that right?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts