Halloween Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I saw Gatorman's Sentinals I have had the itch to make one as well. I picked up a 5ft Skeleton from lowes (34$) & located what I think is the same pumpkin he used (14" from target, 15$).

I've already removed the skull & separated the lower section by unscrewing the hips from the spine.

The skull from the skeleton has two red leds for eyes which I have removed to repurpose as eyes in my Werewolf I built last year. I'm hoping that I can find a small solar panel with wires to slice into the wires for the led's so they will come on & off automatically without having to keep it connected to a battery pack.

In any case, this skeleton is very easy to disassemble & I'm looking forward to corpsing it & making my own sentinel.

Wood Natural material Bone Skull Metal
Arthropod Wood Ingredient Decapoda Cuisine
Table Wood Toy Motor vehicle Flooring
Pumpkin Calabaza Winter squash Gourd Art
Temple Cucurbita Pumpkin Calabaza Wood
Hand Safety glove Health care Fluid Medical procedure
Pumpkin Cucurbita Winter squash Calabaza Wood
Fluid Wood Finger Gas Machine
Bone Fawn Skull Snout Wood
Wood Floor Flooring Helmet Hardwood

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I painted my skeleton today, removed some ribs, and added the foam backer rod with super glue today. Currently working on the hands & adding the Plaster cloth. Then it will almost be time to try my hand a corpsing with plastic bags for the first time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Couldn't help it. Went back out to the garage tonight to work on this thing some more.

I taped up all my fingers to get the shape I wanted for them. Need to get a bottle of liquid latex for those.

Then I used brown grocery bags & my heat gun to corpse the skeleton. I did not realize that the bags will shrink more than they will melt to the skeleton so that took some getting used to.

I ran out of bags so I moved on to using the Plaster roll (for the first time as well) & honestly I loved the way that brought the entire project together.

I still need to corpse the hands and then it will be time to paint again. I might do a bit more Plaster or plastic in the middle/chest area.
Window Wood Automotive tire Machine Art
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim
Wood Bicycle tire Musical instrument Bicycle part Art
Table Desk Headgear Wood Automotive design
Wood Art Twig Event Door
Wood Tree Twig Art Gas
Twig Wood Natural material Art Metal

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Flytrap! That looks awesome & this thread is SUPER helpful!! Looks like you used foam backer rod to flesh out your fingers before you taped them. Can’t wait to see it completed.
Thank you!

I think I'm almost done with the body. I used spray adhesive to help keep my grocery bags where I wanted them as I melted them. After that I used some chip brushes and my grey/brown spray paints to make the body "come alive" & cover the plaster.

I like the claws being grey and blending into the hands... Looks sinister to me. I'm going to touch them with just a bit of brown dry brushing to get some contrast on them.

After that I'm going to spray some water proofing on the entire body & then start on the head.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was the most stressful part so far.

Brushed on some liquid latex, then applied cotton balls that were soaked in water & strained.

Once it's dry in going to do another layer of liquid latex, then paint.
Helmet Jaw Wood Artifact Art
Helmet Wood Headgear Gas Glove
Helmet Jaw Wood Glove Gas

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Base coat is on. I thought about spray painting the external surface but I didn't want to risk getting it on the Styrofoam interior & ruining it.

So, instead, I used black acrylic paint & a brush. Once it is dry I'll do a dry brush of a brown/orange mix. Then a dry brush of orange.
Automotive tire Helmet Wood Hat Personal protective equipment
Wood Automotive tire Gas Bin bag Vegetable
Automotive tire Helmet Wood Bumper Tire

·
Registered
604 Posts
It does give it a pro finish when done. I loved the way mine turned after weatherproofing.

Good job with the dry brushing, it's easy to over do. Done people aren't patient and leave too much on the brush.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Made the frame to mount the body to with zip ties, covered by twine. The body was then zip tied to the frame.

Mounting the head to the body in a secure way, while also getting the look I wanted, was the hardest part of this build & I had to think way outside the box.

I ended up using a hot glue gun to connect two pieces of cardboard to make a circular plate, then wrapped it in lots of packing tape to seal it from the weather. Afterwards I painted it brown to blend in with the head & not stand out.

I fixed two pieces of 1/8th Guage metal rods up the neck with bends so they can support the cardboard plate (hot glued to the plate). These are zip tied to the frame in the back.

I then used the hot glue gun to attach a cardboard "collar" to the plate which allows the head to rest on it & be positioned.

Lastly, I used two 3" pieces of the metal rod to push through the plate and into the head to secure it from moving. Not the most ideal option, but effective & simple.

The last finishing touch was painting the interior of the head black.

Now I have to figure out where I'm going to put this thing in my yard.
Primate Wood Fawn Bag Gas
Wood Electrical wiring Gas Twig Electrical supply
Plant Wood Twig Grass Natural material
Wood Art Trunk Metal Natural material
Wood Mammal Working animal Bridle Trunk
Extinction Wood Machine Fossil Engineering
Wood Brickwork Brick Window Twig
Plant Window Building Brickwork Wood
Wood Gas Trunk Incense Tree
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts