Halloween Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
At walmart this morning, I was perusing the candy and seeing about the best bang for the buck. An employee asked if I needed any help and I said no but he continued to come towards me. He asked me (more like a statement), "Isnt it a bit early to be buying Halloween candy?"

1st Im thinking, its Oct 10th so no, duh!

But I simply made a face at him and then pointed at my shirt, which was a Halloween T-Shirt that said Haunted House with a house on it and said, "what do you think?"

He asked me about my haunt and I explained that I ran outta candy and its never to early to get on it. I actually already have some candy but buy smaller interesting variety's over the coming weeks.

Since he was being friendly and was still standing there, II asked if he was looking forward to the holiday. To which he replied with such vehemence and venom I was taken aback.

"Oh No! I dont believe in that crap. It started from pagan worship and I dont believe in that. " Basically spitting this at me, making angry faces.

I said, "If you studied the history it has its roots in Christianity as well, did you know that? " And before I could continue he cuts me off and says he read all there was to read about it from Google and other sites informing him its of the devil and pagan this and pagan that. blah blah.

I just made a screwed up face then put on my "confessors face", (if youve read the sword of truth series you will know what I mean, lol. )

I calmly stated this, "well, if you want me to give you some further reading on the subject I would be happy to provide that to you, give me your email and Ill send it."

But then he wanted my number instead to talk about it to which I declined. lol.

So anyway, yeah, I need a one liner I can get out to people like this in the future to get them thinking, any ideas?
Wow not the way to address customers that guy is utterly clueless. You buying candy and shopping in that store pay his wages.

·
How about a magic trick?
1,002 Posts
Wow, some people.

And he is an employee harassing you for your beliefs and pushing his upon you.
If it were me, I would have found the manager and told him/her that an employee was harassing me.

And I'm sure he would've been fired on the spot.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Having lived in North Carolina before I moved to Florida, I can tell you that the "Bible Belt" is full of people who think Halloween is a night of evil and all that stuff. Actually, after I did my research on the holiday (because I was sick of listening to local preachers and all those people at my college talking about how bad it was), I used that knowledge as a measuring tool for the preachers in the area. If they said Halloween was evil or that Darwin said we came from monkeys, they weren't worth listening to. And I used the truth about the holiday to talk some sense into some of those nay sayers at school.

The argument about the pagan holiday is easily extinguished. Just counter by asking them if they celebrate Christmas in December, hang garlands at Christmas, or put up Christmas trees. If they say yes to any of these, you've just nailed them for participating in other "pagan-inspired" holiday activities.

Good work though kittyvibe. Stand up for Halloween. Trust me, if he didn't believe you to begin with, he'll at least think about it twice before he keeps ignorantly spreading that garbage.

YES! well said. My point exactly. Friends and relatives from New England think I am exaggerating about the fervor of religious fanatics in this state.

My first month in NC. a local comes up to me and asked if I have been "Saved" People where I come from don't ask such personal questions,so I did not quite know how to respond to this stranger. I said I was Catholic and I had been baptized. He told me "Oh no son, that counts for nothing you need to be saved....you better get right with the lord!"

I realized then there is such a thing as a Christian extremest. And they can be just as scary as any mid eastern fanatic wack job.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would of told him that I couldn't wait for Halloween to get here so I could strip down naked,light my annual devil worship bonfire and sacrifice the goats I had and cap the night off smoking PCP and engaging in an orgy covered in the goat blood.
Can I come too? I love an orgy with goats blood! Makes my whole holiday a bit brighter =)
( I am so bad!!!)

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
One Liner?.....How about : "Well, your wrong!"....I would say that while laughing...Put your candy in your cart, look back at him, shake your head and laugh some more and be on your way....I wouldn't think twice about it and go on about my day.....I don't care to even try to convert anyones beliefs...That's what he believes well good for him....See how easy that was?...:)....ZR

·
Registered
217 Posts
1st I would like to thank all of you for all the GREAT responses. I never laughed so much in a long time. ty ty ty and ty
2nd In my opinion , I would have taken out my cell phone and taken his picture and name and said wait right here I`ll be back with the manager and then finished my shopping while he sweated it out . lol I might have told the manager so he didn`t hassle anyone else.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I'd like to know when all this evil talk started. I picked up a 100 year old halloween book today and there is not one word of satan/evil in it. In fact it tells how to have a great party (for THEIR era anyway) and how the night should be nothing but" laughter,fun and mystery". I would have thought the whole evil thing started back then but this book shows otherwise!

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
HO-LY CRAP. I'd have reported his ass to a manager for harassment. Beyond the fact that he's a close-minded idiot, he had NO RIGHT to stand there and spew his religious views at you. If he wants to "spread the good word," he should have become a preacher instead of a Wal-Mart employee. That is not his job. His job is to be friendly and assist customers. End of freakin' list.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Can I come too? I love an orgy with goats blood! Makes my whole holiday a bit brighter =)
( I am so bad!!!)
I was under the impression this is how everyone threw a party once the candy was all handed out??? It's kind of like the werewolf orgy in Howling 4 but with less fur.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
One Liner?.....How about : "Well, your wrong!"....I would say that while laughing...Put your candy in your cart, look back at him, shake your head and laugh some more and be on your way....I wouldn't think twice about it and go on about my day.....I don't care to even try to convert anyones beliefs...That's what he believes well good for him....See how easy that was?...:)....ZR
I actually did say that ZR, but stood there like a goober because I still wanted to look at the candy. He did change the subject to phones when I declined to give him my number then it was just awkward at that point.

I did call the manager and she was incredulous but thankful I called. Turns out he was a temp worker and not a normal employee.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts