Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 20 years old and this is the first time that I have worked with pneumatics, ever. its nothing great rather hodge podged together. This animatronic human is still under construction and is only about 1/9 the way done. The fingers on this animatronic/pneumatic prop move. The fingers point or grab, 2 cylinders work this movement, they pull on small cables whick raise and lower the fingers. the third cylinder on the hand part when pulled rotates the hand. The hand rotates back by a pring when no air is applied, it has a large berring to make the rotation movement slicker. the elbow bends with the 4th cylinder on the arm. The 4th cylinder swings the arm outward and the 5th cylinder on the linkage swings the hand up, this one that swings the hand up has two berrings to help with an easier movement. The rest of this character is being worked on and I will keep it updated on this forum. This character will have 24 pneumatic cylinder movements and 11 servo motor movements, 29 servo movements if i have enough time before Halloween to complete. I will be sculpting the head myself hand hands, they will be silicone. This is my first time working with pneumatics, please don't be to harsh with the reply's.

·
Registered
122 Posts
LMAO!! The last one pretty much sums it all up! Looks like you got a side buisness in the making! I'd love to get some stuff made for pop up's, TCT, stuff like that...they are always so expensive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a good formula you may need when designing props

Weight of the resistance (Force R) x the length of the “EFFECTIVE” resistance arm =
Weight of the effort (Force E) x the length of the “EFFECTIVE” effort arm.

so in my case the whole arm weighs 15 lbs and arm is about 34 inches long
I am trying to find the force for the cylinder so that will be x, and the length of the lever that this cylinder pulls is 3 inches so....

15 x 36 = X x 3
510 = 3X
----- ----
3 ---- 3

170 = x or x = 170 so I need at least 170lbs of force to pull the whole arm straight up in the air. The arm will also pick up momentum when the fulcrum point changes as it goes up so... the arm will move slow when starting and speed up real fast once it reaches a certain point on the lever. I will need to use a flow control valve to make the arm move at a constant speed... I goofed up on this earlier and used a 60psi cylinder and the arm did not go up it wasted a good 2 hours trying to figure this out and then test it. It works now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had time to attach the arms permanently today here is how they look on the pneumatic prop, photos of the legs being started. Also photo of a $250,000.00 motion base being worked on at the shop.

·
Registered
591 Posts
This is my first time working with pneumatics, please don't be to harsh with the reply's. then I'd hate to see your second!I'm impressed! So you go to M.I.T?

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Looks cool so far but looks like it is going to be huge and very heavy, i wouldnt have room to store something so big.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I could go to M.I.T but I am not smart enough to. I go to community college. As for the weight, ya its really heavy, but it is the same size as a 6' 2" person. It will be made to come apart in three pieces for easy moving. The torso with head will be one section. The lower torso with legs and plate will be another section. The 9 foot pneumatic wings with animatronic eyes on it will be a third section.

-Frank Balzer

·
Registered
317 Posts
Wow! Awesome! It is nice to see people bringing this level of ambition and skill to the table!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are some more updated photos of the project I had only 1 hour today to work on it so I just welded it up a bit more.

-Frank Balzer

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is a photo of the cylinders how they will control the wing mechanism. These cylinders will give it lots of movement. I have also ordered 6 large eyes that, 3 will go on either side of the wing. These eyes will have 3 servos on them a piece. They will look left to right up and down, then blink. Also shown is a rough 1 hour hand sculpture out of nsp none sulfur clay, for the pneumatic/animatronic prop. I did not like it so I will redo it with 5 fingers instead of 3 and take more time to have more realistic skin texture. Hands will later be cast in silicone.

-Frank Balzer

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some photos of the wing mechanism that I have done, its a quick demo. I do not like it! I feel it does not have enough movement for what I want so I will Rebuild it!! I believe it is also too bulky to mount animatronic eyes on it!

-Frank Balzer

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is the Official wind mechanism I am working on. I like it so much more. It has more movement. It also has places to mount the three animatronic eyes going up it. They will be attached to the doubled piece of 1X2 metal, connected to the Berring. Work in progress I hope it will work out.

-Frank Balzer

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh ya, besides doing stuff like this I cook. Here is a cake I made for my friend, The chocolate icing is piped on. and the round things on it are called Dragaes, yes you can eat them. The top of the cake has a piece of chocolate on it (Dark and white swirled together. The flowers are also piped icing. The leaves were made by smearing chocolate on them and cooling them, they were later peeled off and put on the cake. It's a 3 layer chocolate cake with raspberry ganache filling. It was made withe real Ganache, real Ganache contains Bitter almonds in it (REFINED). Bitter almonds contain cyanide poison. If it is not processed properly or if you have too much it can kill you. Biscotti also contains bitter almonds. I am a cook, who likes exotic foods. It is important to know these things. Specially since I do not want to harm the many girls who enjoy my cooking.

-Frank Balzer

1 - 20 of 97 Posts