Halloween Forum banner

My ambient lighting candle project

Atmosphere Effects: 
1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  kprimm 
#1 ·
Ok, I am notorious for trolling thrift stores and junk shops for things I can use to add to my haunt. The wife and our family all look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that I am going Halloween shopping in the middle of July. Anyway, I picked up a bag of the electric candles like people put in their windows at Christmas, and got to thinking that there must be some way I could use them, either in the graveyard, or possibly in the haunt itself. Here's a tutorial on how I figured out what I will do with them. For reference, My character is an evil priest who is trying to capture souls to make himself immortal. I figured I can ring my altar with these.

I started off with more than 2 dozen white candles. These came in the single and triple variety. I lightly sanded them with 400 grit sandpaper, just to make sure that spray paint would stick to them. I sprayed them all with some cheapo wal-mart brand gloss black spray paint. Then I let them dry.

For detail, I bought a bottle of bright red acrylic paint, and a fine brush. I proceeded to paint each "wax drip" on the plastic candles with red, to make it look like blood. After it dried, I sprayed a matte clear coat over the whole thing. After it dried, I took out the old bulb and replaced it with a flicker bulb.

When I start putting the haunt together, I will try to get a few photos of these installed in my altar, as well as a tutorial on how I built my altar and a couple of other things.

Hope this helped someone who was looking for an idea on an accent piece, or that last little detail.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.