Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started a 3 axis skull with 2 axis eyes I will post pics later all the info on this sight is really
helpful. It doesn't hurt that I work with h bfjou812 who has already built one.
I started out with a bucky skull (4th) I took it apart and filed everything to fit correctly re-glued
all parts and then read more on this process and decided to order a skull from gys. I will try my hand at corpsing this bucky skull later on. I decided to order my own parts and make some others due to working in a maintenance dept. I'll have to do this fast though since my plant is shutting down and i'll be starting a new job in two weeks. I'll keep you posted.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,448 Posts
Lol me too. At this point, I want to see any working eye mechanism!

Evil Bob, if you look in the tutorials and in the halloween threads for "3-axis, 2-axis eyes" you"ll find some that I did awhile back. I also did a short how to in the tutorials. Hope that helps.

·
Shiver me timbers
1,270 Posts
Thanks bfjou812. I'm going to use a design very similar to yours. I have six skulls to build, and I hope to have them done by the end of the month.

Evil Bob, if you look in the tutorials and in the halloween threads for "3-axis, 2-axis eyes" you"ll find some that I did awhile back. I also did a short how to in the tutorials. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't get my vsa to load audio files any ideas. it say addsourcefilter the source filter for this file could not be loaded. tried several songs

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
VSA works best with wav files although mp3 files work fine if you trim any blank space at the beginning.

Can I join the mob too???

That is the same old roll-on deodorant ball routine I suggested way back in HalloweenBob's thread used by effects artists, only unless you use a thin or blow mold type or Kmart skull, you'll have a whole lotta cuttin and gluin goin on to make it fit.

Never underestimate the power of a large group of unintelligent people

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
these are the parts i have so far waiting for the rest of themhttp://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/bobdoddle58/2009486.jpg

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
homey Ido i have to run the song on audacity first?
You should be able to play any wav or mp3 with VSA, but mp3 files usually have a small blank area at the beginning that only effects timing. What version of VSA are you using?

Generally you just do a Tools>Load Audio File
Then Tools>WaveMotion Analysis
And it should play when you hit the play button.

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
BobD, are you unable to load any song into VSA, or is one song in particular giving you trouble?
It certainly wouldn't hurt to re-export it through Audacity...maybe it would work.

Are you using HS-425 servos with that Bucky skull? I thought I heard that they weren't strong enough for those. Even the GYS skulls are normally used with a heftier servo, as far as I know. I believe some have had success using springs to lighten the load, though.

Ehh, what am I worried about? You've got ol' bfjou helping!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm using 425s but I ordered a linberg skull. I'm going to corp. the bucky skull maybe give it some jaw movement

·
Dead and loving it.
1,620 Posts
I would recommend an L type bracket to connect the metal component to. They have the rods and bolts that will usually that will fit as well at the home improvement stores. I made two 3 axis skulls doing that last year.

If not, HalloweenBob has a good template you can use to make one on the 3 axis phonebook thread here towards the beginning of that thread.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,448 Posts
VSA works best with wav files although mp3 files work fine if you trim any blank space at the beginning.

Can I join the mob too???

That is the same old roll-on deodorant ball routine I suggested way back in HalloweenBob's thread used by effects artists, only unless you use a thin or blow mold type or Kmart skull, you'll have a whole lotta cuttin and gluin goin on to make it fit.

Never underestimate the power of a large group of unintelligent people
I must have missed that one Homey. What I did was use Drmoribus linkage setup and adapt it to what I wanted. You are exactly right about the grinding and all, I took almost 2 lbs off the bucky and it works prettywell. The 2- axis eyes that I have done used a different set up to mount them. It takes a lot of work and they are not deoderant balls!!........but WTF!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I’m also working on my 3-axis/2-axis eyes skulls based on Dr. M’s K-Mart skull design. I started it back in February but haven’t had a chance to touch it since March due to a new job that’s sucking up 60 + hours a week along with a slew of family obligations that all seemed to hit at once. But I plan on taking a few days off next week so I’ll be able pull it out of storage and hopefully finish up my prototype. I bought the standard Bucky 3-axis mechanism but didn’t like the fit of the servo plate in the K-Mart skull which is larger. So I created a larger version and cut it using a CNC milling machine I have access to. I used Dr. M’s eye linkage design but mounted the eye servos on a bracket made out of the same acrylic used for the base plate. For the eyes, I used the roll-on balls but wanted them to look more human-like. I painted them white except for the iris which I masked off and left clear and the pupil which was painted black. I'm lighting them with RGB LED’s mounted on the back of each eye. I’m using the Board of Chuckee servo controller so I have control over the color/brightness/strobe of the LED’s much like the Skulltronix model. I should be able to post some pics and vids early next week with more detail.

Mark

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
I considered painting the eyes too to look more realistic, but was concerned that any paint, whether sprayed or brushed and lit from behind would show the brush strokes or varied paint layers, thus spoiling the illusion. Also, painting the rollons will make them thicker, one more so than the other which could cause binding. I hope it works out though and am curious to see your version..I really like the custom acrylic eye bracket idea. Sounds like you have some great improvements in mind!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was looking looking at thread the other day and someone posted audio for routines and I can't find them agian can anyone help.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts