Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I wanted to share my prop I've been building for about 3 weeks now. I wanted to get to more props, but this one took way to long and I got a late start. My original concept was to take all these skulls I had and create a skull pile prop. Something you'd find at spirit or similar. I didnt wanna do the tradtional style though and wanted to do a different spin on it. Especially since I had all these bones, hands, etc to use from previous years.

PRO:
  • Overall I'm very happy with how it turned out. I'm still looking for ideas though. Do I leave it as is, or drybrush the grey with color? I feel it needs more depth?

CON:
  • I wish I would have done the green light at the top and two reds at the bottom, or just made it all red. I had all these lights I ordered and thought it would be cool to do 1 or 2 a different color from red. Unfortunately I started with red, and finished with green so it doesn't flow. Oh well, live and learn!
  • I need a name for it. TriSkull? TriSkullPile. Maybe not though. I just feel like its almost like a tombstone that looks like my other tombstones.

First it started off with a vision. Wanted to do some sort of skull pile, but wanted to do it differently than what stores were selling.

Jump a few pictures right to my design! A Triangle of sorts of skulls.

Jump a few more pictures, mounting my first skull with lights!

How I wired it up....

Jump a bit more pictures, ALL skulls mounted!

Time to put some skin on them and prep for staining!

Fill in the foam! I was going for a creepy black goo sorta look where the skulls would be coming out of

Back piece, the wiring!

SEMI-FINISHED PRODUCT!

SEMI-FINISHED PRODUCT!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,801 Posts
I like the idea of dry brushing a bit - maybe a ash gray on the high points? Or even a neon green or even better something that would glow under blacklight to give it an otherworldy look... but it still looks really good overall!!

·
black light queen
2,504 Posts
probably too late now, but I was thinking that if you had the skulls in various depths so that it looks like some have "crossed back" before the others? a skull with neck & collar bone might be the 1st one out and just the front of a skull maybe up to the eye sockets would be the deepest one?

amk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey all,

Not sure what is the best lighting for this guy? The first image is my traditional blue I have on all my tombstones, although it looks darker in this pic than it really is. The rest of these shots, I took an RGB light and scrolled through some colors and took photos to see which one I liked best.

I dont really wanna deviate to a green or red, because the eyes light up green and red. Blue almost doesnt look good. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm ok. Heres another thought...wonder if I mixed the clear (yellow at the bottom) with blue on top or vice versa what kind of effect, I'd get.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Here's an idea out of left field - how about laying it flat rather than having it upright? This way it would appear that the skulls are climbing out of the depths of hell?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not a bad idea, may get lost, and people would have to really get on my lawn up close and personal, but could be worth a shot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts