Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I never got around to posting my last years display. It went down well, got some nice comments on the night and even made a couple of kids run back to their parents crying. I know that sounds cruel, but secretly I was a little proud.

Most the ToT's are small children dressed up, but I did have the odd group of teenagers turn up in a hoody and a scream mask. :mad:

The main display runs on a Raspberry Pi triggered by the doorbell. A few of the other props are controlled by an Arduino. For anyone thinking about learning about the Pi or Arduino, do it! I wish I had years ago. There's loads of help on forums and YouTube and the parts are so cheap, PIR, laser trip wires, relays are only a few ££ on eBay. This year my display will run on the £4 Pi Zero.

I've build a couple of new props for this year and accidently bought a projector off eBay (put a bid a couple of days before the end date not expending to win and won it) so I need to decide what I'm going to use that for. I might just have another AtmosFX video in the top window.

There's a street light just on the edge of the drive which I'm going to have to do something about. I tested turning it off with one of the laser diodes I've got for a prop and the drive and house it so dark it's perfect, but can't risk a child getting hit by a car, so I've bought some metal conduit and going to fix a photography light reflector on the top and attach it to the back of the street light, so hopefully I can get the drive darker without affecting the light on the road.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looks brilliant! The zombie box is definitely my favourite - how have you got his movement powered? Pneumatic?

I've just ordered a bunch of Arduino Nano's to experiment with for next years setup :D really good to see a PI setup in motion!

i'm presuming you are UK based due to the £'s - you know that you can ask your local council to change or provide additional shading to your lamp post if it's casting too much light into your house.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah pneumatic. I planned to have a 2nd cylinder with a hand coming out, but best laid plans and all that. Maybe next year.

You will love the Arduinos, they are almost limitless. I struggled at first with some of the principles, but there's some great YouTube videos explaining it all.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts