Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to have 3 life sized dolls rotating in a circle around a gravestone.

It sounds like a lot of math and possibly some physics.

I was thinking of a round platform that was rotated with a large belt under it.

The belt would be rotated by a motor of some sort.

Anyone have any idea on what type of motor (considering weight) I should get?

This will be an outside display.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'd probably go with a wiper motor and place it under a round platform. To get the speed down to an acceptable level, I'd use a 3.3V power supply that has at least 4A and plug the motor into the low speed connectors like this - http://monsterguts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dolls are pretty heavy, maybe like 14 lbs total doll weight. Plus the platform. Can a wiper motor handle that?

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
I would think a wiper motor could handle rotating 14 lbs. They have quite a bit of torque.

Another way to make the table turn would be to mount a small rubber wheel to the motor shaft. Then mount the motor with the wheel positioned against the outer edge of the platform. As the motor turns, the wheel would turn the platform.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I hope you come up with something for this project because I am wanting to do something similar and just can't seem to get my brain to figure it all out. I am hoping to have a spinning platform so I can have a dancing skeleton couple. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to go with a wiper motor and I think that 5v 5amp is the speed I want. Will that have enough torque? I'd hate to buy the lower 5V and then not have enough torque to make the platform go around.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Crazy idea, but could you suspend the dolls using SpiderWire fishing line to a couple of pieces of wood in an X and then rotate the whole shebang?...like a disco ball? It would be like a doll mobile of sorts and give a little extra movements to add to the creep factor.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I might have to keep them grounded. Otherwise I have to build some sort of structure to hold motor etc, above and that will for sure take away overall look in graveyard. Friction is going to be my enemy with this but I do have a larger lazy susan that I can use the wheelie part of.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Please post some pics of the build. This type of setup has uses far beyond what you are doing with it. I have considered something similar for our pirate-themes haunt, perhaps pirate skeletons walking around in a circle, arms outstretched... :)
I'm VERY curious to see how this goes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm. That might be my best option. It's a set speed and it's torque seems good too.

I plan on posting it when I get it worked out.

Thanks everyone for helping. I'm going to make this happen even if I have to dress up as one of the dolls myself!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts