Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made smaller scale props and decor, but nothing big. This year, I want to have an outdoor party that includes our local flow arts group (hula hooping, juggling, etc.,) and would love to go big! It is the Big Top, after all.

I'd like to try making at least one, maybe two larger-scale props (oversized/life sized, or a little bigger.) I have basic building skills, can paint, sculpt some, and can work the heck out of a glue gun (or any glue, really.) I don't have electrical skills, but I have some friends who do who may be willing to help. Static props would be great, especially if they break down. I'm on a pretty tight budget, but I am willing to splurge a little if something is just too cool not to have at the party.

So, what suggestions do you guys have for a novice prop-maker/experienced crafter like me with little storage space for a first-time dark carnival theme? Links to photos and/or instructions would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a link to my inspiration board on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/likeengland/haunted-carnival-halloween/

Thanks!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Great inspiration pins. I don't know how evil they would be but I like the idea of having things people could try like a strength machine - maybe you could evil it up using bones for the strength markers, dripping blood etc. Maybe a grim reaper to hand you the mallet? Lights and sounds would be good too!

strengthmachine1.jpg

·
Thrilled To Death
1,715 Posts
I made a creepy ticket booth entirely out of cardboard. It turned out great and only spent money on the paint. Its also very easy to make fake cotton candy. I see you also posted on the other circus/carnival threads there are so many great ideas on there. Pumpkinpie and off my meds are also a great help. The ideas are limitless! And so much fun!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made a creepy ticket booth entirely out of cardboard. It turned out great and only spent money on the paint. Its also very easy to make fake cotton candy. I see you also posted on the other circus/carnival threads there are so many great ideas on there. Pumpkinpie and off my meds are also a great help. The ideas are limitless! And so much fun!

HT, I enjoy using cardboard, myself! Do you have pictures of your ticket booth? Does it break down? Since I don't have much storage room, and I'd like to use this theme again, that's a biggie for me. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I used pallets, 1 x 2's, material and cardboard for this. It's screwed together, and stapled...a lot, lol. It stayed together through a ton of rain we had in Oct of 2012, probably not so great on storage though.
DSC00180.jpg

also cardboard and pallets
DSC00177.jpg

·
Registered
258 Posts
Killerhaunts
what is your inspiration for your fortune teller? Is it going to have any moving parts? Is it going to say or tell any fortunes? Would love to know what you are going to build, thinking of this theme myself and I have a servo controller I want to somehow incorporate into the build if I do it

·
Registered
95 Posts
We made two items for a clown "room" we had in our tiny haunted trail. They were easy to make, added a good feel to the room and were cheap as I used mostly salvaged items.
The mirror was really effective.
Oh and the sign was probably 4 by 10 ft or so. It's hard to tell in the pic

Attachments

·
Thrilled To Death
1,715 Posts
LoveandEyeballs it does break down for easy storage. I have some pics. In my photo album, please take a look. There maybe a few other things you see. Everyone on here has great ideas. I would love to help you if you have any questions!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'mbadash, that broken vanity mirror is such a great piece! I'm thinking of turning our bathroom into a dressing room full of accessories and makeup. I think I've seen decals that look like broken glass that might work ...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts