Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess there’s a first-time for everything. Last night had a ToTer dressed up as Harry Potter. We have a big bowl filled with a variety of full size candy bars, Starbursts, Skittles and Airheads and let the ToTer’s pick their favorite. So “Harry Potter” looks in the bowl and says, “Don’t you have any Hershey Bars?” I told him that we didn’t and that the closest thing we had to that was a Nestle’s Crunch Bar and dug one out of the bowl for him. He asked, “What’s that?” I told him it was like a Hershey Bar, but with crunchy bits like Rice Krispies in it. He said, “No Thanks.” and walked away with nothing. First time I ever had a ToTer turn me down flat because I didn’t have his brand. I turned to my wife and said, “Must have been heir to the Hershey Fortune.” She just laughed.

Anybody else ever have a ToTer turn down your offering?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,083 Posts
:D:D That's hilarious!

Hey, it saved you a candy bar & if he wasn't gonna eat it that saved his parents from eating it or giving it away. I've NEVER had a kid turn anything down but we do pretty big treat bags so they don't really see what we give away.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
What a shame, too that his loyalty lies with the worst of the top brands! �� (I'm a cadbury girl myself hahaha)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had a tot refuse my candy cause it was scary... I gave bags of chocolate eyeballs. They were like fudge and peanut butter and caramel depending on the eye color. Guess they were creepy! :)
But full size bars!!! WOW!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Had a couple of kids too scared to take anything. No direct turn-downs on candy, but then, my full sized Hershey bars flew last night! Had a parent almost turn down a toddler bicycle last year. I don't thing he thought I was seriously giving away a bicycle.

What did surprise me last night was how many kids turned down treat bags containing a dollar store toy, Rice Krispy Treat, Charms large lollipop, vampire fangs, skull ring, and mini Spirograph for a full sized Hershey bar or - more surprisingly - a bag of chips!

·
Registered
909 Posts
There always has to be one... Only one came to our house and the kid looked at the huge bowl of candy and said "what, do I just take a handful?". My husband said no, you say trick or treat and I give you some. The kids dad was yelling at him to say trick or treat and was mortified by his kid being kinda rude... But fortunately so many more were awesome.

Mine walked up to one house that had a table full of little pumpkins and skulls filled with candy. He was politely taking out one sucker when they told him to take the whole container. He just stood there stunned saying really? So stinking polite. But, the little bugger won't share any of his candy with me.... He told me to take some from the leftovers. But, kid begged candy is so much sweeter....

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's funny, I also had a kid last night who specifically wanted a hershey bar. I always thought those were one of the less desirable treats. As far as kids turning down candy, my son was one of them last year when he was just barely 3. He only wanted red and orange candy (reese's and kit kats) anything else he tried to then give back to other houses or just dump out of his bag while we were walking. At one point he was sitting on my neighbors lawn giving their son half his bag of candy. Things definitely changed this year. He was much more into trick r treating and definitely wanted all the candy he could get his hands on although his preference is now M&Ms. Kids are funny like that.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Mine actually went the opposite...there was a house that had those chalky, kinda sour lollipops out in a bowl. My oldest came back saying "I don't like them, but took one anyway to make them feel good!" the funny thing is that no one was even home though haha. Oh well...at least I can count on him to make someone feel good lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts