Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I am looking for ideas for background music for my Halloween Asylum themed dinner party.....I know music was commonly used as 'Therapy' in asylums but I am finding it really difficult to find anything much about it.

It would be easy for me to go down the singing nun 'Dominique' route, I found a loop recording of it, and it is the feel I want but was looking for something else.

Thanks for reading

GLORIOUS NIGHTMARES :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
In case you decided to go with "funny" instead, here's a couple of good ones, The Fun Boy Three with "The Lunatics Have Taken Over the Asylum".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aItpjF5vXc

Napolean, "They're Coming to Take Me Away Ha Ha" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4 But seriously folks, I don't know what they used in reality but I suspect it would be new age or classical, both genres have various recordings that include wave sounds and such.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, I think I will definitely add them to my playlist for my general Halloween party, which is a much more fun theme, I really want to create an uneasy atmosphere with the asylum theme though......you know when something sounds really happy and jolly but inn a different context it becomes really sinister and unnerving???? ........that's the one!!!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
now do you mean asylums or psychiatric hospitals? Most laypeople use them interchangeably, but they aren't the same thing....

Spookmaster

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Asylums in the UK are very much associated with the Victorian era which is where most records, documentation and accounts are most available, these came before psychiatric hospitals and wards here which didn't really become until the 1940s.........I appreciate it may be different in the US.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I never took into account you were English....

in the US, the asylum system existed prior to the growth of the state supported psychiatric system we love and enjoy today. Asylums had their pick of patients, and selections were made carefully, as to boost their success rate.

I'd love to visit the UK and see Broadmoor...

Spookmaster

·
>^..^<
795 Posts

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Thomas Kirkbride was a believer that the design and layout of a mental hospital could cure mental illness. The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum is nearby and was designed following his plan.

I've done a quick search to see if there was any music therapy or recommendations in his work but have found none. Since Kirkbride himself died in 1883, I'd assume that mellow classical music would have been the choice of the time. Maybe you could use a music editor to distort a track to make it sound as if it were playing through an old Victrola.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brilliant, thank you all so much, you have been very helpful, going to dedicate an evening this week to go through all your suggestions and see where they take me and what I can come up with.....I am getting more excited by the day!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts