Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever write their own Murder Mystery Party? I'm thinking about doing one based on Clue, using those characters and designating certain rooms as "the library" and the others.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on scripting, leaving clues, and basically helping to move things along.

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

-Beth

·
Registered
206 Posts
I did once. My advice is go on ebay and buy any Murder Mystery Party items you can find for cheap. Some are really good. Others leave a lot to be desired. Once you find a pack you digg, tweak it a bit. Writing your own from scratch is a pain and time consuming. Either people will miss your clues because you've made them too difficult thinking your friends are all smarter than they are. Or the exact opposite. Then spend your time on decorating your house and making props. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
206 Posts
They can be great fun if the people you invite get into it. You're bound to have some wallflowers. So, think of ways to drag them in kicking and screaming....er...sorry. Different activity. I meant to say think of ways to get them involved and interacting. Some won't no matter what you do. But, most will eventually come out of their shell a bit. If you send the character history and description out with the invites, it goes a lot better. In your invite, tell them that it's easier to get involved if they flesh out their own history a bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna start looking around for some scripts soon. I've already got some decorations in mind. :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
We did this 3 years ago and I loved it!

It is true some people don't want to participate, what we did because the party is bigger - about 75, my 'crew' acted it out and the 'guests' had to figure it out. Scene one acted it out, intermission, guests inspected clues asked questions turned in their guess, scene two after a Q & A , we revealed the murderer, best part was the wife of the murder victim got to hit the murderer over the head with a break away bottle. I always wanted to use one of those!!

I did some research on line for ideas and than wrote it myself, it was a lot of fun!!

·
Halloween Bad Girl
1,029 Posts
I have done one, and everyone loved it, then again we had 10 people and I centered the story line around my friends.

1st thing first you need to know who is coming. (example, bob, mary, sarah, john, billy)
2nd Create Theme (weekend at barney's pool party)
3rd create alternate characters for your friends using a theme. Bob is the butler, mary is the rich heiress, sarah is the drunk)
4th now create a story line ( you have invited all your friends out to the mansion for a fun day around the pool. (here you will decorate around the pool theme)
5th create story cards to give to your guests as they arrive
6th (gotta take a step back forgot to tell you, we notified our guests ahead of time that we were going to have a murder mystery party and gave them a list of items that they needed to bring to help them with their character. AKA things a butler would use, or bring a empty bottle of wine).
7th now the guests have their story card at the front door, the story card will tell them who their character is, aka mary the drunk, and for the rest of the night she will need to act as that character (spilling drink, slurring words) I tried very hard to actually give my friends characters that were pretty close to who they actually were, or looked like. Example my friend had a broke arm in a sling, so he was our butler for the night, carrying a towel on his arm, walking around saying can I refill your drink.
8th now after the friends read their story card, have them to go over and pick out a weapon from the basket. They can pick anything they want. Here you will have created an assortment of weapons, empty pill bottle, wine bottle filled with poison, knife, rope, gun, etc.
You will have already predetermined what and who killed, whom.
9th Pick a dummy, doll, figurine statue (as we did) to use as your prop. What we did was took the statue and passed it around for about 30 minutes, handing it off to each person, saying oh have you meet barney, please hold him for a moment and then walk off. You will need to insure that each person has held him for just a few moments. (this can also be substituted for a live person). Then at some point, the person/statue will need to be removed from the scene, at which point a character in your group will be given a story card, which reads something like, you have just discovered barney dead floating in the pool, you must scream bloody murder and gather the group. more......

·
Halloween Bad Girl
1,029 Posts
From here you will then have your guests interrogated by each other. Meaning did you do it, when was the last time you were with barney, what were you doing with him, etc...

Ask your guests to demonstrate how they would have killed barney if they did do it.

Remember you and your guests are still in character, so you will talk like your character, and wave your weapon around.

Ok after about an hour or two this is where you will have someone to bring out the cop and announce that the autopsy has been performed. From here you will read the will, which will leave something to each person in the group. Example, Bob was my best man at my wedding so I leave him the house, Mary was my lover for 2 years, I leave her my car. Ok after reading of the will then go to the autopsy and say something like, barney was stabbed in the leg, which did not make him die, barney was burnt by a flame thrower, it only burnt a 1/4 of his body, this didn't kill him, keep going describing each weapon, then pick something totally off the wall, we choose the keys that the chauffeur was holding in his hands, stabbed barney which resulted in a fatal wound to some part of his body. This meant that you know how the killer. This person will then receive an award for being the murderer and you will also want to give an award to the best played character, or the best dressed character.

We had drinks and food fitting to the pool theme.

I hope this helps. If you would like pictures, I will try to post a few

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
My Advice:

1) Decide how many parts you will have.
2) Lay out the same number of blank papers, spread out around you.
3) put characters names on the papers, one name per paper.
4) Now as ideas and storyline comes to to remember to be writing information on all of the papers but everyone doesn't have to know everything.
5) As previously stated in this thread, adults can be non-players ("You can't tell me what to do?")
6) Compensate for this by needing only 5 to 6 main characters out of maybe 20 if you have 20.
7) If 15 people decide to be stiffs, the 5 or 6 enthusiastic people can carry the play.
8) Your creation will be too hard and too easy, simultaneously and that is the way it will be. This writing stuff is tricky!
All of the observations and advice previously given are all right on the money in my experience.
I used to have Murder Mysterys here in my haunted house, I eventually had two scripts I wrote.
As time went on it seemed more and more groups would end up seeing their mystery degenerate into hide & seek, so I decided to do hide& seeks instead, saving me the time and effort of printing and mailing scripts.
We all had some very memorable times here during the murder mysterys.
Oh, yes, another thing I did :I had one space alien character that was bith sexes, this way if an odd number of males-females showed up this made it work alittle smoother, although many times a guy would be playing the Nunn and this was always funny.
She was "Sister Showno Mercy.

T

·
0 Posts
if you google "murder mystery party" alot of sites come up and you can find some great ideas and helpful tips. we were going to do one last year for a reunion party but couldn't in the end due to travel.. good luck :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts