Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have repeated problems with my multi-outlet extension cords tripping my GFCIs. I have several where the outlets are spaced evenly down the cord. They are all in good visible condition, and the circuits check fine, but the least little dampness and bingo! When I replace them with other types of cords, all is well. It doesn't matter what the load or what circuit, it's the same story. Anybody else gone through this?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yep several times when something gets wet. Usually I unplug everything then plug each cord back in until it trips, then I'll know which cord is wet. I just dry it off and it's good to go. I know some people have protected their outlets with plastic bags, ziploc bags etc. But mainly if it's just wet, once its dry it should be fine in my own personal experience.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep several times when something gets wet. Usually I unplug everything then plug each cord back in until it trips, then I'll know which cord is wet. I just dry it off and it's good to go. I know some people have protected their outlets with plastic bags, ziploc bags etc. But mainly if it's just wet, once its dry it should be fine in my own personal experience.
It only seems to be the one type of cord, though. That's what's puzzling. Where is the "leakage" occurring in them but not in others?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yep! Had that problem. I got portable power stations to run my whole display. And they have solar panels to recharge. Pricey but way worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It only seems to be the one type of cord, though. That's what's puzzling. Where is the "leakage" occurring in them but not in others?
Hmm not sure. All the cords I use are the heavy duty outdoor ones so I have the same style of cords consistently. Different cords might not be suitable for outdoor weather. Perhaps the ones you're having trouble with could be older cords? Not an exact science unfortunately

·
Registered
442 Posts
I had the same issue with an outside outlet that became more sensitive to moisture. The GFI was in a bathroom. Replacing the GFI didn't fix it. I tightened the ground wire connection on the outside receptacle and my problem went away. I can't explain the science.

Also while kind of pricey, I have found nothing better than a "sockit box" for weatherproof connections.

·
Registered
594 Posts
In the past, I just wrapped the connection in plastic with zip-ties to hold it in place and never had a problem. Now, I live somewhere with virtually no rain in October and very low humidity so it's irrelevant.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are all the outlets on the multi used or are some open? Use some kiddie type covers if any are open.

·
Registered
442 Posts
A scientist neighbor gave me a roll of ParaFilm which is a fancy version of stretch wrap matrixmom mentioned.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm not sure. All the cords I use are the heavy duty outdoor ones so I have the same style of cords consistently. Different cords might not be suitable for outdoor weather. Perhaps the ones you're having trouble with could be older cords? Not an exact science unfortunately
Unfortunately these are newer and definitely outdoor rated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have run a season long Christmas display for years and see it all every year, rain, snow, ice, and no issues. I am a member at various lighting forums and no one really does much at all, just in use covers on outlets. The logic is all the things you do actually make things worse. IMO this is most likely an issue at the outlet. GFI is old/bad, bad ground as mentioned, wired incorrectly at panel. If I had to hazard a guess why (dad and I are not licensed but have done electrical work for a long time) the new cords are actually working properly and the old ones do not. Without any hesitation I would replace GFI first and fit it with an in use cover. Sister in law had a similar issue and we found water inside the outlet and a screw rusted off. Box was not exterior rated... Hire a pro or find a buddy that knows to work on it. On a scale of 1 to 5 this is probably a 1 beer project.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm tempted.
I double checked and these seem good for 3 prong into 3 prong situations. Unfortunately, my issue seems to be 2 prong into 3 prong, as well, so I'm wondering if water isn't simply seeping into the unprotected ground leg if the plugs, and if sealing the ground port with silicon might help. We'll be trying that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have run a season long Christmas display for years and see it all every year, rain, snow, ice, and no issues. I am a member at various lighting forums and no one really does much at all, just in use covers on outlets. The logic is all the things you do actually make things worse. IMO this is most likely an issue at the outlet. GFI is old/bad, bad ground as mentioned, wired incorrectly at panel. If I had to hazard a guess why (dad and I are not licensed but have done electrical work for a long time) the new cords are actually working properly and the old ones do not. Without any hesitation I would replace GFI first and fit it with an in use cover. Sister in law had a similar issue and we found water inside the outlet and a screw rusted off. Box was not exterior rated... Hire a pro or find a buddy that knows to work on it. On a scale of 1 to 5 this is probably a 1 beer project.
Unfortunately, no to the GFI. Same issue with all my circuits, and they are varying ages, including 3 brand new. The issue is solely related to the one type of extension cord, and these are from different sources. My current focus is on water possibly getting into the ground sockets on the cord. Not happening with any other type of cords.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts