Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 1st time adding photos...I think I was more nervous about doing this than the building of the coffin!

Ok Kids ...here she is!!

Set of plans came from "Haunter's Hangout" and they are from the "Mactavish Manor Web Site". This was built by Jerry, he builds all my Halloween & Xmas displays.

Here's a little Muffy story!: One year he thought I was nuts when we went up in the canyons of one of our cafe customers land & hauled down 20ft. dead trees that had fallen on the ground. I made him dig holes in my flower bed right in front of the cafe window & we put up 3 trees and strung spider webbing all over them and them put monsters in there in front of the trees. He said ...It scares me what your mind is gonna come up with next & now the poor guy is building coffins!!lol

He's really nervous since I showed him some of the displays in here. He says you people are adding to my INSANITY!!!lol Isn't that a wonderful compliment???lol

ok on to the budget:
3 1x12x8 shelving $27.21
5 1x12x8 Pine Wood $56.25
Ornamental scrolls & trim $100.44
Wood Glue $2.50
Nails $3.00
Stain $6.00 we used a pint

The Muffster

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very nice. I can see why you spend all the $$ on the scrolls and inlay trim stuff, they really make it pop. I also like the heat distressed wood look.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Great looking coffin, Muffy. I can see Jerry spent many long hours on the building of it. (Once you got him off the phone-LOL).

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave ...so glad to see your smiling face.......hey comon get your coffin posted on here!!

Yes Jerry & the phone!!!He's always on the phone. Or else someone is bringing over their lawnmower or beat up rototiller to be repaired....thats why we are so behind in Halloween projects...ALtho I must admit he was excited about this contest and really got into it. Jeez I wish we had a hearse and masoleum contest so he'd get those built!

Dave ...Hurry Get that coffin on here!!!

Muf

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave ...so glad to see your smiling face.......hey comon get your coffin posted on here!!

Yes Jerry & the phone!!!He's always on the phone. Or else someone is bringing over their lawnmower or beat up rototiller to be repaired....thats why we are so behind in Halloween projects...ALtho I must admit he was excited about this contest and really got into it. Jeez I wish we had a hearse and masoleum contest so he'd get those built!

Dave ...Hurry Get that coffin on here!!!

Muf

·
Succubus in training
9,805 Posts
I love all the details in your coffin.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
wow, muffy, that is nice. whew, this is going to be a tough contest. i sure am glad i don't have to be a judge. this is going to be tough

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hallorenescene....its really not important who wins....... the fact of the matter is we all had such fun working on this project and cheering each other on in here. There was a few of us that this was our 1st coffin so just to have one & have it done this many months before Halloween is a thrill.

In my house everyone wants to wait & start doing things a month before Halloween & then when we don't have stuff done they are all crying ...oh we're not gonna be done usually with me crying the loudest.

I liked the contest because of the way we cheered each other on & the fact thats its APRIL & I finally have one project completed.....I'm just thrilled over that!

Gothic Princess......I know we may have went overboard with the trim there but I kept searching the web to try and find something that was gonna really stand out in my funeral scene for this season. The actual one we looked at did not have all that trim on it so I was shocked when he made it the way he did. He is so thrilled with the way it turned out...he has been building little wood projects around here for the last 2 years but this was his best by far.

His brother in Colorado is a master carpentry guy & I think Jerry is more excited about his brother seeing what he made than anything else!! He asked me again yesterday.....did you get my brother the web site addy so his daughter can find the pictures of my coffin. We really did not plan on spending anywhere near that much on the trim but he just kept adding things & the more he put on the more we liked it. Thought it is a great coffin for a vampire.

Anyways I'm just so happy for it to be done. Like I said I wish we could have a hearse & mausoleum building contest so I could get him started on that. He really was excited about being in this contest with all of you. He is 66 yrs. old & retired & is not a computer person at all....but he knows all of you thru me cause I never shut up about HALLOWEEN stuff!!

We really enjoyed all the going back & forth this month with this project......talk about staying in the frame of mind! SO...... I love all the coffins and I know we all share the relief of getting one project closer to our soon approaching Beloved...Halloween!!

the Muffster

·
Registered
304 Posts
I know exactly what you mean Muffy , this is the first year that we are going to put on a yard haunt after years of just decorating inside the house and having a halloween themed birthday party for our daughter last year. Typically halloween has been all of us dressing up and taking the kids around the neighbourhood ToT'ing. But the neighbourhood has started to flip and alot of younger families like ours are moving in so I think this is the year to get things rolling.. Now if i can afford to and get the time to execute what i have planned out in my head for year 1 I will be extremely happy.. This is why i have started early so i can spend a lil at a time so as not to make the financial impact that great in one shot but also just from a time perspective to get things done. I was already planning my coffin build in the winter and seeing the contest just happened to fall when the weather changed to allow me to execute..

And then with the great feedback from the members here I got the idea on aging the handles which just added to the end effect soo much more. The haunters which hang out in these communities are just like a big extended family.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
well, i didn't mean that it was only important who won, i just meant all the coffins were so nice it would be hard to decide, it was meant as a compliment to all the entrys for a nice job.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts