Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Scared Silly
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out, folks! It's my first "real" project.

In January, I was asked to make this dummy for a 15 second promo for Bates Motel on A&E. The spot just went live on their website, and I'm told it will be broadcast on their network sometime soon!

To watch the ad currently, you've got to
(1) go to www.batesmotel.com
(2) go to Room 9
(3) click on a piece of *ahem* marijuana paraphernalia

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,403 Posts
ACK! That site made me crazy! I couldn't get it to move around the room fast enough.

Still, pretty cool stuff you did there!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Beautiful work. Hopefully this is the start of something big for you!

Eric

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
Outstanding job, Chicken.
Did you punch that hair?
Can you do a tutorial on that process?
Is it a different process for latex and for silicone?
Is it possible to put silicone over latex for a more lifelike surface texture and easier hair punching?
You've got serious skills.

·
Scared Silly
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks folks!
Outstanding job, Chicken.
Did you punch that hair?
Can you do a tutorial on that process?
Is it a different process for latex and for silicone?
Is it possible to put silicone over latex for a more lifelike surface texture and easier hair punching?
You've got serious skills.
Yes, I punched it. There's a tutorial on makeup-fx.com If I get good enough at it, perhaps I'll do one, though, as I was taught a bit differently.
To my knowledge there's no change in process, just latex will slow you down because it's stiffer than a shore A 10 silicone.
I suppose doing silicone on top of latex is possible, but keep in mind that platinum cure silicones won't set up against latex (due to the sulfur content, I believe). But I don't see the point of having latex underneath. If you want structure under your silicone skin, expanding polyfoam will do well enough. That's what I did on this (soft polyfoam).

The true advantage of silicone is that it can be mixed to the appropriate translucency of skin, and that it can be mixed to stretch like skin. But remember that opaque materials can be painted to give the illusion of translucency. Unless you're doing something that's going to been seen really close up, I wouldn't bother with the expense of using a silicone skin for a Halloween prop.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts