Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! I'm hoping the Halloween hive-mind can come together and help me brainstorm this! My dream costume is Medusa, but I only want to do it if I can get the snakes to move in the headpiece. Right now, I'm thinking about 6 snakes that will swivel or move just slightly. The snakes themselves will be lightweight and likely made from paper mache or tubing of some sort.

My brain has landed on battery operated small motors that are hide-able in a headpiece. Something switch controlled. I fancy myself quite the resourceful crafter but I can't find/come up with any toys that have components I could use to create the motorized part. The world of r/c and robotics is completely foreign to me, but am desperate for an idea to make this happen. I'm super crafty and I have a brother who is a jack of all trades, so together I know we can build it....I am just looking for the right/lightest way to make the mechanics work.

Thanks in advance!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting that. I tried searching the forum but I didn't get any returns when I looked. I've thought about the plastic wiggle snakes and that is my last resort option. I'm dead set on the headpiece looking as real as possible.

Lighthearted Halloween
Thanks for posting that. I tried searching the forum but I didn't get any returns when I looked. I've thought about the plastic wiggle snakes and that is my last resort option. I'm dead set on the headpiece looking as real as possible.
DeadSpider did a to-die-for Medusa cosplay costume headpiece a few years ago. It was breathtaking. I don't believe it was animated, but it was so gorgeous, it didn't need to be! Let me find a photo.

s.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes, I've had her costume Pinned for over a year now! I looked at her online tutorial of how she made hers and I'm also pulling inspiration from her headpiece to create mine. I really like her materials and my idea is to use her tutorial to construct mine, but add the mechanical component if possible. Her model is my best option if I can't get the snakes to move. I recently tried to revisit her blog, but it appears it's down.

The Cackling Cauldron
Chenry, I like your idea and I too have absolutlly no experience with making any motion props.

But I did find some very small motors here.
http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopt...currency=USD&gclid=CM-g_uT2is0CFYRrfgodgyYOcw
and I was just wondering if they could be soldered to the end of a piece of stiff wire that has been bent into a kind of wavy line so that if inserted into the center of your snake and activated the wire would spin making the snake look like it was writhing around just enough to catch the eye for the slight movement.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for sharing! Yes, so many brainstorming ideas and I'm just not sure which is the best. Do you know if motors like these just hook up to a battery pack or do they have to programmed with a board?

Registered
Could there be a way to use magnetic repulsion using those tiny neomidium magnets. Stiltbeast studios has a video on making moving bugs that way.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Could there be a way to use magnetic repulsion using those tiny neomidium magnets. Stiltbeast studios has a video on making moving bugs that way.
That is actually a very cool concept! I'd have to experiment with that a bit to figure out exactly how that could work but it's a pretty cool idea. I'd definitely be happy with them kind of dancing around. I'll have to work on that and see! Keep the idea coming, all! I think we're all on to something!

Registered
Here is my thoughts about this. If you get some small servo motors usually $2 - $3 each and say you need 5 or six. Then get some realistic looking rubber snakes pretty inexpensive at a lot of stores. Here is the mechanical part. Take a sewer snake. Usually it is spring coiled anywhere from 1/8" - 1/4". cut lengths of it and you can actually bend between the coils and it will retain that bend. and you can bend them to any shape you want. cut the rubber snakes to the length you want and slide the spring cables up the snake. connect it to the servo motors and walla you have moving snakes.

OK now you got it in my head and i may have to build one to see it it works or not.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Here is my thoughts about this. If you get some small servo motors usually $2 - $3 each and say you need 5 or six. Then get some realistic looking rubber snakes pretty inexpensive at a lot of stores. Here is the mechanical part. Take a sewer snake. Usually it is spring coiled anywhere from 1/8" - 1/4". cut lengths of it and you can actually bend between the coils and it will retain that bend. and you can bend them to any shape you want. cut the rubber snakes to the length you want and slide the spring cables up the snake. connect it to the servo motors and walla you have moving snakes.

OK now you got it in my head and i may have to build one to see it it works or not.
Another GREAT idea! Questions: what does the servo motors connect to? And can they be battery switch controlled? (VERY inexperienced with mechanics here!)

Registered
These snakes are what came to mind at first for me. It's not robotic though.

My kids have had these and they have good "action" - they swerve back & forth in your hand and I'd bet they'd work well in a head-dressing. they'd move well with your natural movements. To me the only drawback is that they are less than realistic looking. Not sure how important that is to you.

If it were me I'd put some of these and some static rubber snakes too and I'd paint them all to look the same. Hope this helps!

EDIT: Maybe you could put these as skeletons inside of rubber snakes? That might help the realism.

683451106_tp.jpg

Registered
They sell those dorky hats that already have movement. With a battery and button. My dad had one for Christmas that sang grandma got run over by a raindeer. You can hack the sound and reader a circular metal armature to attach the snakes to. 2 antlers could move several snakes and the hat could be covered by other snakes. Not super high tech but cheap and relatively easy... Hope it helps.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
All great ideas! I ended up talking with a guy at a local RC hobby shop and I think he and I found a way to do it! The mechanics work, I just need to test with the snake idea. I plan on documenting my progress with this costume so stay tuned! Thanks for your feedback everyone!

Registered
looking forward to seeing your project progress! I wanted to make mine move, but I am the absolute queen of procrastination and didn't have time. It's still something I may try to add to my medusa costume. I added sound to mine though and it was great having lots of hissing noise all night. If I can help you in any way, let me know :D

Registered
I have to add though, they key to pulling off a Medusa headpiece is keeping it as light weight as possible! You will be wearing it for hours. Mine weighed less than 3 lbs, including the MP3 player and little speaker.

Registered
looking forward to seeing your project progress! I wanted to make mine move, but I am the absolute queen of procrastination and didn't have time. It's still something I may try to add to my medusa costume. I added sound to mine though and it was great having lots of hissing noise all night. If I can help you in any way, let me know :D
that Medsua costume is incredible!!!!
do you have a tutorial anywhere for that head piece?

Registered
All great ideas! I ended up talking with a guy at a local RC hobby shop and I think he and I found a way to do it! The mechanics work, I just need to test with the snake idea. I plan on documenting my progress with this costume so stay tuned! Thanks for your feedback everyone!
Did you make your snakes move on your Medusa wig costume

1 - 20 of 20 Posts