Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already had a Grandfather Clock that I had made from cardboard, but wasn't really happy as I had used just a normal clock and wanted to give it a more spooky look. I am not great with electronics:eek: so have to find things that I can use that already move! So I had a small hand held fan and thought I could use this for the hand movement to get a faster spin. I first put a hole through the back of the clock and attached the fan so the blades were sticking through and stuck on a clock face.
WIN_20170529_16_49_19_Pro.jpg WIN_20170529_17_01_58_Pro.jpg

I then touched up the paint where the original clock had been and trimmed down the blades to a thinner stick. This was easy as only made of a soft plastic. I covered the middle part of the the blades with a few layers of black tape in order to add some weight to give an intermittent spin rather than just fast, and to hide the blue plastic, I did the same with the blades. Once I was happy with the spin, I then stuck a small plastic skeleton body in the middle and attached it's arms to the blades. I used the original clocks plastic front and attached this over using cocktail sticks stuck to the box and the plastic front.

WIN_20170602_17_15_18_Pro.jpg WIN_20170602_17_15_31_Pro.jpg WIN_20170602_17_16_05_Pro.jpg
I attached a color change torch to the bottom of the clock and have a MP3 player hidden in the back. I am pleased with the finished result from a £1 fan. I am going to try a similar thing with another fan as currently making a victorian gramophone so thought I could use it to make the record spin (we will see!) As usual any comment from improvement greatly appreciated. I have attached a short video, but color change light not to visible as not really dark enough, but gives you the idea:)

[

·
Registered
628 Posts
Very cool Sharon. I don't quite get how the taping of the fan created random movement though. Seems it spun fast for a while then stopped then restarted. ???

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks nosefuratyou. When I initially tested it just with the skeleton on, it was so light that it just continuously spun at warp speed and you couldn't see the skeleton, exactly the same as using it just as a fan. However, as I started wrapping the layers of tape ( thick black tape) around the middle piece that spins (it created a thicker central piece than what was originally there) it started to give it more weight. Then with the skeleton and arms added, it kind of made it struggle to get going, which gives it that slow start, spin and stop again intermittent movement which is what I wanted. By not adding any tape, it would just continuously spin once switched on. I've added a pic that just shows it from a side which hopefully gives a better idea of what I mean.
WIN_20170604_09_54_19_Pro (2).jpg

As I said in my post, I'm going to try a similar thing with the gramophone, which I think will be pretty easy as I only want this to continuously spin the record, but I will post when done:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts