Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a mechanism I came up with to make a set of eyes that move back and forth (left and right). Frankie's Girl wanted a pair of moving eyes for a prop she is making and also (if possible) have them pause a second or two before changing directions. This is what I ended up making after a lot of trial and error:

The eyes themselves are ping-pong balls. The pupils haven't been painted on yet, I just stuck some round pieces of blue tape on them for reference.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Very Very nice! Any way to get a how-to? Or at least the measurements for the various pieces? Thanks for sharing and again very nice job!

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, no problem. That reminds me I need to take some more pics of it before it gets shipped off! I already have the measurements written down.
Thanks for the compliments!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Now that is just flat-out cool Dave! Can't wait for the dimensions (this one's gonna spawn alot of copies!) Excellent work!

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dave,

That is the neatest thing I have seen in a long time! Thanks for sharing that! This is one of those things that make you think, and think I did! Thanks again and Great Great work!!! (looking forward to the TUT!)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
I am THRILLED that you offered to make these for me... and can't wait to get them. I really wanted a pause, but was fine with a continuous movement, and then you really outdid yourself with the design that allows the pause... and it's just fantastic and perfectly what I envisioned!

Do take your time tho so you get all the pics you need! :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
I get them from Electronic Goldmine and I think they originally operated the damper in an auto vent system. Anyway, they run at 5 RPM and have really good torque! Very quiet too.

Super Power 12VDC Gear Motor-The Electronic Goldmine
I love this little motor! I've got 4 of them just looking for a prop in the garage. We need to start a thread and try to figure out all the different props we can make with this motor. It's a dirt cheap little motor.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've made one prop with one of these motors ( I know, pictures, pictures...:) )

They are nice and compact, I'm working on a 2nd prop using one of these guys.
I work at a Ford dealership, and sell these quite a bit. Ford calls them blend door actuators, which are used to run either the temperature door in the AC/heating system, or the mode doors ( Vent, defrost, etc.). Decent torque for a little guy.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! Thanks everyone. I didn't really think this 1-axis eye prop would get much attention with all of the 2-axis and 3-axis eye mechanisms around.

theedwin--Thanks! Maybe I can start designing some of those animated props you find at the thrift store! (I'll see you on the Xmas Forum.)

YardHauntJunkie-Thanks for the compliment.

Mr. Chicken--If I can impress you I know I must be doing something right.

Deadna-- LMAO! I never thought of that. That's good!

Jaybo--I posted vids somewhere a while back some of the props I've made with this motor. I love these things. I used it on my Tombstone Peeper, a stirring witch, a skeleton that turns his head left and right and I'm in the process of using it in some other props I'm working on.

MildAVaholic--OK, now I know what these motors are called. And you're right-- they DO have great torque!

Terra--You're too kind. I don't know if I'm actually a maestro...LOL

I've started writing up a tutorial and I'm going to try to finish it ASAP since so many are interested in this prop.

·
Registered
174 Posts
These are great! But Knew they would be, before you even finished them. I am just glad you are younger then I am. So you can build me some legs, when I get old.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Very nice... can't wait for the howto.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts