Halloween Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,903 Posts
I'm going to bump this just in case anyone has clearer pictures for the construction of the mechanism, pictures to fill in the missing blanks, and hopefully a reproduction of the drawing showing how to make the mechanism take up less space by the sideways mount. I'm afraid I'm one of those who often can't see something unless I actually see it. The words help to refine the instructions, but the pictures really help me understand what it is I'm actually supposed to be doing at any given moment. I know we can't go back and edit older posts anymore, but just posting the pictures and diagrams again would be a great help. THANKS... for whatever comes of this plea. :)
Wait... y'all can't edit your older posts? Let me know if this is true, as that is not good and should let the admin know to fix so any author can go back into their posts to fix/edit them. It's vital to make sure since this site's collection of postings tend to rely on visuals/photos, and we keep getting stoopid things like Photobucket being a jerk and ruining older tutorials...

I am hopefull that Dave sees this soon and can locate his photos and upload them to an album here. If he can't edit, I can fix if I can find them in an album, or he can post an album link directly to the entire album - either way, if they're on HF, then they're "safe" from future chicanery regarding off-site photo hosting sites anyway. ;)

I can edit anything as a moderator, but I assumed that the original poster of any specific post could edit/update indefinitely as well, so I hope it's possible (barring glitches that happened due to the mass-site move a few years ago that left a string of broken links we're still going through and fixing).

·
Registered
454 Posts
Wait... y'all can't edit your older posts? Let me know if this is true, as that is not good and should let the admin know to fix so any author can go back into their posts to fix/edit them. It's vital to make sure since this site's collection of postings tend to rely on visuals/photos, and we keep getting stoopid things like Photobucket being a jerk and ruining older tutorials...

I am hopefull that Dave sees this soon and can locate his photos and upload them to an album here. If he can't edit, I can fix if I can find them in an album, or he can post an album link directly to the entire album - either way, if they're on HF, then they're "safe" from future chicanery regarding off-site photo hosting sites anyway. ;)

I can edit anything as a moderator, but I assumed that the original poster of any specific post could edit/update indefinitely as well, so I hope it's possible (barring glitches that happened due to the mass-site move a few years ago that left a string of broken links we're still going through and fixing).

I went back to fix a typo I noticed in another thread and got the following message. "You may not edit more than 10 different post(s) within 7 days".

I don't edit any of my old posts because usually there's no reason to, but I made a long post and corrected a couple of spelling mistakes and must hit some flood control limit. I will have to wait a few days to see if I can go back and edit a very old post though.

Edit: Strangely it allows me to edit this one. Maybe because it is new.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,903 Posts
I went back to fix a typo I noticed in another thread and got the following message. "You may not edit more than 10 different post(s) within 7 days".

I don't edit any of my old posts because usually there's no reason to, but I made a long post and corrected a couple of spelling mistakes and must hit some flood control limit. I will have to wait a few days to see if I can go back and edit a very old post though.

Edit: Strangely it allows me to edit this one. Maybe because it is new.
I'm checking with Admin if there are time/amount of posts allowed restrictions. There absolutely should not be any and it may be a glitch or may be a standardized setting they can change. Will clarify with them.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm checking with Admin if there are time/amount of posts allowed restrictions. There absolutely should not be any and it may be a glitch or may be a standardized setting they can change. Will clarify with them.
While I agree that there shouldn't be restrictions on editing posts, the last time I checked, there was only a 24 hour period to edit posts, and a 5 minute period to edit conversations... yeah, 5 minutes. That one I know is in effect because I bumped up against it in a private conversation just a few days ago when I tried to edit one of my posts. It takes me longer than five minutes to edit the things, let alone having that limit to notice any mistakes I might have made.

·
Registered
985 Posts
A bit of an addendum to my previous post. If I go back in to edit an older post I now get this message:

This of course isn't accurate, as I've not edited a single post in the last 7 days. But the site is keeping me from editing posts via a notification that I can't do it. I remember in the early days of the site being retooled, I complained that I couldn't go back in and edit tutorial posts as I progressed on a project. There were explanations given about continuity being disrupted by someone being able to go back and edit a 4 month old post and the like. I accepted the fact that there was a time limit to how long I had to edit any post. Back in those days it actually gave a notice that said that we couldn't edit a post after a certain amount of time. I thought it was 24 hours, but I could be wrong.

What I did notice, was all those posts in the Site Issues and Feedback section have now been removed. So have many of the posts asking for the pumpkin emojis to be brought back. They're all gone. I have a feeling that certain issues that are important to us are not important to the site owners and rather than address them, they simply delete the posts. However they go about it, and whatever error notice they may give, the ability to edit older posts doesn't exist for me. It has nothing to do with how many times I attempt to edit posts. It simply has to do with a timer ticking down.

How do I know that? What you're reading here is something I added after posting the original post above. Moments after I posted it, I clicked Edit. Unlike my older posts that tell me I can't edit more than 10 posts in 7 days, it popped up the post and allowed me to edit it without a single notice that I had edited too many posts. So, yeah, there is a limit to how much time we have to edit posts. The notification may have changed, but the limitations are still in place.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,903 Posts
A bit of an addendum to my previous post. If I go back in to edit an older post I now get this message:

View attachment 728435

This of course isn't accurate, as I've not edited a single post in the last 7 days. But the site is keeping me from editing posts via a notification that I can't do it. I remember in the early days of the site being retooled, I complained that I couldn't go back in and edit tutorial posts as I progressed on a project. There were explanations given about continuity being disrupted by someone being able to go back and edit a 4 month old post and the like. I accepted the fact that there was a time limit to how long I had to edit any post. Back in those days it actually gave a notice that said that we couldn't edit a post after a certain amount of time. I thought it was 24 hours, but I could be wrong.

What I did notice, was all those posts in the Site Issues and Feedback section have now been removed. So have many of the posts asking for the pumpkin emojis to be brought back. They're all gone. I have a feeling that certain issues that are important to us are not important to the site owners and rather than address them, they simply delete the posts. However they go about it, and whatever error notice they may give, the ability to edit older posts doesn't exist for me. It has nothing to do with how many times I attempt to edit posts. It simply has to do with a timer ticking down.

How do I know that? What you're reading here is something I added after posting the original post above. Moments after I posted it, I clicked Edit. Unlike my older posts that tell me I can't edit more than 10 posts in 7 days, it popped up the post and allowed me to edit it without a single notice that I had edited too many posts. So, yeah, there is a limit to how much time we have to edit posts. The notification may have changed, but the limitations are still in place.

Well, that's not good. :(

I'm hoping Admin will remove the editing restrictions/limitations for members. I agree that the ability to go back and edit/update information is vital for many aspects here as you pointed out for tutorial/how-to posts, and it may be a day, week, or even a year later that things could need to be changed or improved upon - so locking people out from fixing or changing their own posts makes no sense in this type of forum that relies on its members to post valuable content and keep it relevant. I do hope they see that.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Well, that's not good. :(

I'm hoping Admin will remove the editing restrictions/limitations for members. I agree that the ability to go back and edit/update information is vital for many aspects here as you pointed out for tutorial/how-to posts, and it may be a day, week, or even a year later that things could need to be changed or improved upon - so locking people out from fixing or changing their own posts makes no sense in this type of forum that relies on its members to post valuable content and keep it relevant. I do hope they see that.
You can't see the conversations anymore because they've been deleted, but all those arguments were made before and squashed by the new owners of the site. The unique nature of our community doesn't hold sway in the homogenization of all the websites the corporation manages. It's why when "improvements" are introduced, you don't see pictures of Halloween stuff, you see cars or other hobbies showing you how to post. It's why we don't get pumpkin emojis, because they don't fit into the mold of standardized websites. It's why they're offering premium memberships that let you chat with just a small subgroup of paying members as if we thought that was a good thing. When I post a tutorial, I want everyone to be able to read it. I think most of us are the same. We love sharing with everyone, not just some small group that has the cash to keep their posts for an elite group.

Mind you, I'm happy that the site still exists. I'm grateful that many of the aspects of the old site are still in place. But that doesn't mean I don't complain about the aspects of the retooled site that patently ignore the nature of our community and how we do things. It's a compromise, and I know our side is the one that will always have to acquiesce, but I will complain and they will delete those posts because haunters gotta do what haunters gotta do, and corporations gotta do what corporations gotta do. :( <--- wouldn't this look so much better as a frowning pumpkin emoji?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts