Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year we're going to have a Halloween party for my kid's friends. They're 11 and 12. I'm trying to figure out what kind of scary movie I should let them watch. Something that will scare them, but not a lot of graphic blood or something that will traumatize them for weeks. lol Any ideas?

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Fright Night and The Lost Boys are two sure-fire winners for kids that age, regardless of gender. Whatever you do, don't condescend to them. No "Nanny McPhee" here.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,689 Posts
Hocus Pocus, Army of Darkness, Fright Night, Monster Squad, The Lost Boys, Night of the Comet, The Craft...

if I think of any more, I'll post them.

I like Night of the Comet and The Craft since they feature girls as the main hero/antihero - good for pre-teen girls. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would avoid the rated R movies, as they really are not appropriate for kids that young, and some parents might not appreciate their kids seeing those. I would look at the reviews on Common Sense Media, which rates movies for parents, before I made a choice.

Here's some I would let my 11 year old watch:

Dark Night of the Scarecrow (my favorite all-time halloween movie, but hard to find)
Halloween Town I & II
Ghostbusters
The Bride of Frankenstein
Beetlejuice
Harry Potter (any of them)
The Haunted Mansion
The Corpse Bride
The Halloween Tree
Young Frankenstein
Monster House
Hocus Pocus
Little Shop of Horrors
Addams Family Values

The following are pretty intense, check Commons Sense Media first
The Others
Signs
The Village
I Am Legend
Poltergeist (Even though it is PG, it was originally rated R, but then was appealed and changed so proceed with caution on this one.)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,689 Posts
I would avoid the rated R movies, as they really are not appropriate for kids that young, and some parents might not appreciate their kids seeing those. I would look at the reviews on Common Sense Media, which rates movies for parents, before I made a choice.

Here's some I would let my 11 year old watch:

Dark Night of the Scarecrow (my favorite all-time halloween movie, but hard to find)
Halloween Town I & II
Ghostbusters
The Bride of Frankenstein
Beetlejuice
Harry Potter (any of them)
The Haunted Mansion
The Corpse Bride
The Halloween Tree
Young Frankenstein
Monster House
Hocus Pocus
Little Shop of Horrors
Addams Family Values

The following are pretty intense, check Commons Sense Media first
The Others
Signs
The Village
I Am Legend
Poltergeist (Even though it is PG, it was originally rated R, but then was appealed and changed so proceed with caution on this one.)

The site you've indicated for reviews isn't very extensive...

The The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) has ALL movies (or darn near it) and they have a feature in the left hand side of each movie page called "Parents Guide" (it's in the Awards and Reviews section) that will let you know about any nudity, cursing, smoking/drug use, violence, etc...

You can check just about any movie. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
The site you've indicated for reviews isn't very extensive...

The The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) has ALL movies (or darn near it) and they have a feature in the left hand side of each movie page called "Parents Guide" (it's in the Awards and Reviews section) that will let you know about any nudity, cursing, smoking/drug use, violence, etc...

You can check just about any movie. :)
But I wasn't aware of the parent's guide on IMDB so thanks for the heads up. But Common Sense Media (CSM) is a niche site just for families and parents rather than a large movie clearing house. And the reviews are not user submitted like IMDB so I have a little more confidence with CSM. You aren't likely to find many slasher or obscure movies reviewed there as it's already a given that they aren't appropriate for kids.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Im not sure what its rated but the original 'Child's Play' movie might work. I used to LOVE that movie when I was younger :)
Chuckie was enough to scare but not terrify

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im not sure what its rated but the original 'Child's Play' movie might work. I used to LOVE that movie when I was younger :)
Chuckie was enough to scare but not terrify
LOL. You must have a higher threshold for fear than I do, because even though it's been over 20 years since I saw Child's Play, everytime I roll out of bed and put my feet on the ground, I still wonder if Chucky will be there to slash my achilles tendons.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Fright Night also has nudity. It's too bad because it was so brief, it really wasn't necessary. It happens when Charlie is in his room spying on the vampire through his window. The vampire is getting ready to bite the neck of his naked victim when he looks up at Charlie, and closes the blind.
It's kind of a creepy moment in the movie.

·
Registered
457 Posts
LOL. You must have a higher threshold for fear than I do, because even though it's been over 20 years since I saw Child's Play, everytime I roll out of bed and put my feet on the ground, I still wonder if Chucky will be there to slash my achilles tendons.
It must run in the family, my 12 yr old daughter loves it too LOL she says it gave her "the creeps but in a good way" whatever that means hahaha

1 - 20 of 28 Posts