Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 14 and this will be my first year not Trick or treating. Kind of a sad thought.
:( But this is the year when I take my favorite holiday to new heights. This will be my first Halloween party as well. The theme will be classic scary movies.
I have a nice lineup of movies that were scary the pants off of people before I was born. These movies include The Blob, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and Halloween (the movie). (I have seen all of these, what kind of horror fan would I be if I hadn't?) As most of you know, this Halloween is on a Friday night. If you were the parents of the kids invited, what would be a good time to end it? I would love for it to go all night but that's the what a lot of parents, including mine, would want. Also, any movies I'm forgetting? I have backups but I had my friends take a vote and those are the top four. If the time limit is short then I can only have three of those. I wanted to show a modern scary movie (1408) as well to really scare the crap out of us:D. Any other ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Outdoor Movie Party

We hold an outdoor movie party for Halloween. We bought a projector and rigged up a 10 x 20 screen. It is held out in the woods, complete with a bonfire. Last year, we showed "Dead Silence" and "Disturbia." Dead Silence, if you haven't seen it, as quite a few Jumpy, scary scenes and my teens loved it! Of course, they thought Disturbia was awesome too. We ran a bit late getting the movie started, which in turn caused the 2nd feature to run late and by Midnight we had parents arriving to pick up kids. Although, most kids talked them into hanging out until the movie was over. We are doing it again, with a twist, this year. Right now, we haven't found any great movies. Prom Night is at the top of the list, but I think it is from lack of having found that perfect movie. And you are right, most horror fans have already seen the normal Halloween movies a bazillion times. The Strangers is coming out 10-21, but I haven't even seen that one myself yet. The kids want to watch the Saw movies, but only thing is we have to keep it not so morbid and not too much language, etc because we have neighbors. House of Wax was okay. My teens like it. When a Stranger Calls, Messengers, pretty good.

Would love some more suggestions? Keep in mind most of my teens aren't interested in the older movies. Late 90's until Now...that would be ideal.

Oh yea, our party was from 8 until Midnight (although we had a small group there until 3:00 AM - no one wanted to go home. We had about 40-50 teenagers there :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Please, please, please don't show the new Prom Night. That barely classifies as a horror movie. I was incredibly disappointed in it.

How do you feel about zombie-type movies? The Dawn of the Dead remake from 2004 was good... 28 Days Later was even better!! And of course there is Shaun of the Dead which is more comedy than horror, but is still great!

An older modern horror movie, but definitely a goodie, is Scream. Love it!

As for another good classic, I always enjoy The Shining with Jack Nicholson.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would say that midnight is an appropriate time to end the party. Have guests come dressed as characters from the classic horror flicks. It sounds like a fun event.
________
Suzuki TS250

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
We hold an outdoor movie party for Halloween. We bought a projector and rigged up a 10 x 20 screen. It is held out in the woods, complete with a bonfire. Last year, we showed "Dead Silence" and "Disturbia." Dead Silence, if you haven't seen it, as quite a few Jumpy, scary scenes and my teens loved it! Of course, they thought Disturbia was awesome too. We ran a bit late getting the movie started, which in turn caused the 2nd feature to run late and by Midnight we had parents arriving to pick up kids. Although, most kids talked them into hanging out until the movie was over. We are doing it again, with a twist, this year. Right now, we haven't found any great movies. Prom Night is at the top of the list, but I think it is from lack of having found that perfect movie. And you are right, most horror fans have already seen the normal Halloween movies a bazillion times. The Strangers is coming out 10-21, but I haven't even seen that one myself yet. The kids want to watch the Saw movies, but only thing is we have to keep it not so morbid and not too much language, etc because we have neighbors. House of Wax was okay. My teens like it. When a Stranger Calls, Messengers, pretty good.

Would love some more suggestions? Keep in mind most of my teens aren't interested in the older movies. Late 90's until Now...that would be ideal.

Oh yea, our party was from 8 until Midnight (although we had a small group there until 3:00 AM - no one wanted to go home. We had about 40-50 teenagers there :)
pretty good. We do something like this but show it in the garage after they walk our trail to enter.....6'x9' projection on the door with 40 kids ages 6 to 16 and decided to show ARMY OF DARKNESS because my boy got the new Gemmy chainsaw to use during the Ash chainsaw scenes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i'm doing a movie party for my birthday this Sunday and am having the same problems. It's too hard to narrow it down. And I personally can't deal with the really really scary stuff. I love A new nightmare, and 13 ghosts. And i have been told Behind the mask is a really great movie so i'm thinking of trying that one too. I loved the Rob Zombie Halloween remake but I think that's mostly b/c I love everything Rob Zombie does. And one of my all time favorite movies is Dead Alive but it is very bloody and not very scary. It is more a old spoof on zombie movies but it is really good!

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
13 ghosts, the new version is good. dawn of the dead is good. when a stranger calls. boo. salems lot. the lost boys. fright night. pumpkinhead. . the ring. vacancy. darkness falls. midnight sounds like a good hour to end. have fun.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Please, please, please don't show the new Prom Night. That barely classifies as a horror movie. I was incredibly disappointed in it.

How do you feel about zombie-type movies? The Dawn of the Dead remake from 2004 was good... 28 Days Later was even better!! And of course there is Shaun of the Dead which is more comedy than horror, but is still great!

An older modern horror movie, but definitely a goodie, is Scream. Love it!

As for another good classic, I always enjoy The Shining with Jack Nicholson.

Go with the original Dawn of the Dead, 100X better than the re-make.

For a funnny gore fest go with Feast.

2,442 Posts
The Changeling

It's an old movie but watch it with the lights out and it still scares me and I'm a die hard horror movie buff.

It's about a guy who's moves into an old house and there's a spirit present I won't say much as it'll spoil it.

I prefer the older horror movies from the 70's and 80's. The new movie Quarantine thats out at the moment well the Original spanish version REC is much better than the remake.

visit preview for horror movie info.

I also want to see trick r treat if it ever comes out! it was supposed to be out last year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts