Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a way to mount standard LED Par 38 floods. I have seen indoor cans from american DJ, and they are cheap, but I was trying to figure out something else. In an ideal world, I would get their 7P Hex IP (waterproof, DMX controlled, any color... ;) ) But I want to take my current colored Par 38 LED floodlights and put them in something where I can mount barn doors on them. Any ideas?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Barn doors for a light fixture. I am trying to figure out a way to either have cheap lights already with barn doors, or take the Home Depot (Gemmy) lights and PAR30 bulbs with the stake mount (picture shown in a previous email by Industen) and make some. I was thinking of hose clamps around the light and barn doors screwed to them, or a mount of some kind (maybe white PVC sewer pipe?) as a ring to go around the light and screws to mount it like a cheap hall ceiling light. Then sheet aluminum sanded and painted black. It just seems like a non-trivial project.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thinking more on it, If I cut a 1" section of 4" pipe and found something to glue around it that was square, I could use screws going inward on the circle to pinch into the light. Then on the flat pieces making a square that surrounds the circle, I could make brackets to hold cut out flaps for barn doors. It needs to be light. Maybe make the square frame somehow out of aluminum flat rods from the big box stores? If the rods where thin steel, it could be bent into a square and screwed where the open ends join. Any other ideas? Here are 2 very quick sketches to give you an idea of the start of my idea. I would have to buy a bunch of machine screws and nuts and something on the end of the adjustment screws to pinch the outside of the lights. I saw something on youtube where a person took the rectangular LED lights and just screwed the homemade brackets to the frame and then the tin-snipped and bent flaps mounted to that. But my lights are round.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe a "quick and dirty" idea just for this Halloween would be to cut out flaps and then snip long tabs bent 90 degrees and curved to make 1/4 of a circle. Then slip them onto the curve of the outside of the light and use a hose clamp to hold them on. Then just bend them to shape the light. That may be very low-tech, but it might even last longer than a season. It would take a lot of bending before they break if I round the cut inside 2 angles where the tab comes away from the flap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think you're getting somewhere. Don't overthink it. My Brother ran lights for a university theatre and he assured me that they often used simply tape and cardboard (as you say low tech) to control spill.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thinking more on it, If I cut a 1" section of 4" pipe and found something to glue around it that was square, I could use screws going inward on the circle to pinch into the light. Then on the flat pieces making a square that surrounds the circle, I could make brackets to hold cut out flaps for barn doors. It needs to be light. Maybe make the square frame somehow out of aluminum flat rods from the big box stores? If the rods where thin steel, it could be bent into a square and screwed where the open ends join. Any other ideas? Here are 2 very quick sketches to give you an idea of the start of my idea. I would have to buy a bunch of machine screws and nuts and something on the end of the adjustment screws to pinch the outside of the lights. I saw something on youtube where a person took the rectangular LED lights and just screwed the homemade brackets to the frame and then the tin-snipped and bent flaps mounted to that. But my lights are round.

View attachment 723887 View attachment 723889
Just a thought, but you might need a floor flange for PVC if you want to build something like this. They come in lots of sizes, I used a 2" one for mounting gargoyles to the top of some 2" pipe that forms my cemetery fence. They are sturdy and not crazy expensive.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you are like me and drink coffee it is very easy. I save all my metal coffee cans and cut the bottom so I can fold a couple small flaps back. I then slide the light holders shown above into the can and put a hose clamp over the flaps and tighten it down to the hose holders. It is a homemade canister light that is simple, cheap, and works great.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If you are like me and drink coffee it is very easy. I save all my metal coffee cans and cut the bottom so I can fold a couple small flaps back. I then slide the light holders shown above into the can and put a hose clamp over the flaps and tighten it down to the hose holders. It is a homemade canister light that is simple, cheap, and works great.
Do you have a picture of on of your can lights? I sam someone use 12 or 16oz water bottles - they cut off screw end and slid them over the lights. It seemed they were just protecting the lights from moisture but I could see painting the inside and using them to make spots.

I think I get it. The next part would be how to make barn doors. Maybe slit the top of the can also so you can peel back 4 sections like flower petals. Or screw flaps right to the top edge of the can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts