Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on creating my first static character prop. I created her frame out of pvc. She obviously will not stand on her own yet though and I am in desperate need of a way to mount her to stand. I have seen tutorials around about how to mount them onto a board. However, I want to know if there is a way to mount her without a huge board. I want her to wear shoes obviously but the bigger problem is that I will be using her frame for a grave digger for my yard this year. The "witch" character I will only be using for a contest at my work. So I would prefer to be able to change her shoes somehow and her costume.

Is this a huge stretch? How would you construct her feet so that she will stand? or is there a tutorial that someone knows that explains this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could drill holes in the shoes, then insert rebar into the gound and slide the pvc legs over. That would work for the yard, Idk about work

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
What size pvc did you use? Post a pic of what you have so far and the legs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don’t know how far you are in your build but think “Tripod”.

Witches have brooms and diggers have shovels so use these as the third leg in your frame build. Weight the prop with the lowest center of gravity so look at a creating a “crotch shelf” to place bricks or such (now you can remove the weight to dress and work) . Other ideas that work is the prop “leaning” or “holding onto” large static objects such as a chair.

·
Registered
100 Posts
How committed are you to the idea that she must have shoes? For my witch I built her spine up out of PVC, then ran it into a cheap Walgreen's Christmas tree stand. I wrapped chicken wire around the stand and draped her dress over that. Since the dress is longer than the stand there's no need for shoes, and unless one of your co-workers is rude enough to peep under her skirts. no one will be the wiser.

If you have something like Spider Hill Prop Works' PVC kit, you could have two different lower body set-ups. Just add a joint somewhere above where the PVC branches off to make legs. That way you can pop the top off and use it for either one.

And you may only have one life-size prop now, but believe me, they're addictive. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
If the legs are made of PVC , pound 2' pieces of rebar in the ground and the fit the legs over the rebar. You might have to drill holes in the shoes to fit over the rebar. Done.

·
Never try to eat a zombie
778 Posts
If the legs are made of PVC , pound 2' pieces of rebar in the ground and the fit the legs over the rebar. You might have to drill holes in the shoes to fit over the rebar. Done.
Yup thats what I do w/ mine, or rebar behind them then wire it and pull the pants over the rebar..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
bl00d
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing