Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a pair of mummy hands from ghostride.
Very well done.

they are filled with a soft foam.
I wanted to mount onto a dowel. I figured up to the wrist for best support.
but thats about 12"

what is the best method to cut into the foam that deep. if possible at all.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,747 Posts
How thick of a dowel? You might want to try using a longer drill bit and going in very slow. If it's a smaller dowel I'd try a spiral type bit, if it is bigger than 1/2" you might want to try a spade bit. 12 inch bits are fairly inexpensive.

For securing it, I'd suggest Gorilla Glue. I've head great success using that with PVC for insertions like that. It expands nicely and really holds onto the foam. :)

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,747 Posts
its soft foam.
I dont think drilling if would work

3/8" dowel
You might need to "tear" your way down into it then. 3/8" isn't too bad. Maybe some sort of solid rod. That's why I was thinking of a long spiral bit. If it is sharp it would at least help cut the foam and let the bit move forward. Gonna be hard to make a clean hole, but might be able to make passage through it.

Other option might be to heat a metal rod and see if the foam will melt out of the way. You'd just have to do it in stages. Depends on if it will melt.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello Iceman. I had a similar situation a while back. I sanded the end of the towel like a pencil and was able to push it along. Something else I did used a heavy gauge wire. I would suggest 10 gauge or you could try a coat hanger. Have fun and goog luck this season!

·
Hauntless
8,363 Posts
Everyone's ideas will work great and here's another one to throw in the mix. Dig out the foam in the center - stuff wire in but have it bent up a little bit and then use Great Stuff to fill back in the hole. The bent wire will then have something to grab onto once the Great Stuff cures. Here's a link to the full tutorial: http://www.halloweenforum.com/blogs/terra/1142-8-long-tentacle-arms-tutorial.html

Here's just the quick video:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Maybe you could use a butter knife to gouge the hole?

Or, if they're BIG hands, you could use Terra's "veterinary medicine" technique that she uses in her video. ;)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hey icemanfred, I just finished doing this same project on my Rockin' Granny. I had two arms and legs filled with foam. It really was a fairly simple process to put PVC pipe inside them. I just took a 3/4" spade bit and drilled out a hole down the middle the depth of the bit. Take it very slowly you don't want a runaway bit destroying your prop arms/legs. After the hole was drilled (and yes it was soft foam so it more of less tears it out) I filled it with Great Stuff. I would have used Golilla Glue but I didn't have any on had right then and I had a can of Great Stuff so I used it. Then I inserted the 1/2" pvc pipe into the hole, let it set up and it is perfect, very solid, and connects right to my Granny.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts