Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've searched, and searched for a 'how to' on mounting a talking skull to the wall to no avail. My goal is to put as few holes on my little guy as I can, should I want to readjust later. Obviously, his jaw needs to be able to move, and while his jaw and eyes move, he doesn't move around.

There used to be some images of the Pirates of the Caribbean type placard with crossed swords and skull, but all the images are gone :(

I'm thinking it should mount some how to a piece of plywood where I can mount speakers, etc. It needs to be off the back of that plywood just enough to put a hat or something on him (he's sensitive about the hair loss). Does anyone have a nice approach?

Much appreciated, in advance.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My first suggestion would be a toggle bolt. (seen below) It may work it's way loose even with the small vibrations of its jaw moving, and over time rip a hole in your sheet rock.

Toggle-Bolt.jpg

I would agree that mounting it on a plaque or board of some type is the way to go, then mounting that to the wall. You will still have an issue with it moving around but that can be fixed by screwing it (the plaque) directly into a wall stud with 2 1/2 inch wood screws. The down side to all this is you wont be able to move it around so you have to be sure about where you want it before any drilling Etc.

Hope this helps, Marc V.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is just the head. I suppose I'm more vexed by how to attach the skull to anything. Not sure if it would the norm/best way is. Maybe a hollow bolt through the "neck hole" with some large washers/nuts? or does there need to be a new hole in the back of the skull? I like the idea of the shelf it it doesn't block the jaw.

Surely I'm not the first to try to mount it on a "sign".

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
IRON PIPE?! Surly you jest! Not when PVC is the official building material and all purpose miracle structure of haunters everywhere! :D lol Just messing with you. Iron pipe will be more expensive, but would be simpler to mount to the plaque if you get a short threaded piece. You might be able to just screw the threads into the wood if you cut your hole the right size, but it would have to be just right.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,099 Posts
So, it turns out that the method that Nightfisher advocates is basically what I did for my Jolly Roger a few years ago. It worked out really well. ;)

If it helps, here are a couple of progress images to illustrate the notion.....basically, the 90 degree PVC goes up into the base of the skull, and it simply rides on top. The MP3 player sits inside of the skull, while power and audio cables go out the back.

The 2 X 4 supports the entire thing, and you basically put a picture frame mount on the back of the 2 X 4 board to hang on the wall.

He's a pretty straightforward build as you can see, but feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That looks great- I have one more suggestion if you wont be covering the mounting with a festoon like defenestrator shows. In another forum someone mounted some half skeletons to the wall (wall breakers) by using a simple flagpole mount and dowel run up through the spine- In this case a much shorter piece of dowel could be slid into the flagpole mount and then place the head on top of that. Or, do a trophy mount with a decoratively shaped board with a wedge and dowel or pvc attached so the head sits down on the wedge. I'm sure you could cut the wedge to allow movement of the jaw. I will be making some zombie trophies exactly this way for 2014.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts