Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am needing to purchase a few motors for a few projects. I will be needing wiper motors to upgrade my witch cauldron and ghoul creeper, and I will also need a motor to run a flying ghost wheel.

1: where/which are the best bang for the buck for wiper motors?

2: about how many amps do you think is needed for a basic flying ghost wheel (no more then perhaps 150ft of a run) and any suggestions on where to get that as well?

I know fright props offers them, but a little bit more costly and I dont mind putting in work

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sorry! Rereading your post I realized you are talking about an Axworthy Ghost not a Flying Crank Ghost. ( why I deleted above post)

It seems several people tried sewing machine motors.... they burn out quickly....
Ceiling fan motors seem possible but speed may be to fast and they are low torque.....
Treadmill motors seem the best choice as you can adjust the speed and they have lots of power... and can run continuously with out burning up.
A used treadmill on Buy & Sell would be the cheapest option if you find a free one even better!
Or look at this surplus place....
Surplus treadmill motor

·
Registered
305 Posts
This guy uses a treadmill motor..... He said:
"I tried a sewing machine motor,burned up in a heartbeat,so i swithed to a Treadmill motor.I found a Treadmill on CL for 20 bux,took it apart down to the motor and controller.Hooked it all back up and man-o-man,lots of torque and any speed you want from a crawl to light-speed.Very reliable and wont burn out."

see entire discussion here:
Axworthy Ghost Motor Discussion from 2013

·
Registered
305 Posts
Here is some more good info where someone says:
"If your going to spend any money on this, spend it on the important stuff. The wire that runs it all. I have used all types of fishing line and will never use them again. Fishing line is expensive and doesn't last in the sun very well. I got my cable off ebay several many years ago for $30 + shipping for 300 feet. Not much more than spiderwire, eh? I haven't tried the crab pot line.... it sounds interesting. The line that I use is steel cable. It has a black plastic coating and I believe is 3/32nds dia. I run 250 - 300 feet every year so typically I'll run 6 - 7 wheels. It's pretty big, but once its dialed in, I rarely have problems with it. I still won't run it across the street though. I'm all about the speed and reliability."
See the complete discussion here:Axworthy Ponderings / Halloween Forum

·
Registered
123 Posts
The usual Halloween store suspects have decently priced wiper motors, but the shipping just kills it, close to doubling the price. You can find wiper motors on Ebay or Amazon for around the same price with free shipping. As others have mentioned, treadmill motors are probably the best way to go. I have connected gearboxes to the treadmill motors to slow them down. I have also found/used gear reduced 90-130 VDC motors on Ebay as well which will work with most treadmill driver boards. DC motors are the best as they are easy to control the speed and reverse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts