Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There have been a lot of questions about prop motors and how to attach crank or control arms to them. For starters I basically use TDY or TCY synchronous motors for grave poppers, moving tombstones, all of my ghosts, things like that. They are available in a wide range of RPMs and easy to find. After trying several ways to attach crank and control arms I came up with the following way, and this has been my go to method and very reliable for several years now. It is also cheap and easy, all you need is a drill, a hack saw and 7/32” and 5/16” drill bits.

I use aluminum angle (3/4” x 1/2” x 1/16”) for the crank arm, and the u-bolt and nuts that come from 3/32” x 1/8” wire rope clips pictured below, both easy to find at the big hardware stores.

You can also find the u-bolts in 3 packs that include the cable loop. To attach this to the motor, drill 2 7/32” holes that will fit the u-bolt, and hole for the motor shaft (the TCYs I am using work with 5/16” hole) as shown below. Get the holes right up against the corner.

Now use the u-bolt and nuts and attach to the aluminum angle.

Finally Mount on the motor shaft and tighten.

hope this helps!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,409 Posts
Commenting because this is something I need to remember! Great idea!! :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
There have been a lot of questions about prop motors and how to attach crank or control arms to them. For starters I basically use TDY or TCY synchronous motors for grave poppers, moving tombstones, all of my ghosts, things like that. They are available in a wide range of RPMs and easy to find. After trying several ways to attach crank and control arms I came up with the following way, and this has been my go to method and very reliable for several years now. It is also cheap and easy, all you need is a drill, a hack saw and 7/32” and 5/16” drill bits.

I use aluminum angle (3/4” x 1/2” x 1/16”) for the crank arm, and the u-bolt and nuts that come from 3/32” x 1/8” wire rope clips pictured below, both easy to find at the big hardware stores.
View attachment 737890
You can also find the u-bolts in 3 packs that include the cable loop. To attach this to the motor, drill 2 7/32” holes that will fit the u-bolt, and hole for the motor shaft (the TCYs I am using work with 5/16” hole) as shown below. Get the holes right up against the corner.
View attachment 737899
Now use the u-bolt and nuts and attach to the aluminum angle.
View attachment 737900

Finally Mount on the motor shaft and tighten.

View attachment 737901
View attachment 737902
hope this helps!
THANK YOU for sharing the detail. I needed this as I am very visual. I need more than just "connect motor". LOL. But once I can SEE it, I am good. I really appreciate it.

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
We have saved this page as a PDF file for future reference. It's not that we don't want to trust the Internet or the Forum to never lose anything, but you know.... just to be safe. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts