Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my first animated prop. It is a skeleton(all my decorations are skulls or skeletons and lots of red lights) in front of a big gravestone and it's arm reaches out and it's head tilts back. I believe I saw the plans on this forum. It called for an animated deer motor to move the arm and head. I bought the motor but when I got it it moves very slow. I'm going to use a motion activated switch so when Trick or Treaters walk by it will reach out for them. What would be a better choice for a motor and best place to get it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have been looking at getting a Synchronous geared motor for one of my prop builds. These motors are used for microwave turntables, and vent fans. You can get various RPM speeds and sound like they have pretty decent torque for their small size. Might look at getting a motor for an adjustable car seat or a wiper motor. Looking forward to see what others suggest. I'd look at ebay, or SurplusCenter.com for motors.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I'm building my first animated prop. It is a skeleton(all my decorations are skulls or skeletons and lots of red lights) in front of a big gravestone and it's arm reaches out and it's head tilts back. I believe I saw the plans on this forum. It called for an animated deer motor to move the arm and head. I bought the motor but when I got it it moves very slow. I'm going to use a motion activated switch so when Trick or Treaters walk by it will reach out for them. What would be a better choice for a motor and best place to get it.
First off, to do what you've described requires a bit more than just a motor and a motion sensor. There has to be some type of controller to execute the sequence so it always resets and stops with the arm in the down postion. Just wanted to point that out before you invest in another motor.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Could I ask what you suggest? Any help would be great, Thanks!
Well, as for prop controllers, everyone has their own preference and there's a ton of choices. I'm not gonna suggest any particular type or brand, the choice depends on your skill level and what future props you might use it for. Do some research on prop controllers and make your own decision would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I will agree with J-Man on the fact that you will need a prop controller to make this happen. I know a lot of people use Arduino controllers with relay switches to make this happen and it is something that i am looking into getting as well. As for the motor I would suggest a wiper motor. Hooked to 12V from a power supply might give you the RPM your looking for. If you search arduino controllers and watch you-tube videos on them you will get a good idea of what is possible.

As J-MAn has said research all that you can before you make any purchases. And decide from there.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You can also use a car windshield wiper motor, they have 2 speeds you can run continuously or use the parking stop point . Just buy a 12v adapter to plug into 110v and if you need to slow it down a pwm controller. I get my motors from frightprops about $30.and the pwm on ebay for $9. Frightprops also has a motion detector to activate the prop.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
You can also use a car windshield wiper motor, they have 2 speeds you can run continuously or use the parking stop point . Just buy a 12v adapter to plug into 110v and if you need to slow it down a pwm controller. I get my motors from frightprops about $30.and the pwm on ebay for $9. Frightprops also has a motion detector to activate the prop.
A wiper motor with the "park" feature still needs a controller. Just a motion sensor won't control the motor.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Sorry but what is a pwm?
PWM is short for "pulse width modulation". It refers to an electronic circuit that controls voltage output by turning the power on and off rapidly at an adjustable rate, which in turn, controls the motor speed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts