Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
im sure most of you have worked with air cylinders. you know how the end pops out and goes back in. does anybody know of a motor that can do that but runs on electricity. basicly im looking for a motor that a part of it goes in and out just like an air cylinder.
THANKS

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya its for a creature crate, i want it to push up the crate and push it down pretty fast too.

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
Linear actuators are powerful but pretty slow compared to air cylinders, you would not be able get them to do a real pop-up action. Depending on the amount of lifting (weight) needed, a solenoid or two with levers could work, may be ones with spring returns to help out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I couldn't find electric solenoids that could operate a creature crate last year, so I used a 5# tank of CO2 and batteries for the valves. It was activated using a cheap remote control I got off ebay. The tank, batteries, and electronics were mounted inside the crate, so nothing showed from the outside.

I put it in the back of my brother's truck and he would set it off at stop lights. The looks on the faces of the people around us was priceless. I'll see if I can dig up pictures.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
Could you do it using a cam similar to this (the chicken animation at the bottom):

Cams and cam followers

A made a prop using a cam mechanism similar to this one years ago. It's an opening tombstone that slowly opens then the cam allows the lid to drop and slam shut. If you used a faster RPM motor it might do the trick for your creature crate.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Scary, I saw a guy take a cheap old jig saw.and build his. He built like a wood box to keep the jig saw straight and ran a bolt in where the blade goes. He also so had a piece of metal for the bolt to hit instead the wood. It worked really good and was plenty loud. Might be if you don't have one, a yard sale or hot line be have one cheap.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
I just used a coping hand saw to cut mine out of a thick piece of wood. It didn't turn out the exact shape I had planed, but it's still doing the job for over 6 years.
I just drew a pattern myself and cut it.

Here's a vid showing the inside cam:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Warrant2000 that is so cool. It might of been yours I was thinking about. I know when people got close and that thing comes on, it scared the pants off them.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Warrant2000 that is so cool. It might of been yours I was thinking about. I know when people got close and that thing comes on, it scared the pants off them.
Thanks brushe! During the 08' haunt, the saw stopped working and the light just came on - not much of an impact. I was inside in my costume and couldn't effect repairs. I think the wire for the trigger came loose so I'll try again this year.

I also had it in a bad position...the corner of my cemetery fence, visible from the street, so they knew it was there before encountering it. This year it will be hidden!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts