Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on Indeva's(thanks for all the help an guidance!!) http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/73377-cheap-animated-doll-prop.html, I built this prop.

It's made from a Grandin Road foldable coffin, a small 12v motor, a wooden base, velcro (industrial strength), a few pieces of pipe or wooden dowel, some "L" brackets, and a closet rod holder.

YouTube - Oct 29 2008 - VID00065

Now to add a scrim and find or make a skeleton hand to suspend from the edge of the coffin to give the appearance of someone or some thing opening the coffin.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great job!!! how heavy is that lid? Looks like the motor is slipping slightly just as it passes the 12/11 O'clock position from the weight of the lid. I saw that some others had added a spring to "lighten" the hinged weight. Nice work though !!!!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the kind words!

Great job!!! how heavy is that lid? Looks like the motor is slipping slightly just as it passes the 12/11 O'clock position from the weight of the lid. I saw that some others had added a spring to "lighten" the hinged weight. Nice work though !!!!
It's not terribly heavy, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I can't seem to find the right spring though, all that I've seen are way too sturdy.

The motor sounds like its struggling just a little on the way up and not at all on the way down, but I guess we'll see if it stands the test of time tomorrow night!

·
Registered
35 Posts
What about using one of those Pnuematic door closers? The ones from the front storm door. You can adjust it to just take some of the weight off and still have a smooth open and close.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am looking to make something like this, but want to be able to hide the lift mechanism. I was thinking I would mount the wiper motor on the side and hide the arm inside a corpse arm with hand somehow.
I'm just using some scrim to hide the motor and arm. I might give the wood a quick shot of matte black paint, but basically it will be hidden.

·
Banned
524 Posts
I'm just using some scrim to hide the motor and arm. I might give the wood a quick shot of matte black paint, but basically it will be hidden.
Well here is the problem with mine. The inside of the coffins are lighted with red lights so you will see it no matter if it is painted or not. I am rethinking how I am doing my lighting. So I might just use a par 36 pin inside instead of a flood.

I was thinking more about this tonight. What about mounting the motor on the side of the coffin, the same side the lid will open. But use a blucky arm connected to the wiper motor as the lifting arm? Then bolt the hand to the lid and wrap the fingers around the lid like the arm is opening it? Do you think that would work?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ran into a similar problem. So my solution was to change the way TOTers would see it.

Originally I wanted to have it laying down on its back, but determined that even with scrim (which keep getting blown out of the coffin as it closed) you could see the inner mechanisms. So instead, I decided to lean it against a tree so that the TOTers would only see what I want them to see. Additionally, I added a motion sensor hack to turn on a flood light inside the coffin when they pass by.

I guess we've got about 16 hours before we know if it will really come off like I'd like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts