Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i've seen this before but I can't seem to find the post
I want to change my motion sensor so it doesn't stay on so long. Test mode works but if someone stands infront of it then it's pointless.

thanks again.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've been checking on various inexpensive motion sensors and so far 've only found them to have a minimum of 5 mins before they will turn off. Some of the larger more expensive ones may turn off sooner. What I would recommend if you want it to come on & off when the ToT's' are in front or pass by is a pressure mat. They can be a little pricey but there are instructions on the web for making your own.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
The "test" mode usually gives 4-5 sec on time, I now use the newer light switch motion sensors
as they have 2 adjustment dials,1 for how long on- 4 sec to 15+ min & the other
is a sensor sensitivity. Wire it the same way ! & the best is they only cost $16 at Lowes (HD are $20) & are adjustable !!

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
I know i've seen this before but I can't seem to find the post
I want to change my motion sensor so it doesn't stay on so long. Test mode works but if someone stands infront of it then it's pointless.

thanks again.
Thats the only down fall, but i have (saved somewhere on my pc) a member on another forum that used one of the fog timers (the $15 timers like at the spirit stores the sell seperate)
Figured a way to cut into the wiring & use the timer as an on & delay (for retrigger). I will try to find it & post if you interested.

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
Using a fog machine timer is a very interesting idea that I had never considered. It makes perfect sense however. For more power, you can have it activate a relay instead of the prop directly. Wal-Mart has the Gemmy fog timers for $10 right now. I may need to pickup a few extras to mess around with.

I bought motion sensors security lights that went down to about three seconds. That worked for one prop but not for my air cannon where I needed something more like 1/10th of a second. I also had an issue with reset time since the motion sensor resets immediately and that would cause the prop to run all the time when people were present.

I ended up building my own prop controllers based on interval delay relays. I used two variations of a Dayton 6X603 DTDP relay. One controller has an integrated 12vac power supply for my air cannon and the other just switches an outlet. Both connect to the motion sensors.

So, the motion sensor triggers and starts the relay for whatever time period is set. Then the whole thing sits and waits for the motion sensor to reset before it will fire again. This way I can control prop frequency and duration.

I really need to post some pictures but I've been swamped with projects and just haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
Funny that we all have the trigger thing figured out pretty much, but the reset delay & motion or mat sensored to set off mp3 players
are a little "hole" that we haven't seemed to figure out without alot of expense to buy or extensive to build (for those electronically challenged).
Would be nice to clear these last 2 hurdles.......Would be the next challenge to overcome for 09 !!

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I designed a circuit a while back that can trigger and shut down the cheapo MP3 player, the one that used to be sold by MPJA for $5. It needs a 9VDC 1 sec pulse to charge the cap, and the "on" time is set by a pot. It should work with any MP3 player that requires a button press to start playback.

·
Registered
121 Posts
With the proper relay, you can do just about anything. As you said, cost is the prohibitive factor.

If you don't want to solder I would keep an eye on eBay for a relay to suit your needs. eg a "single shot" timer will stay on for a predetermined time after triggered, a "delay on make" timer will wait a predetermined time after it is triggered before it completes the circuit, "delay on break" will stay on for a predetermined time after it is no longer being triggered.

They also have combinations, like a single shot that will stay on for an adjustable time, but it also has another timer which will prevent it from being triggered for another predetermined time.

You could pay $10 or $70 depending on how lucky you are. The advantage to the motion sensor lights is that they have a motion detector and integrate some of these options.

The one thing the motion sensor lights do not provide is OFF time. eg after the prop is triggered, wait 5 mins before triggering again. You could do this with the proper relay + a simple PIR, or with the right relay and your existing motion sensor lights.

Tim

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
I designed a circuit a while back that can trigger and shut down the cheapo MP3 player, the one that used to be sold by MPJA for $5. It needs a 9VDC 1 sec pulse to charge the cap, and the "on" time is set by a pot. It should work with any MP3 player that requires a button press to start playback.
I read that over on hauntforum,cool board you made,unfortunate that there were not enough takers for it worth your time. The price was right on considering the time you put in to make the prototype 1st. Simpley there are a few cheap ways to do about it,but to make it a proper complete system,it starts to add up a little for those on a tight budget,no thanx to our ever sinking economy !!

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I read that over on hauntforum,cool board you made,unfortunate that there were not enough takers for it worth your time. The price was right on considering the time you put in to make the prototype 1st. Simpley there are a few cheap ways to do about it,but to make it a proper complete system,it starts to add up a little for those on a tight budget,no thanx to our ever sinking economy !!
Yeah, I've been considering offering the board for sale, so those using other triggering methods or controllers could use it, but with it being crunch time right now I probably won't get to it until next season. I made a couple for my own use (animated coffin, Reaper) and they work very well. I may need to find a different MP3 player to hack, as the original "cheapo" looks like it's becoming harder to find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been using a cheap motion sensor from HD. I noticed when it is in the "TEST" mode it will not turn off unless there is a significant load running through it. I was using it to power a small wall wart transformer that would power a lawn sprinkler valve, and it would go on, and stay on forever. I then also hooked a 120vac light to it and it would only stay on for 5 seconds, as advertised. So now my Goul the jumps up has a light highlight him when he gets activated.

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
Single shot relays get more complicated than necessary for this type of circuit. An off delay interval timer relay (or a DPTP like the Dayton I mentioned) does it with the fewest wires.

I still think the fog machine timer is a great way to go. Everything is there for you already and they're dirt cheap.

With the proper relay, you can do just about anything. As you said, cost is the prohibitive factor.

If you don't want to solder I would keep an eye on eBay for a relay to suit your needs. eg a "single shot" timer will stay on for a predetermined time after triggered, a "delay on make" timer will wait a predetermined time after it is triggered before it completes the circuit, "delay on break" will stay on for a predetermined time after it is no longer being triggered.

They also have combinations, like a single shot that will stay on for an adjustable time, but it also has another timer which will prevent it from being triggered for another predetermined time.

You could pay $10 or $70 depending on how lucky you are. The advantage to the motion sensor lights is that they have a motion detector and integrate some of these options.

The one thing the motion sensor lights do not provide is OFF time. eg after the prop is triggered, wait 5 mins before triggering again. You could do this with the proper relay + a simple PIR, or with the right relay and your existing motion sensor lights.

Tim

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have been using a cheap motion sensor from HD. I noticed when it is in the "TEST" mode it will not turn off unless there is a significant load running through it. I was using it to power a small wall wart transformer that would power a lawn sprinkler valve, and it would go on, and stay on forever. I then also hooked a 120vac light to it and it would only stay on for 5 seconds, as advertised. So now my Goul the jumps up has a light highlight him when he gets activated.
So that's why mine is tripping out. I just have it hooked to a washer valve to spray water from our barrel prop. It is in test mode and when it trips it will run 5 seconds stop and run again for about 4 or 5 cycles. I'm going to drop in a flood light on the other open end and give that a try. Thanks for the tip. I have been pulling my hair out.........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts