Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be insane for asking this, but I figured I would try anyway. I have seen the Elevator build 2012 thread and I was wondering if someone could give a tutorial on how to easily build a motion platform for an elevator. I cannot weld, so I don't know how much at a disadvantage this puts me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do not want to spend to much money and I am trying to figure out if there is an inexpensive and easy way to do this.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Well, you'll probably spend $50 to $100 on it if you go the rumble bridge route. Basically, it would be a rumble bridge with an enclosure to act as an elevator car. You won't get up and down motion, but you can provide that illusion by figuring out how to do a floor number simulation over the door, or on a button panel next to the door. The prop elevator car needs to be completely enclosed to empower the illusion, rather than the open industrial elevator structure used in the 2012 build. Giving that thought, you're looking at closer to $100 to build. And have the forethought to build it in such a way that you can use it as an elevator some years and a rumble bridge other years!

If you eventually go full out with the elevator prop, search youtube for video of the guy in Chile who was in a malfunctioning elevator that flew up to the roof at almost 40 mph. Duplicating the doors opening and closing and showing the floors flying by would really boost the scare factor of an elevator prop.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, you'll probably spend $50 to $100 on it if you go the rumble bridge route. Basically, it would be a rumble bridge with an enclosure to act as an elevator car. You won't get up and down motion, but you can provide that illusion by figuring out how to do a floor number simulation over the door, or on a button panel next to the door. The prop elevator car needs to be completely enclosed to empower the illusion, rather than the open industrial elevator structure used in the 2012 build. Giving that thought, you're looking at closer to $100 to build. And have the forethought to build it in such a way that you can use it as an elevator some years and a rumble bridge other years!

If you eventually go full out with the elevator prop, search youtube for video of the guy in Chile who was in a malfunctioning elevator that flew up to the roof at almost 40 mph. Duplicating the doors opening and closing and showing the floors flying by would really boost the scare factor of an elevator prop.
Thank you! Could you tell me what a rumble bridge is and how to build one?

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Thank you! Could you tell me what a rumble bridge is and how to build one?
A rumble bridge is a simple platform structure mounted on springs, with an unbalanced electric motor mounted on the underside. This is usually like a scooter motor or old washer or dryer motor. And arm with a weight on the end is mounted on the drive shaft to unbalance it. As the motor runs, it induces lateral motion, rocking side to side as well as forward and backward, along with vibration in the platform.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/125204-rumble-bridge-how.html

EDIT Not the best tutorial, as Creepy Creations really didn't provide any detail on how to mount the motor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A rumble bridge is a simple platform structure mounted on springs, with an unbalanced electric motor mounted on the underside. This is usually like a scooter motor or old washer or dryer motor. And arm with a weight on the end is mounted on the drive shaft to unbalance it. As the motor runs, it induces lateral motion, rocking side to side as well as forward and backward, along with vibration in the platform.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/125204-rumble-bridge-how.html

EDIT Not the best tutorial, as Creepy Creations really didn't provide any detail on how to mount the motor.
I read somewhere you could use a transducer. What do you think about that?

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I read somewhere you could use a transducer. What do you think about that?
A transducer is by its definition a type of relay system. A sensor takes in some sort of energy and converts it to another form to trigger an actuator. The actuator could be anything from pneumatic or hydraulic systems to electric motors to speakers. A pressure trigger pad wired to an electrical relay connected to a washer motor is in effect a form of transducer. A professional transducer with the power output to shake a rumble bridge will probably set you back a few thousand dollars, considering the scooter and washing machine motors are in the 3/8 to 1.5 horsepower range.

EDIT Also, point out where you read that a rumble bridge could be powered by a transducer. A couple posts ago, you didn't even know what a rumble bridge was.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A transducer is by its definition a type of relay system. A sensor takes in some sort of energy and converts it to another form to trigger an actuator. The actuator could be anything from pneumatic or hydraulic systems to electric motors to speakers. A pressure trigger pad wired to an electrical relay connected to a washer motor is in effect a form of transducer. A professional transducer with the power output to shake a rumble bridge will probably set you back a few thousand dollars, considering the scooter and washing machine motors are in the 3/8 to 1.5 horsepower range.

EDIT Also, point out where you read that a rumble bridge could be powered by a transducer. A couple posts ago, you didn't even know what a rumble bridge was.
Look on fright props.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Look on fright props.
well, you could go that route, but you're looking at at least $270, just for the bit that's going to shake the bridge. To that you have to build the bridge, trigger mechanism, and figure out how you're going to get a sound signal into that transducer.

The only thing they have that I'd suggest buying on a limited budget project are the rubber isolation feet, and right there you're looking at a potential cost of $70 or so for 6 of them (always overbuild moving platforms with at least 50% more weight bearing feet than you'll expect it to need).

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
We did one several years ago built on a wood pallet. We used a manual hydraulic pallet jack to raise and lower it a few inches. It was cheap and easy but had to have someone running it all night.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Andrew, all

Chiming in late on this thread but thought I'd post some pics of my unit. Although mine maybe more elaborate than your budget/skills allow this year there are features you maybe able to do this year and add/improve upon next year. I used an old trailer axle and rim to make a metal turntable and built a 4X4X7' room on top of it. As you'll see in the pictures I've used more than one motor on this unit over the 4 years in use (year 5 coming up). Mostly changed due to rotation speed. I used medical bed/ reclining bed motors and controllers on this but a treadmill motor controller would rotate it well if geared right.

An easier feature would be to get a hold of an old treadmill, paint it like brick and mount it on the outside opposite of the door (per pic). I ran the controller inside and can adjust the speed of descent (I rotate elevator and drop them off in a new area as I do that 8^) (It looked nicer before the zombies tore it all up 8^(
Halloween 088.jpg

I added caster wheels on the corners due to the loads it handles and the shifts in weight when attacked via the secret ankle doors 8^o and another motor to the outside (I keep telling myself I'm going to cut one of them out and fix that repair hack but it's lasted 3 years so why fix what isn't broken I say.

Hellavator window.jpg

Halloween 089.jpg

Lastly is the window pic from inside with expanded metal to keep small fingers safe. I painted a steel beam to add effect as it can get spinning really fast. I use a flicker light cap it all off well besides the dead creepy guy you're stuck in a 4X4' room with. That all said, if you ask around someone has to have an old treadmill they'd be willing to part with for a good cause or for cheap. Turning could be done and I've had to do it by hand. the wife and I took turns turning/running it one year when it was too slow with the first motor a bit small for the solid use it got.
Anyway, hope this helps with some ideas and inspires for add ons.

Jim

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts