·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
265 Posts
They work ok...

I have a few of these, and use them in a few props.......I think range is about 6 feet or so...wide cone range...audio is clear, but not CD quality, but it works fine for short screams, bursts of sound...I think it's only 20 second recording...contains output jack to external amp / speaker...easy to use, and there is a sensitivity control knob on it so you can adjust the IR sensor...not bad for $20...:D

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
craigsrobotics, Thank you for the brief review! That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Seems to be a nice, simple all inclusive little package but I was hoping it had a little longer record/playback duration. Still, as you say not bad at all for $20! :O)

·
Registered
51 Posts
this same item is 150.00 at a company that sells timers and sound recorders to the haunt industry. when i seen it on there website i knew i had seen it somewhere before a few years back. now i know i use to get there catalog and i think i was going for 39 or 49 then. seen it on sale one time for 29 so for 20 you cant beat it

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
Anybody know of any more of these or where to get them?
Or maybe a better product now?

If you do please post some links...

Thanks
I made my own by hacking security light motion sensors, hacking a cheap MP3 player, and using a programmable relay.

Mine probably cost $50 bucks in parts, took a lot of work, and required specialized knowlege.

If these things are available for $20, get them.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My thought is to hack a cheap mp3 player, a pir sensor and a small computer speaker all together to make the same thing. By doing that, you'll even get more versatiliy as you can input any mp3 you want.

Now the trick is to find an easy inexpensive way to do this... I'm thinking the following links will be of use, especially the "PIR Hack" as it provides a way to use a PIR powered on mains to start virtually anything using it's built in relay:

AUTOMAT3D Blog Archive Motion Sensor Switched Output Hack

Also, this recent thread briefly explains a couple ways to hack an mp3 player:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/64447-digital-voice-recorder-hack.html

I'll let you know my progress on this. Should be interesting for someone who has not "hacked" much before! LOL

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm... kinda all in one once you add the PIR sensor... Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
319 Posts
hmmmm, well hauntcrazy, that is what im looking for!
little costly but looks like its well worth the price.
I think I will get a few of these and try them out.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

btw Grimsly, your links are both the same page...

Thank you guys very much for finding this stuff for me!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hehehe... oops! Thanks Kammo!

I like the cowlicious design but my goal was to do this with very little cost. I already have the speaker, I've got a line on the PIR sensor, not all I need is a very inexpensive mp3 player that doesn't "auto-shut off"!

:OP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to bump an older topic like this, but I came up with an easy, cheap and dirty hack that might interest you. Coincidentally, motion activated sound effects were what brought me here in the first place!

I wired a security light to run off an extension cord, and mounted it in the ceiling of my garage on a sheet of plywood. No need to open up the electronics even, just wire the cord directly to the leads. Then I put screw-in plug adapters into each of the light sockets. When the motion sensor is tripped, it sends electricity into two devices. (I know this has been covered elsewhere, just covering my bases by being as clear as possible)

The first plug was hooked to a strobe light, pointed at a chainsaw hanging from the wall. The second plug was hooked into a cheap pair of externally-powered computer speakers. The audio plug from them was hooked into the headphone jack of an MP3 player, which had a 10-second clip of a chainsaw sound effect playing on loop.

Basically, the sound effect was always playing, but the speakers weren't on until the motion sensor was tripped. The whole rig was put on the plywood as well (for safety), and covered with a scrim (except for the motion sensor, obviously).

It's not as pretty as building a custom circuit, but for ~$30 total it worked pretty well, and I got a lot of complements. I already had the MP3 player and the extension cords though, so your cost may vary. It has the added benefit that it can easily be disassembled and fitted with different effects.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dr. Sketch, I like the concept! I'm thinking that'll work really well for something like my thunder/lightning track & strobe! I will have to try that out sometime before next year! Thanks for th idea!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts