Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
I watched the you tube video Life-casting Tips: Gel-00 Severed Hand
my question is, I want to make multiples of a hand,but alginate is only good for one or two casts.how would I make a mold to cast more than one?
and can anyone recommend any forums,sites,dvd's,books about the subject?

·
Registered
150 Posts
For a latex prop you could make an alginate mold of your hand (or another model), and pour in some melted Monster Makers clay. It has a very low melting point, and captures a great deal of texture (www.monstermakers.com). I always like to put the alginate and clay into the freezer for a day to get it really hard, then I cut away and pull off the alginate. You could go in and sculpt wounds and textures, or just go ahead and make your hydrocal/ultracal mold. The one trick that we find extremely helpful is that right before you begin putting on plaster, spray the clay with PLEDGE. It not only makes the room smell nice, but is a quick. clean, cheap mold release. We just spray it in and lightly brush it out before molding. Allows the clay to just pop right out of the mold.

Hope this helps,

Jim
TITANFX
www.titanfx.org
The only high school visual effects class in the world.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks murray and jim,
Jim I think I'll try that;now that I understand what monster clay is.I was thinking it was like monster mud,but read it's a oil based clay or Plasticine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts