Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I need help finding stuff to make these costumes... My 5 y/o is dead set that this is what she wants us to be and we are just getting started I found a bunch of stuff on Amazon but its kinda pricey and mostly for adults... I can't sew and I don't know anyone who can... Ill post my progress as we get things but ideas would be welcome for things like wigs or the twinkle bell or staff... Thanks guys!!! I'm so excited to do this!! Lol

·
Registered
705 Posts
Aw, that's a good mother/daughter costume idea.

Cosplaysupplies.com has some wigs that are already styled (shorter SM for $25, longer for $34, no chibi-moon). For CM wig, I think you could probably do a pink pigtail wig with bangs, then some egg-shaped foam pieces glued to barrettes.

For the costumes, a dance type leotard or even a close fitting v-neck t-shirt with some total coverage matching granny panties might do. Then some fabric for the skirt and sailor collar could be fabric glued or velcro-ed on, along with the bows. Fabric glue, velcro, stitch witchery or iron on hem tape will probably be a big help for this since you said you don't sew.

I'd do the boots like your standard costume boot-covers (or like old-fashioned gaiters) with some velcro overlap in the calf area to keep them in place and to help with on/off. A little elastic band glued onto the bottom for under the foot.

For the props, I say papier mache, maybe over a paper towel roll or dowel rod for the handle base. You can make the gemstones for the brooches and wands like this site shows.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,584 Posts
Im not sure what your budget is, or how detailed you want this to be. There is going to be either alot of effort on your part or some money spent to make everything show "accurate". If you just want the essence of the character and still pull it off with the least amount of effort/money, I would suggest going the t-shirt route. Its actually something costume stores are pushing right now so its a popular idea. No muss no fuss and all that. Plus your lil one has a huge imagination at that age, so I think the shirt route wont be a problem. Win win for you and her.

So for you, you can buy your shirt here--> http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/PopCulture/ShopByPopCulture/License/SailorMoon/Sailor+Moon+Uniform+Girls+Muscle+Tank+Top-10011073.jsp
And then pair it with a blue skirt and red knee high socks with red pumps. Add white gloves, (they are cheap) and then put your hair into pigtails or buy hair extensions. (the wig will be the biggest investment here).

For her you can make a design for chibi moon and iron onto a shirt with a shirt transfer. Add a pink skirt or make a cheap n easy tutu (its ridiculously easy and did I mention cheap? :) Or if you can paint you can do puffy paint onto a shirt with the design. If you want to splurge on her, heres a good shop--> http://www.etsy.com/listing/90781910/childs-sailor-chibi-mini-moon-costume?ref=related-0 and a wig--> http://compare.ebay.com/like/261256038057?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar Also most of the styled wigs I ever bought from chinese sellers run small, because they are small people in general.

I have a sailor moon wig I just bought from them and it doesnt fit me, Im going to sell it, if you want to buy it from me I can offer it for $12 plus shipping. I paid over $20 plus shipping so this is a good deal. The wig itself looks great and has a skintop, just seems more fit for a child. I can give you the measurements of the inside at its largest (its adjustable to go even smaller). Just let me know soon because I plan to list it on ebay in the near future.

·
I am the one who knocks
1,939 Posts
BuyCostumes has an adult Sailor Moon costume on sale (22.46), plus two wig choices (12.99 vs. 22.99). Unfortunately, the only Chibi costumes I've seen are cosplay, and the prices are high. A white leotard/bathing suit with a pink skirt would work for the main part of the costume.

You wouldn't need much pink and red fabric to make the sailor collar and bow, and you could put your daughter's hair in pigtails with spray-on or comb-in pink. As for the tiara and hair pieces, Michaels is your friend. The first time I dressed up as Sailor Moon, I relied on paint, poster board, sheets of foam, and hairpins. I'd also recommend cruising the aisles for items you can turn into props. The second time I dressed as (Super) Sailor Moon, I relied more on fabrics and I bought the wand and locket I needed, but buying props now, especially rare items like Chibi's clarion bell, is too expensive. I was floored by how much people paid for my used items on eBay. Making props might be more fun to your daughter.

Good luck with the costumes; you'll both have a lot of fun, I think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts