Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after working diligently on my mausoleum facade over our screened in porch complete with ghosts and ghouls being projected from inside... it turns out that the goofy projection of the singing jack-o-lanterns was the most wildly popular. As in parents yelling, begging, and finally dragging the youngsters away from the jacks. Go figure!

mausoleum
https://www.facebook.com/larinda/videos/vb.628131718/10153713289161719/?type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/hauntingofgreenberry/photos/pb.666486533363099.-2207520000.1446496328./1057255294286219/?type=3&theater

jack-o-lanterns
https://www.facebook.com/hauntingofgreenberry/videos/vb.666486533363099/1060004837344598/?type=3&theater

What was your wildly popular addition this year??

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Your mausoleum looks FANTASTIC! Really love it! While I think we got the most compliments on the overall yard, the things that probably made the biggest impression were the jumping spider (as always), a remote-controlled pop-up demon that we hid in the front grasses, and my Dad, who sat on a bench and scared people as they came in or out.

·
Registered
706 Posts
We have tried in the past to build an axworthy flying ghost, and it was always a soul-wrecking, relationship-destroying disaster. That's an axworthy for you.

Broke down this year, bought the kit from fright props, and with a little construction ingenuity (and still quite a bit of frustration in the set up) we officially have an axworthy flying BAT. It was great, and people really noticed it. The thing is a toilet paper tube shoved inside a paper towel tube, trimmed and folded into shape, with craft foam wings. It flaps around like a fake bat out of the classic horror films, all wobbly and unstable - looks really good. No problems with it, no breakdowns - it just worked! So nice. And this is one of the few things we can do ahead of time, then just clip the prop on and plug it in on the big day.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Some people are just mean. My son was really tall for his age and some old lady yelled at him and said "oh no , your not getting any candy, your too big". He was so embarrassed he never went again :( Think about all the wonderful interactions you had that night and let go of the negative ones. People like that enjoy bringing you down.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Home Depot Cauldron Sisters!!!! This was definitely a big hit in the neighborhood. I set it up with a fog machine going to the cauldron and shined a gemmy fire spot light on them. I knew I had a hit when parents took pictures of their kids with it. The one mistake I made was I removed the foam over the arms when I was de-trashing it. This gives the arms bulk. I'll replace it with some pipe wrap foam next year and maybe add some foam to bulk up the bodies. I have a simple display in the front yard with a FCG and breathing grave. I had added the perfect storm lightning effect last year and agree that was also a great addition.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,118 Posts
Ha!

We had something of a similar experience.

I thought this guy was going to be the one that the ToTs would gravitate towards:

However, it turned out to be these guys:

Each year, I'm absolutely convinced that I know which thing will be the one, and I think I'm wrong about 50% of the time. :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Love the mausoleum! Been meaning to tackle this project to fill a vacant spot in the yard but didn't want to try the flying ghost. But the projections will work! Thanks for the inspiration.

·
Registered
606 Posts
At first I saw your masoleum and thought that's where I'd spend countless minutes staring. I love/fear that projection. It reminds me of the skull in the closet from the original Poltergeist movie. And I have singing pumpkins, so I thought that wouldn't be my main focus.

THEN I looked at your jack video. LOVE the scarecrow. And I was chuckling at the pumpkins! I have that AtmosFearFX dvd, but didn't remember the silly faces at all because we only use the songs. I think we're going to have to add those to our playlist now. GREAT JOB!

I think the most popular addition for us were the hitchhiking ghosts static figures. Parents and kids posed next to them. I didn't anticipate that. We had the caretaker too, but he wasn't lit up enough. I need to figure out how to best disguise a light in the middle of the concrete driveway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We added the ever popular "jumping spider" to our little yard haunt at the last moment and wouldn't you know it. It was the most talked about, most fun prop of the night. Going to have to add a remote control instead of the foot pad next year so we don't scare off the little ones before they even make it in to get candy.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Wow your props are great! I like them both..... for us it is always me dressed as Michael Myers..... people just love him
and are scared of him. One year I was in the desert for training (Im in the Army) and we didn't set up the yard. My wife
just sat outside and handed out candy. She said everyone was asking, where is Michael Myers? My wife said they were
bummed out lol. She told them, he's out in the desert....LOL

Halloween2012.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Lots of great stuff here! I love your mausoleum, chachabella!
It's kind of funny-- you never know what will catch people's attention. This year for me, it was the basic window peeper. I've had him quite a while. It was in the kitchen last year, and was hardly noticed, but in the bathroom this year it definitely caught people's attention. ("You've gotta go look in the bathroom!") I had things I'd put hours of effort into-- unique stuff, but the peeper was the thing most remarked-on.
Last year it was the large jumping spider outside. I gave that prop a rest this year, so it wouldn't be so anticipated. It will go back to work next year.

·
black light queen
2,537 Posts
after wanting to for several years, i finally built a laser vortex ... these things are amazing :) ... if anything, my fog machine with froggy's bog fog put out too much fog that lingered too long for optimum laser vortex viewing ... never thought i'd complain about too much fog or fog that lingered too long, lol :)

of course had a front window projection and another in the back of one of the graveyards ... been meaning to do the pumpkin projections also for several years ... yeah, its still on my to do list :)

amk

·
Registered
606 Posts
So after working diligently on my mausoleum facade over our screened in porch complete with ghosts and ghouls being projected from inside... it turns out that the goofy projection of the singing jack-o-lanterns was the most wildly popular. As in parents yelling, begging, and finally dragging the youngsters away from the jacks. Go figure!

mausoleum
https://www.facebook.com/larinda/videos/vb.628131718/10153713289161719/?type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/hauntingofgreenberry/photos/pb.666486533363099.-2207520000.1446496328./1057255294286219/?type=3&theater

jack-o-lanterns
https://www.facebook.com/hauntingofgreenberry/videos/vb.666486533363099/1060004837344598/?type=3&theater

What was your wildly popular addition this year??
Chachabella, can I ask where did you get that skull projection from your first video? I can't find it on either AtmosFearFX nor Spectral Illusion's sites. I must know! It scares the bejeebus out of me!!!

FOUND IT! AtmosFearFX, Phantasms, Wicked Wraith, Face of Death! I have to get that one for next year!!!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I picked only one prop at spirit this year. Even though I though the twitching banshee was awesome and I came close to buying it, I went with crawling cathy. It has an always on setting and I knew I would like that, and I certainly did. So did the Tots! That really got everyone's attention.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts