Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that the term "Outrageous" is very subjective, but what the heck. What is the most outrageous, over-the-top thing that you have used or done for Hallowe'en Night?

In my experience it would have to be using either live rats or a real Human Skeleton. We used the rats three consecutive years and they were a huge hit every time. The authentic skeleton was more hassle than it was worth. In Canada you need a permit to Transport Human Remains. Getting the permit wasn't too bad. The trips between the University and our house, with a skeleton sitting in the passengers seat, now that was something else.

What about you guys?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was thinking about doing live mealworms or wax worms (they look like maggots) since I also feed them to my geckos, but how would you contain them throughout the night?

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MEAL WORMS, Oh, why didn't I think of that??? They would have been perfect with our "dismembered heads" prop. The heads, three of them, were in an illuminated Glass Aquarium right at eye-level for a 12 year-old kid. The rats were given only water for three days, then, just before opening the doors, we put peanut butter on the heads. You get the picture. The "maggots" would have been a crowning touch.

For the unititiated, meal worms are used as food by reptile and tropical fish keepers. They look like 3/4" long maggots, quite gross if you've never seen them before...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well, I used a loaner "used" coffin from a funeral home (see my Forum pics album for 2007) to display a skeleton in 2007.

The past couple of years I have put live black widow spider (sealed well!) in a jar along with my apothecary jars. People get really freaked after I see them pick it up -- they are thinking it's plastic -- and I tell them to look again and see her move around. They put it down very quickly. I had a few women shutter (Yea!!) My next live thing to get (if my wife gives me her okay) is a live Goliath spider (world's largest species).

-Doc

·
Registered
450 Posts
I was thinking about doing live mealworms or wax worms (they look like maggots) since I also feed them to my geckos, but how would you contain them throughout the night?
Last year I bought a "bag" of glowing maggots at the Costume shop. I put about 50 in a small glass jar and after you shook them up, they kind of slid around and wriggled around for a while because they are kinda sticky, yet squishy soft plastic (like the fake worms used for fishing lures). Very easy and creepy.

-Doc

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
My pet white rat, Stitchface.
He was HUGE, had one eye and a scarred face. Sadly departed this life 4 years ago.
I was given him by the local pet shop as he had fought with another rat and was deemed unsellable due to his facial injuries. He was originally intended as food for Cleo, my African Rock Python. however I became very attached to him and vice versa..he would happily sit on my shoulder throughout Halloween night and was a hit with the TOT's.
He was very calm and friendly, (although he would rip your arm off for a cheesy puff...):)

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
I cant really put anything down yet because this ear will be my first...

But I remember having a halloween party and hiring out a industrial fogger, and just holding down the button for 5 minutes....

Lets just say you could not see your feet it was that foggy....

Ruggerz

·
Registered
796 Posts
I dressed as a priest handcuffed to a baby doll and I whipped it with a cat of nine tails. This was just after the Father Porter story broke which lead to the bigger church scandal. I received a lot of "Oh no you didn't" looks all night.

·
Bringing the Dead to Life
839 Posts
Well, this was before I did a yard haunt...I put on a firework display on halloween night 3 years ago. It lasted a little less than 2 hours. I hired a pyrotechnist so I wouldnt have to deal with getting a permit, buying fireworks out of season, setting up and running it, etc. It took him one day (I think Oct. 29th) to set everything up. It looked great, and had great colors (orange, purple, etc.), but let's just say that when I got the bill, I decided that it would be a once in a lifetime event. That's when I decided that I needed to do something else for Halloween (I did my first yard haunt 2 yrs ago).

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, once-in-a-lifetime, so it is. But that's one MORE time than the mass of humanity would ever consider splurging on their dream. I say, "Good for you, Brother". That's what Hallowe'en is all about. Going overboard.

·
Registered
151 Posts
A used casket. What was it a repo? Somebody missed a payment?:D
I try real hard not to go hard core with the decorations. I want to make it scary for the kids, but not to the point they have a accident.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
We had a dance troupe of 50 kids ranging from 3 to 17 years of age come to our Halloween party in full zombie costumes. We blocked off the street, cranked the stereo, fired up the foggers and they danced to Thriller and a medley of other spooky songs. There were 2 News Crews there to record the dance for the nightly news. Every neighbor within blocks came out to watch! The dance troupe was from a friend of mine's professional Dance Studio, she had choreographed the dance and they had been performing at the local Haunted Houses, Haunted Woods and Boo at the Zoo. She was gracious enough to bring out her whole crew to do a performance at my party-it was awesome!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Dancers

We had a dance troupe of 50 kids ranging from 3 to 17 years of age come to our Halloween party in full zombie costumes. We blocked off the street, cranked the stereo, fired up the foggers and they danced to Thriller and a medley of other spooky songs. There were 2 News Crews there to record the dance for the nightly news. Every neighbor within blocks came out to watch! The dance troupe was from a friend of mine's professional Dance Studio, she had choreographed the dance and they had been performing at the local Haunted Houses, Haunted Woods and Boo at the Zoo. She was gracious enough to bring out her whole crew to do a performance at my party-it was awesome!
That must have been awesome! Any vid or pics?

-Doc

·
Registered
450 Posts
A used casket. What was it a repo? Somebody missed a payment?:D
I try real hard not to go hard core with the decorations. I want to make it scary for the kids, but not to the point they have a accident.
The casket (you can see it in the pics) is a lightweight version for "temporary display". A funeral company from Gainesville came, set it up, (even with the rolling portion and skirt) and came on removed...at no charge. You can find it online at most casket online stores. It was made of particle board with satin lining and pillows. I repaired one of the hinges that was unstable.

-Doc

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
I realize that the term "Outrageous" is very subjective, but what the heck. What is the most outrageous, over-the-top thing that you have used or done for Hallowe'en Night?
I'll take this a different direction.

My younger brother and I....

Let me set the stage.

By this point, my younger brother and I had built our house into a destination on Halloween. And, helped by the ludicrous treat givers, the neighborhood was a destination for 200-300 ToT's on Halloween.

Now, my Aunt/uncle lived kitty corner to my parents, and my aunt would also go all out for Halloween, if on the cutesy side.

This particular year, Spud was hiding in our walnut tree out on the curb, hopping down at kiddos, and in between, had decided to play a prank on my Aunt/Uncle. He had a nice view of their living room and TV from where he was perched, so he got a universal remote and started flipping their channels, shutting it off, etc. Watching my Uncle get more and more agitated.

Eventually, my Uncle figured it out, and spied Spud in the tree. We watched him for 40 minutes rummaging in his back yard, then this ladder goes up, and he's climbing his roof.

He get's up there, turns on a spotlight, and presents us with a full moon.

Naturally this means war

Imagine 2 teenagers in nothing but a very thin sheet, waiting for ToT's to clear out of my Uncles porch so they can go racing through his house...minus sheet.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Doc, unfortunately, my video camera died during the dance. I have the news report somewhere on a VHS tape. I'll look for it. Cool casket.

That is hysterical, UnOrthodox, I'll bet your Uncle was scared sheetless!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts