Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran my yearly haunted house last night and usually there's a lot of tears and that's always been the extent of it, however this year (and I class this as an accomplishment) one girl genuinely pee'd herself with fear!!

I was wondering, what is the most outrageous thing that's happened at members' haunts - be it to you, to the attendees, the haunt itself etc etc.

I have a video and photographs from my haunt that I'll be posting up in the next few days :)

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I've been punched, had kids drop their entire bags of candy and run, a few kids have fallen on their butt in fright, been sworn at, had one kid sit on the ground, curl into a ball and hide his face (embarrassed the heck out of his father), and uncounted numbers of expletives thrown around as people jump and scream.

My favorite was the girl who thought there was someone hiding in a box where I had my fog machine, and she backed up right into me (I was dressed as a scarecrow, and she actually thought I wasn't real). She kept telling the box, "I know you're there - you're not going to scare me!!".
Just as she was about to bump into me, I let out a low "boo" (not loud at all), and I swear she lifted off the ground, turned in mid air, and started running before she touched back down.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Some years ago we had a woman in our neighbourhood, Linda, who had two little boys. They attended every haunted house. That year Linda was pregnant with their third child. VERY pregnant. We were doing a huge walk-through, something like seven rooms. My wife mentioned to Linda that she might want to skip the show that year. But Linda was adamant, no way she was gonna miss the haunt. That year we had a group of Mormon Missionaries helping in the haunt, part of their Community Service. Also, the Hospital Administrator, also a Mormon, had "donated" an ambulance to stand by at the haunt. The idea was, the haunt was so scary, so many people having heart attacks, that a full time team of paramedics was required.
Anyway, we're showing guests through, a dozen at a time, when the wife said, "Linda and her boys are in this group". So I asked the actors to tone it down for the next group. Fat chance of that happening. So I checked with Linda a couple of times as she waddled her way through, hands clutching her belly, laughing, and she was fine.
But when we came to the second to last room, where Mrs. Bates brandishes a knife and a chainsaw maniac runs in under a strobe light while the music from the shower scene in Psycho blares at 90 decibels, Linda hit the deck. I didn't see it, I was watching the guests escape by crossing a swinging suspension bridge above a bottomless canyon. Mrs. Bates called me saying something was up with Linda. We turned the lights on, killed the music and I saw Linda, down on all fours, laughing, a pool of blood between her knees. Her water had just broke and her kids had run away.
Anyway, we NEEDED the ambulance after all! And people in the line up thought it was all part of the show!
We ran the haunt over two nights and Linda had come through on the 30th. Later, after we'd shut the haunt down, gotten showered and were getting into bed, my wife called Linda's phone to check on her. No answer. So she drove down to the hospital. Sure enough, Linda had given birth just after midnight. A baby girl that she and her husband dearly wanted after the boys. Ahhh, the Magic of Halloween!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
One very little girl faked a fainting spell in front of me....just dropped flat onto the cold wet cement. Her mom shook at her and she was just limp and never broke stride. Scared the heck out of me....little snot...LOL!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've put on a Haunted House in one form or another for nine years running now. Wow I hadn't realized it was that long. Well a couple of years ago we ran it for a local school. We did it for one night during their fall festival, we'd had over a hundred people come through and were finished for the night. I was taking down props when I heard a small voice from the doorway. "Hey, don't scare me." I turned around and saw a young boy about six or seven. He was watching me with concern but no great fear. "Hey, don't scare me. I already peed my pants." I stifled a laugh, and assured him the scaring was over. He came in and looked carefully around and told me how much fun he had. Easily one of the highlights since I started doing this.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Several kids have peed their costume-pants at our front arbor and refused to come in any further. None this year, I don't think, but I was kind of busy.

Usually someone throws their candy at one of us, usually accompanied by some "no, go away, leave me alone, don't follow me" etc.

Also usually some kid who tries to ward us off with a plastic prop weapon or their candy sack.

(You see where the candy we find in the yard all year 'round comes from?)

One kid, three years ago, who ran through six times. Get freaked out by something, run the rest of the way, come back and point at the scary thing, get scared by the next one he missed the previous trip. That was great, though. He and his Dad came back this year.

My best, the teenagers. I'll just follow them down the street. Don't say anything, don't sneak up, just follow them off the property. Oh, they're nervous. One this year threatened me with a skateboard. Couple years back, I got a whole load of 'em, as the adult driving the pickup truck wouldn't go very fast and I could just slowly walk along behind as they screamed "go, go!"

·
Registered
151 Posts
Had an older TOT stuck in our mine corridor she was frozen in terror. She came in with a group of five and all of them could not budge her and she hunkered down in fear yelling. Everyone telling her let's go and she could not move. Other TOTs were just walking past them looking like she was part of the haunt. Was a good five minutes until she moved only because my brother dressed in his ghost miner outfit came around the other side and scared her back into reality and she and her friends ran in terror into the night. I was off in the side and just looked at her; amazed how powerful fear is in some people.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Our goal is to have little ones clinging to their parents, but not up all night with nightmares.

It's a fine line, and there's the occasional case where the child in inconsolable. I've been hit in the head with buckets of candy, had a few tears, and I'm guessing the toddler pants left in our yard the one year were the result of a little pee...or I literally scared the pants off someone...

So, our stuff is meant to be 'scary' to wee ones, but just cool to older kids.

Couple years back, however, I was totally unprepared for this one teenager. 13+, boy, with a group of 4. And, he started dropping the F bombs as soon as they come around the corner. "What the F is that?"

I first thought he was just PRETENDING to be scared and poking fun at me. I was fine with that, some kids haven't been taught and all. However, the other 3 attempted to get him to come through, attempted to DRAG him through, and he ripped away screaming. "What F movie is that? I thought you said this was all just movies!"

The other 3 go on through, and he's across the street dropping a continual line of F bombs at the top of his lungs. Now, I got little kids coming up, and he keeps just right on cussing up a storm. Parents are telling him to tone it down, and he's just GONE off the deep end. So, I step across the rope, break character a bit and ask him to just move along, as his friends have now exitted. He asks me what (f) movie I was doing, and I just told him honestly, this isn't from a movie, it's all mine, and walk back to the haunt content that this was over.

Well, his friends kept pushing him to come over, and the continued line of cussing increased. Now, I had abandoned my prop earlier in the night as being annoying, but I had lost patience with this kid. So, I went and reached behind the fence and picked up my (real) scythe and turn towards the group. I hear a line of explitives about my nice fake weapon, and cut a pumpkin in half on my way walking to duck under the rope fence.

His friends are now laughing, trying to get him to just move on, and he just keeps tearing away and upping the volume, so I start dragging that blade on the concrete behind me, and he bolts. At the end of my property, I figure the point was made and turn back...so he comes and starts harrassing some more. Fine, it's on. I follow him around the block and down a bit as he bolts into his home. His parents grab him, and are chewing him out for his language, door still open, and his dad sees me walking towards the house. He lets the kid go, looks at me coming up the stairs, and just mutters "up the stairs, first door on the right".

He was curled up screaming in a corner. Tossed him a full size bar, said Happy Halloween, and left.

He's never come back.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I don't do a scary haunt. Mine is more kid friendly, as I have little ones at home right now. I still have tiny ToTs that get scared to walk the path up to the house, but they usually get going once they see other people moving along, or their parent(s) walk with them.

What was new for me this year was we had our first drunk visitor. We had a group of adults come through and one woman, in her forties, was plastered. Her friends had to help her walk around and, although she did try and compliment me on the house, her speech was extremely difficult to follow. Good news is she didn't hurt anything, she wasn't too loud or obnoxious, and she was only there for ten minutes or so.

A friend who runs a yard haunt close to me had a worse experience on Halloween. She had a car drive by (very slowly) looking at her haunt and it jumped up on the sidewalk and the car's passenger mirror struck and broke my friend's taillight. The driver kept going, but it's a dead end road, so when the car turned around and came back, my friend was standing in the middle of the road and slammed her hands on the hood of the car to get the driver to stop. When the driver (another woman in her forties) stopped, she practically fell out of her car. She was very drunk. Unlike my benign experience, this one ended with a call to the police and an exchange of insurance information.

Has anyone else had to deal with drunks at their haunt?

·
Registered
668 Posts
We had a couple last year who were obviously drunk, but not causing problems. I was in the fortune teller booth at that point, and they wanted a fortune told. The lady drew the card, and I was a little distracted thinking "OMG, you're drunk", so I mumbled something about unicorns and rainbows (I'm using a set of tarot that incorporate both) and she was totally happy. "OMG, I love unicorns and rainbows!!" Ooooooookay lady. Thank you. Come again.

·
Defender of Blucky Honor
1,051 Posts
I had two boys get into an argument with my animatronic talking zombie chef. They got so mad that they started to threaten to hurt him!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Our biggest surprise this year was weather related, of course. It was raining really hard on Halloween, the entire day and night. We notice the car canopy (the spider tunnel) was tilting a bit, even if it was secured with concrete blocks (NOT GOOD!). We ran inside and saw that huge pool of rain water had collected between the top corners of the poles (due the amount of water it rained so quick and quantity in little time). We panicked and pushed hard on the ceiling, emptying the pools of water, spalshing hard everywhere. It's a good think we saw it, as it would have buckled in another 10 minutes, the entire tunnel.

Then, the next day, huge winds completely ripped it to shreddes, the entire metal bars twisted and ripped appart... FUN!

Thank God, we emptied it most of it before going to bed of all the spiders and props...

Still sucks, hundred of dollars gone... I don't think it can be repaired... we will see..

·
Registered
169 Posts
"Fine, it's on. I follow him around the block and down a bit as he bolts into his home. His parents grab him, and are chewing him out for his language, door still open, and his dad sees me walking towards the house. He lets the kid go, looks at me coming up the stairs, and just mutters "up the stairs, first door on the right".

He was curled up screaming in a corner. Tossed him a full size bar, said Happy Halloween, and left. "

Oh my God, I nearly spewed my coffee all over my laptop when reading this. LOVE IT.

I missed this but my daughter informed us that she had walked up behind a teen guy and scared him (that was her job). He proceeds to poke her in the stomach with his plastic sword which she grabs and tells him to stop. Then WHAM, he grabs her shoulders and throws her to the ground. Where she said he stood over her for a full minute. She's 5'5" and maybe weighs 100 pounds. Unfortunately I wasn't there and there were so many people around that her dad missed it. I told her if it happens again she has permission to find their most sensitive spot and kick or grab as hard as she can.
Planning on posting a sign next year that says Don't touch and you won't get touched.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Outrageous. I did not manage time well. Our coven structure was built but nothing on the inside was completed. Nor were any of the Coven props assembled. I now have to re-pack them and store them without having shown them this year. I have GOT to do better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
well I don't personally own the haunt but I did work there, let's see the clown trailer caught on fire because the technical staff didn't put oil in the generator out back and not a single actor knew where the first extinguishers were.. the same trailer someone fell threw the floor but the higher ups did "patch work" and kept it open...
drunk tram driver running over some one's foot.... patrons breaking walls/props... I could keep going and going ha ha..

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm planning on doing my first haunt this year. Wish me luck! I'm glad I'm reading through all of these horror stories beforehand so I can hopefully make some plans and preparations for them. Thanks for blazing the trail, fellow Halloween enthusiasts!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
When dealing with the "public".. you will never have," Have Seen it All". Nope. 27 years now. OPEN almost every night for those twenty-seven years, people can still surprise me, upset me, make me wonder about their up-bringing?
A very unusual thing happened here maybe three years ago.
It was a busy October night , non-stop crowds.
When it's like this all I can do is maybe 15 MIN. routine in the first room versus me taking them all the way through the house the rest of the year, which is a 60 to 90 minute involvement for me.
In the middle of all of this, my wife says:"There's a man in the next room who has to talk to YOU Right Now!" "?"
Here is a middle -aged man and a blonde little girl, maybe 10?
"Do you have a special effect here of a little girl with long dark hair appearing then disappearing wearing an old-fashion, long silky Purple dress?"
"No.. we .. don't. why?"
"OH! ?"
His little girl had seen such a person, she was not afraid of her.. until she noticed that the other little girl had No Reflection in the mirror on the wall behind her!
That was when she cried out! Her Daddy came back around the 90 degree corner "Rescued" her, took her outside, tried to calm her down, then he thought:"Maybe it's just a special effect?"
Some of my helpers that night began to "Poo-poo" her story, but that is the same part of this old , 1870 Inn where a former renter here told me once and awhile he would see a glimpse of a little girl wearing old 1890 style clothing walk across an open doorway .
I think some of my Helpers were trying not to allow themselves to become too afraid themselves by saying the little Daddy's girl was fibbing.
Yet, some of them have also had some "Experiences" here. Sometimes they didn't come in the next night.. just "because"...?
There have also been some helpers who never came back after experiencing the unexplainable here.
My Wife thought me "Silly" but I did begin asking potential employees if they would be too afraid to work here because of such actual haunted possibilities?
Funny thing is too... those unexplainable things always seem to "ramp-Up" in the Fall, usually in October.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
As Far As Those Funny Things

Things that make us laugh seeing people do them, say them. I have So Many of those times to mention, but I already have, right here on this forum.
Believe it or not, I actually do hesitate to type them down if they are from too far in the past because I don't want to endlessly be repeating myself, and seem as if I am testing for an early, one-way ride scholarship to the Nursing Home!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts