Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every day the great United States of America because less of a great country. Now an entire school district is canceling Halloween due to the PC police. The American traditions are being stripped away each and every day and I for one am tired of this nonsense. There is a petition available to sign and I challenge each and every member of this forum to join in. The petition currently requires an additional 138 signatures and with the amount of support this forum has can easily be obtained.

Regards,

Craig Rupert

https://www.change.org/p/board-of-education-bring-back-our-american-traditions-to-our-schools-83ee23a3-54d6-40d5-a30c-7a16666568fb

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
This is what happens when you let the diversity genie out of the bottle. You can have tradition, or you can have diversity, but you can't have both. If you want to trade the beliefs and traditions of thousands to respect the different view of a dozen, you're quickly going to have zero traditions.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Signed.

I love this particular portion of the article:rolleyes:

"Milford Public Schools do have many children from diverse beliefs, cultures and religions,” Richetelli said. “The goal is for all children to feel comfortable and definitely not alienated when they come to school.”

He pointed out there will be seasonal activities, including those scheduled by the PTA. Indeed, the letter Johannsen received mentioned a PTA 'Trunk or Treat' event where children can wear their costumes. “Those children who want to participate in these events will have the opportunity to do so,” Richetelli said.

In other words: "Basically, we want to do our best to make everyone of other cultures and beliefs comfortable by not excluding them, only those who celebrate Halloween, who do not matter to us. Plus, look, we do have a Trunk or Treat option..."

·
black light queen
2,608 Posts
Signed.

I love this particular portion of the article:rolleyes:

"Milford Public Schools do have many children from diverse beliefs, cultures and religions,” Richetelli said. “The goal is for all children to feel comfortable and definitely not alienated when they come to school.”

He pointed out there will be seasonal activities, including those scheduled by the PTA. Indeed, the letter Johannsen received mentioned a PTA 'Trunk or Treat' event where children can wear their costumes. “Those children who want to participate in these events will have the opportunity to do so,” Richetelli said.

In other words: "Basically, we want to do our best to make everyone of other cultures and beliefs comfortable by not excluding them, only those who celebrate Halloween, who do not matter to us. Plus, look, we do have a Trunk or Treat option..."
just "talking out of the both sides of their mouths" ... 2 faced like the mayor in nbc

amk

·
Registered
822 Posts
Let's not get political just morn the children who can't participate.

If we have seen one constant is that both political sides want to ban Halloween for different reasons but the result is still the same.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
signed. Tired of this.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Signed...enough is enough....on a side note..my neighbors are british...very british....they do the whole tea in the afternoon tea thing and stuff....yet each year....they go to the 4th of july parade in our town and the cookout/picnic. You would think they could claim they find the 4th of july offensive....its people.....consider the source.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,981 Posts
What about the Wiccans & Pagans who actually celebrate this as their religious holiday?

I don't know if I'll sign because I feel kinda weird being from a different state & telling Connecticut what to do since I don't want them telling my state or city what to do. I also don't want to have them say "well it's people from everywhere else BUT CT that have signed & they don't count. PETITION INVALIDATED!!"

I can understand not wanting kids to wear certain types of costumes, no weapons with the costumes, no killers like Freddy or Jason, but somehow that whole "fall" thing just doesn't cut it for me. They could easily make them do literary characters or characters from history/science/math, just whatever they're currently studying. Really, for the kids it's all about the costume, the candy & the party. They're not the ones pushing this & we all know it.

I'm sure there's a lot of disappointed fairies, princesses, & superheroes up there.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
First of all, they aren't "banning" or "canceling" Halloween. October 31 will still be on the calendar and will come and go as always. I don't believe it's the job of the school to instill holiday traditions in children's lives. I personally think they should be more focused on producing students that will be able to keep up with the rest of the world in math and science. They can always go home and carve a jack o'lantern and make a costume. Or not, as their own family customs dictate. I don't see how canceling a costume parade is the end of the world or the decline of Halloween and I really can't see trying to dictate policy in a school district where I neither live nor pay taxes.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
What about the Wiccans & Pagans who actually celebrate this as their religious holiday?
Religious celebrations of any variety have no place in public schools. This is where "separation of church and state" comes in to play.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
They are banning the parade because it offends a few people. It leaves their culture or beliefs out. Well those few can hold their own parade if they want,but allow those, who are the majority, the right to have the parade, which has been going on for years. Now you ban it ? Yes that is the PC police.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,329 Posts
Just wanted to point out this has been going on in other parts of the country for literally decades and has nothing to do with political correctness. They banned Halloween displays and parties in most of the school districts my mother taught in well over 25 years ago due to religious pressure.

It is a constant that there will be someone, somewhere seeking to ban everyone from participating in something they personally disagree with - it is human nature to try to impose personal beliefs on others - whether they be religious, political, or what have you. It's not being "PC" it's being elitist and small minded. ;)

The best everyone else can do is take a stand with a cool head and not sink to the level of name calling or finger pointing and especially violence.

A petition specific to this school district is a great way to show the district that the majority of their constituents don't agree (if that proves to be the case) and hopefully someone can send a delegation of parents and teachers to one of the district headquarters to (calmly/rationally) plead their case. I'm sure it was a very small but vocal minority that instigated this ban, so hopefully a large showing of support for keeping Halloween around will sway them to reinstate it.

But honestly, it is going to be meaningless for those outside of the school district (let alone state) to sign this - they only care about those that live and are serviced by that district, so I do hope that someone is contacting the local news and circulating a district-specific petition locally.

·
Registered
115 Posts
First of all, they aren't "banning" or "canceling" Halloween. October 31 will still be on the calendar and will come and go as always. I don't believe it's the job of the school to instill holiday traditions in children's lives. I personally think they should be more focused on producing students that will be able to keep up with the rest of the world in math and science. They can always go home and carve a jack o'lantern and make a costume. Or not, as their own family customs dictate. I don't see how canceling a costume parade is the end of the world or the decline of Halloween and I really can't see trying to dictate policy in a school district where I neither live nor pay taxes.

The issue I have with the cancellation is the stated reason for the cancellation. The celebration has been a tradition in the school district for what seems to be many years. To cancel it because some do not celebrate the holiday is rude to the people that do. If the school bans all holiday celebrations that's different. My children are exposed to Kwanza during the holiday season, why then is it so terrible to expose others to Halloween?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
First of all, they aren't "banning" or "canceling" Halloween. October 31 will still be on the calendar and will come and go as always. I don't believe it's the job of the school to instill holiday traditions in children's lives.
I would have to disagree with you. Aside from imparting our children with hard knowledge such as writing, reading, and arithmetic, it's always been the job of the schools to impart a strong sense of American culture to them as well. When I went to school in the 60's and 70s, we had events that reinforced each national holiday, and that's an important term: national holiday as these are all a part of a culture. We also did plays, concerts, and other events that emphasized our American heritage. Halloween isn't the local Fall Festival. It is a national event and an integral part of our culture.

I think why this case is reverberating so much is it's another attempt to de-nationalize our population. There has been a sustained effort for close to two decades now to eradicate as much American culture as possible. There have been more efforts to ban the Pledge of Allegiance than I can count. Christmas is pretty much gone. Easter is gone. Kids get suspended for wearing pro-military/veteran shirts near Memorial or Veterans Days, and in their place we're seeing more efforts to push not just personal diversity but cultural diversity.

When I went to school, we had "Pride" days where the Italian, Polish, Irish, German, etc., kids would come in dressed in the colors or clothing of their ancestral country, they would bring food their parents made that reflected these countries, and they would give talks, or their parents would give talks, about what it was like to live there or visit there. These were very informative, but the other 269 or so days of the year, these kids were expected to follow American culture, not some bland universal utopian one-size-fits-all culture where we have the post-Summer holiday followed by the Fall holiday, followed by the Winter holiday because we don't want someone with a foreign culture to feel left out.

This is America last I checked, celebrating Christmas, Easter, and Halloween have always been a part of our modern culture, and that's what our schools should be imparting to our kids. I did ten years in the Navy, 20+ years as a defense contractor, and have been just about everywhere but the South Pole and Russia, and I can tell you no other country's schools treat their own national culture this way.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,981 Posts
But honestly, it is going to be meaningless for those outside of the school district (let alone state) to sign this - they only care about those that live and are serviced by that district, so I do hope that someone is contacting the local news and circulating a district-specific petition locally.
I agree.

I also think we tend to get so upset by this because we just love the holiday so much it's hard for us to understand how something that brings joy to so many of all religions & races would be banned for any reason.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would have to disagree with you. Aside from imparting our children with hard knowledge such as writing, reading, and arithmetic, it's always been the job of the schools to impart a strong sense of American culture to them as well. When I went to school in the 60's and 70s, we had events that reinforced each national holiday, and that's an important term: national holiday as these are all a part of a culture. We also did plays, concerts, and other events that emphasized our American heritage. Halloween isn't the local Fall Festival. It is a national event and an integral part of our culture.

I think why this case is reverberating so much is it's another attempt to de-nationalize our population. There has been a sustained effort for close to two decades now to eradicate as much American culture as possible. There have been more efforts to ban the Pledge of Allegiance than I can count. Christmas is pretty much gone. Easter is gone. Kids get suspended for wearing pro-military/veteran shirts near Memorial or Veterans Days, and in their place we're seeing more efforts to push not just personal diversity but cultural diversity.

When I went to school, we had "Pride" days where the Italian, Polish, Irish, German, etc., kids would come in dressed in the colors or clothing of their ancestral country, they would bring food their parents made that reflected these countries, and they would give talks, or their parents would give talks, about what it was like to live there or visit there. These were very informative, but the other 269 or so days of the year, these kids were expected to follow American culture, not some bland universal utopian one-size-fits-all culture where we have the post-Summer holiday followed by the Fall holiday, followed by the Winter holiday because we don't want someone with a foreign culture to feel left out.

This is America last I checked, celebrating Christmas, Easter, and Halloween have always been a part of our modern culture, and that's what our schools should be imparting to our kids. I did ten years in the Navy, 20+ years as a defense contractor, and have been just about everywhere but the South Pole and Russia, and I can tell you no other country's schools treat their own national culture this way.
Very well put Bruzilla.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I respectfully disagree. Its how "they" the PC police start....seems meaningless...just a small parade in a small local school...pretty soon other schools join in..then its something else....maybe valentines day...easter or christmas...I think its terrible because of who they are doing it to....kids...they know a kids mind at that age is very impressionable....if you can get them to "think" a certain way at a young age...chances are they will think that way for life. Something just feels wrong about that. the kids don't know any better and look to adults---especially teachers as role models and think that what they say and teach is the right thing to do. when I think about it...its really sinister. I know it sounds paranoid....and I think thats what they count on....that if you speak-up you sound crazy....I just look at how far things have gone the other way in my life time....think cops and stop/frisk laws..CCV security cams on light posts.....30 years ago...most people would have said that could never have happened.....you are paranoid.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts