Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned previously I have a neighbor on one side of my property who is a complete A**hole. The Sub has several restrictive by-laws detailing what home owners can and can't do and one of them clearly specifies that home owners are not allowed to store boats, kayaks, jet ski or similar watercraft in their driveways or yards with or without trailers. But my A**hole neighbor doesn't like that rule so he claims that since he didn't know about the by-laws when he bought the house, they don't apply to him and he can do whatever he wants. So while every other of the 30 or so families in the sub follow the by-laws this A**hole doesn't. So as happens every year the Board of the HOA sends him a letter asking him to move the kayak on a trailer he has had in his yard all year. So instead of moving it like a normal person might do he moves it into the side yard closer to the road than his house so its more viable than ever. Last night there was an HOA Board meeting and they yet again tried to address the situation with my neighbor's refusal to follow the by-laws everyone else lives with and decided to send him a strongly worded email. Upon receiving this email from the HOA Board, did my neighbor move his boat like a sane person might do? NO WAY! This A**hole pulls three more kayaks out of his garage and lines them up on the property line, then in a move I'm still trying to figure out, adds a toilet to the line up of boats. I kid you not, this A**hole put a complete toilet in his own yard which in an odd way defines his entire family in one action.
I've seen some weird shit over the years, but I've never seen anyone put a toilet out on their own yard. This would be funny as all hell if it wasn't so sad. Anyone here ever even heard of some crazy shit like that?

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
That is a weird one I'll give you that and in such a nice looking neighborhood.

I don't know about real estate transactions there, but here when you do your closing if you are in a HOA, part of the closing documents must include the HOA documents (by-laws etc) and any and all Rules and Regulations that are current (so that the buyer has them in his possession). Now because people don't typically know where they put them over the years or weren't good about keeping them together, our HOA at closing prepares a copy of the current set of documents (and the owner pays the copying fee). If you're HOA supplied the past owner at closing with the documents, then he got them at closing. You have to sign that you got them at closing as it's part of the governing paperwork. to complete the transaction.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spookie - its the same in Michigan, plus the bylaws are on file. Most people unfortunately never read half their closing documents they just sign where the Closing Agent tells them.

And although I'd love to put up an 8ft privacy fence across that stretch of yard, I did read the bylaws and its technically not allowed. But if the HOA isn't going to enforce the bylaws against boats, trailers and "trash" then I guess anything goes.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,833 Posts
GAH!! THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS PEOPLE!!

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse So if I didn't know that murdering people was illegal, it's OK to murder people right? OK that's a ridic example, but still, you get my drift.

When we were looking for houses that was question one: Is there an HOA? Because we didn't want to live anywhere with an HOA.

I don't know how your HOA works but some around here would fine him daily/weekly/monthly for the time he's non-compliant.

When I read that they just sent him a "strongly worded email" I just laughed because that clearly isn't gonna work. If the HOA isn't going to take it to the next level & enforce the covenants then why bother having an HOA & covenants at all?

Does the HOA have a lawyer? If so then the lawyer needs to send something on their letterhead & in email form. If not then they need to find one. If he continues to be non-compliant & they impose fees & he doesn't pay they may be able to do something legally in civil court.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my experience here is what happens in most HOA's. First there's a long letter writing campaign, then when somebody finally gets worked up enough they impose fines, the offending member refuses to pay the fines and continues the offending activity. So now if the HOA gets really worked up they have the unpaid fines attached as a lien on the property just like they can do for unpaid HOA dues. The offending member still doesn't pay, but it only becomes an issue for them when they are ready to sell their house and need the lien removed to do so. But by then the HOA is so happy to get the A**hole out of the Sub that they waive the fines and release the lien. At least that's what I've seen happen before. In my view, the only thing that works is Public Shaming. Put signs in the Sub that detail how many times the A**hole neighbor has been contact about their violation of the bylaws (that everyone else follows) and they still will not stop the prohibited activity. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, BUT most HOA Boards don't like to use that method, because it usually gets ugly before it works. In the meantime, the A**holes continue to keep a toilet in their yard.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,833 Posts
This person clearly needs a good poop, that's why they're so angry, they're just constipated. That's why they put that toilet out there so he can show everyone in the neighborhood that he's pooped & will feel aaaallllllbetters now!! :D

I'm all for middle-finger-stick-it-to-the-man on occasion, but at this point in my life I don't have time for too much of that kind of garbage anymore. That sort of stuff is for the younguns now.

I'm a member of a fire dept. auxiliary. We have a Constitution & By-Laws that we're governed by, most volunteer fire departments around here work that way. When the organization was formed in the 60s it was basic stuff about meeting requirements, what officers they'd need, how many & how to become one, voting requirements, etc. Simple stuff.

Well...you know where this is going right? Back in Feb. I spent a day rewriting all of the above, literally line by line, word by word because of people like your neighbor, that one a$$hole who finds the loophole & exploits it or there isn't a rule or reg saying they can't do what they're doing or have done so they perform some sort of idiocy & say "whatevs" & then you're stuck with that idiocy until you can find a way to stop it.

A Constitution & By-Laws should be changed & be fluid because times & people change, much like the big one we live by in the US, but when I looked at the stupid details we had to put in & remove over the years because of about 5 people (I could name each one too) it just makes me kind of exhausted yet glad I did it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts