Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing those wonderful collections posted on the other collections thread, it made me wonder...

For those of you that collect, what are your collection criteria?

Will you acquire anything that fits the category... or does it have to meet certain standards? (i.e. Only Lemax ceramic houses)

Did you start with a broad category and later refine you collection? Or maybe it was the other way 'round?

Do you build your collection methodically (i.e. New Yankee candle each season) or do you leave it all to chance?

How much does price figure in to your collecting?

My collecting is mostly all from thrift store finds and clearances. For me, a low low price is 90% of the fun of collecting. Sure, I could buy the latest and greatest Lemax... but it's the "finds" that give me a rush. I will buy almost any ceramic Halloween house because I can re-paint and add details. I usually don't bother with other Halloween cheap-looking stuff unless I know I can rehab it.

What about you?

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Hmmm...I guess I should put more thought into my collections, LOL. Actually, I also like to find "treasures" at low prices. Interestingly though, my hubby thinks I should be "upgrading" and only buy more expensive collectibles, and start getting rid of items that are worth less. He makes a point, but I just don't operate that way. Hahaha, :D

The motionettes I collected are all made by Telco. The paper cutouts are all made by the Beistle Co.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
I'm picky. BUT, It doesn't have to be rare or high priced. I don't care about any of that. If I like it, and want it as a part of my collection, I get it.

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,008 Posts
I get a lot of my collection from thrift stores and some on eBay.
I collect skulls so those range in diffrent prices but do t spend a lot on them

My red Avon glass I just started collecting I will not pay the high prices people ask on some. I wait to find at thrift stores for a great deal
On the hunt for the red plates at a great deal

·
Spider Maven
1,468 Posts
I do have some 'standards' when collecting my spider items. First, they MUST have 8 legs. Seems like a no-brianer, right? But I can't tell you how many pieces out there have 6-legged spiders.

And, this may sound weird--but I don't collect the spider things that are heavy with a Halloween theme. Or are too cutesy. Call me a purist when it comes to my spiders...haha

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
Well, honestly, I didn't even realize I'd started collections of specific things until I listed them in that thread! So no, not really, I guess.

I guess what you could call "standards" on my stuff is pretty simple - it needs to really catch my eye, and be different. Especially with the candle holders.

As for my books, now I'm starting to get a little pickier. I mean, there are only so many different "History of Halloween" books you can have before they start getting repetitive. In fact, if anyone can recommend any good non-fiction Halloween books - ones that aren't the same old, "the Irish turnips became the carved pumpkins in America" spiel - I'd be thrilled to hear about them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm a lot like you, Boo Who. Anything I collect is worth more to me if I saved money on it! Since I sew, I can easily make changes to any costumes I buy for that collection, so size matters a whole lot less for me than price. Sometimes I even deconstruct them completely, like when I took apart a toddler pirate costume to make myself a grim reaper one.

I also instituted a new rule for myself last year that I can no longer buy any items made of plastic or with plastic parts. These items were cheapening my collections too much. I love high quality stuff; I just want to save as much money as I can while I get it!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I collect Lintoy diecast airliners from the 1960s-1980s. Just those planes and nothing else. I loved them when I was a kid because the landing gear retracted and I had a set of four but that's all I ever had. So now I have about 350 of them, but I've about stopped buying them recently except for when I find a big lot of them for sale. I also like them because they are collectable but not crazy collectable, so I can find one selling for $19, and a set of five selling for $18. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts