Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished this today, VO by djChrisbaker, mixed by me. 2 axis mask on a wighead, toy motor from a toy car for jaw motion. wiper motor servo for arm.

Enjoy.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
As I said on the other site, absolutley amazing. Pro quality. The voice is great and the movement couldn't be more perfect. Damn thing looks alive!
Will it be triggered or a constant motion?

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I said on the other site, absolutley amazing. Pro quality. The voice is great and the movement couldn't be more perfect. Damn thing looks alive!
Will it be triggered or a constant motion?
It will run in cojunction with Lenny and Wilfred...so I guess it'll be constant, but it'll run in the middle of a larger script with other props. Although I mixed and enhanced the audio, I couldn't have done it wih out djchris' awesome voice over...Go check him out at Discount Voice Overs - Haunt Greetings, Prop Voices, Haunt Atmosphere & Halloween Sound FX - Home

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Dr Morbius that is excellent!! That is what I want to aspire to. I love realism and the fact that he actually does move his mouth when he talks makes it that more real.

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dr Morbius that is excellent!! That is what I want to aspire to. I love realism and the fact that he actually does move his mouth when he talks makes it that more real.
Thanks billman..
Hard to explain, about the jaw sync but here goes...

The jaw uses a toy motor from a cheap remote conrol car...the steering motor assembly actually.

The motor runs off of a toy motor circuit I built off of the net designed by Jim Kadel.

On one channel there is the audio you hear.

On the other channel is me blowing into the mic in sync to the words only you cant hear it. I used audacity to mix this. Only the toy motor circuit can "hear" me blowing into the mic.

When played together the jaw syncs to the sound track.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Incredible , wow it looks and sounds awsome , great job , the movement is very cool , my hats off to you prop makers for making these awsome props with diffrent toys and wiper motors and turning them into this , very original prop.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I must say that is the coolest THING ever.
I hope you share your adventure of building this with us, in a HOW TO, and pictures.

THANKS
Now my little lady see why I'm on here all the time. LOL LOL

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That looks FANTASTIC!!

Just curious as to why you didn't use a regular servo for the jaw. Yours looks fine, but I assume it was a lot more work making a toy car motor work like a servo.
HB,

I put the toy motor in there about 4 years ago. I used it when the head on the groundbreaker was mounted on an oscillating fan in a reaper prop before I even knew what a servo was. So it would actually have been MORE work to remove it and replace it with a regular servo. Besides, it's one less servo to program.

·
Registered
419 Posts
That is excellent, man! I do something similar to trigger my servos, but with a twist...

I needed BOTH channels for a Left / Right skeleton pair talking to each other, but needed them to react to a loud sound (like your blowing) to open and close in sync. So I generated a fairly loud 35hz tone (very low - lower than my prop's speakers can reproduce) and MIXED IT INTO the dialog.

The low frequency tone triggers the props just right and the stereo dialog runs in sync!

Cheers,
Push E.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts