Halloween Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· The guru is IN
558 Posts
Here's her response:

Hello,

Thank you very much for being a fan of my work I appreciate the heads up on the two headed toddler girl... WOW that really pisses me off! Unfortunately they made her with enough differences that she is not a direct copy of my original design therefore not so much protected under the copyright law... unfortunately it just makes them *******s and pretty much all I can do it badmouth them for it... sigh.

Thank you again for letting me know... I really do appreciate your taking the time for that
Jodi

She's currently trying to find the doll to see if they weren't soulless enough to deny her credit.
I found one, just sent her a email
https://ledchristmaslighting.com/in...=36862&zenid=36a4450e65932d4cba49553ac35542f4

· The guru is IN
558 Posts
There's a big difference between inspiration and infringement, though. Why can't the companies take ideas and not complete designs? It wouldn't be too hard for Morbid or whoever made it to produce a scary rag doll or a two-headed doll after seeing Jodi's work, but outright stealing the idea and making minor tweaks to the design seems pointless. Just come up with your own take on the idea, companies! If they're going to use artists' work, they shouldn't infringe, and certainly not make it so blatant.
It's a shame because Morbid has came up with some GREAT original designs before

· The guru is IN
558 Posts
I am gonna step in here again...well, maybe its more a question...How can we get mad when for instance this Morbid company makes a doll that looks like a version of the one that Jodi makes...when Jodi has dolls that look like versions of Raggedy Ann, versions of dolls with clothes that look like that artist Jasmine Beckett something and versions of Disney dolls? I am not attacking anyone..because when I paint..I paint anything from old postcards to Disney and whatever else, I feel I am doing "my version" of it...but once I was asked to stop painting this one picture because it belonged to someone..so I did as asked and then quit painting anything unless I knew it was vintage...lol...I have actually seen things on pinterest that I thought I had painted and it was someone else who had copied what I did..I think a lot of Artist see things and do their own versions...My sister sews expensive doll clothes..she gets copied all the time..but people who know her name, know what are imitations and copies..I guess maybe I would be aggravated if it was a company selling hundreds of something I designed out of my head with no ideas from something I had seen before...but that is probably highly unlikely..I actually am kind of on the fence between flattery and being aggravated..not sure ...

And before anyone decides to think I am saying anything bad here..its not meant to be bad, its inquiring..Are we getting mad because its a big company that sells mass quantities of this "copied" product ? Or just the idea copying in general?
To your logic there is no such thing as plagiarism. I could just copy someone's YT video and say "no I just took inspiration in their video" when I get a copyright strike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.