Halloween Forum banner

Morbid's Conjoined Twins rag doll- yet another artist ripoff?

4136 29
I fell in love with Morbid Enterprises' "2-Headed Toddler Girl" rag doll, due to its unique Burtonian creepiness and its quirky design.
Cartoon Plush Violet Animation Toy

So, of course, it wasn't original.
Doing a quick search for "2-headed rag doll" directed me to this artist, Jodi Cain, who makes twisted dolls as a hobby, with their signature style being identical to Morbid's product. While I loved the Morbid doll, I can't say I'm happy that yet another talented artist is having her style copied and sold to the masses. Does anyone actually own the Morbid one?
Reactions: Jodi Cain
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's her response:

Hello,

Thank you very much for being a fan of my work I appreciate the heads up on the two headed toddler girl... WOW that really pisses me off! Unfortunately they made her with enough differences that she is not a direct copy of my original design therefore not so much protected under the copyright law... unfortunately it just makes them *******s and pretty much all I can do it badmouth them for it... sigh.

Thank you again for letting me know... I really do appreciate your taking the time for that
Jodi

She's currently trying to find the doll to see if they weren't soulless enough to deny her credit.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking at the two, I can assert that yours is much better. You can see the malice and creepiness in your doll, but the ripoff twins look slightly confused, like they had a gas attack and don't know who to blame due to their shared body! :D
I'm glad you were able to defend your work, and I feel glad to have alerted you. Perhaps this story will have a happy ending...

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jodi's looks so much better made, but I have to say..there are many two headed dolls out there...
So are you just ignoring the obvious infringement on the visual design? The faces are identical, and the bows and dress are similar. There are differences in the more Raggedy Ann-like hands and feet, and in the hair and clothes, but it clearly borrows too much from Jodi's trademark style.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's a big difference between inspiration and infringement, though. Why can't the companies take ideas and not complete designs? It wouldn't be too hard for Morbid or whoever made it to produce a scary rag doll or a two-headed doll after seeing Jodi's work, but outright stealing the idea and making minor tweaks to the design seems pointless. Just come up with your own take on the idea, companies! If they're going to use artists' work, they shouldn't infringe, and certainly not make it so blatant.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Unfortunately, I had the same suggestion when talking to someone about it. While she shouldn't have been ripped off, her dolls of Lily/Eddie/Herman Munster, Coraline, Raggedy Ann and Andy, and the Addams Family, to name a few, could have a similar issue. While I don't doubt that they're meant to be loving tributes to the characters (and probably the result of custom orders), it could potentially get Jodi herself in hot water if the copyright holders to those characters found out. I. personally, think they're cool, but the companies who created the characters probably wouldn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.