Halloween Forum banner

Morbid's Conjoined Twins rag doll- yet another artist ripoff?

4157 Views 29 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  FascinatinatedFright
I fell in love with Morbid Enterprises' "2-Headed Toddler Girl" rag doll, due to its unique Burtonian creepiness and its quirky design.
Cartoon Plush Violet Animation Toy

So, of course, it wasn't original.
Doing a quick search for "2-headed rag doll" directed me to this artist, Jodi Cain, who makes twisted dolls as a hobby, with their signature style being identical to Morbid's product. While I loved the Morbid doll, I can't say I'm happy that yet another talented artist is having her style copied and sold to the masses. Does anyone actually own the Morbid one?
Reactions: Jodi Cain
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Vintage Halloween'er
2,882 Posts
So are you just ignoring the obvious infringement on the visual design? The faces are identical, and the bows and dress are similar. There are differences in the more Raggedy Ann-like hands and feet, and in the hair and clothes, but it clearly borrows too much from Jodi's trademark style.
NO, I am saying Jodi's looks so much better made and there are a lot of 2 headed dolls out there...I was giving Jodi a compliment on hers being better than the many others out there...but I am not going to bad mouth whoever "Morbid" is..(I have no idea if they or she or he copied..)

· Vintage Halloween'er
2,882 Posts
I am gonna step in here again...well, maybe its more a question...How can we get mad when for instance this Morbid company makes a doll that looks like a version of the one that Jodi makes...when Jodi has dolls that look like versions of Raggedy Ann, versions of dolls with clothes that look like that artist Jasmine Beckett something and versions of Disney dolls? I am not attacking anyone..because when I paint..I paint anything from old postcards to Disney and whatever else, I feel I am doing "my version" of it...but once I was asked to stop painting this one picture because it belonged to someone..so I did as asked and then quit painting anything unless I knew it was vintage...lol...I have actually seen things on pinterest that I thought I had painted and it was someone else who had copied what I did..I think a lot of Artist see things and do their own versions...My sister sews expensive doll clothes..she gets copied all the time..but people who know her name, know what are imitations and copies..I guess maybe I would be aggravated if it was a company selling hundreds of something I designed out of my head with no ideas from something I had seen before...but that is probably highly unlikely..I actually am kind of on the fence between flattery and being aggravated..not sure ...

And before anyone decides to think I am saying anything bad here..its not meant to be bad, its inquiring..Are we getting mad because its a big company that sells mass quantities of this "copied" product ? Or just the idea copying in general?

· Vintage Halloween'er
2,882 Posts
No, to my logic..there are limits..but its hard to say someone copied unless it is exact because so many people make the same things and most get the ideas from someone else..not out of their own minds..I don't know how true it is, but I was once told by an art teacher that its rare when an artist paints from their own mind..that the visions they paint are visions they have seen somewhere before and the mind stores them and then they add their style to it...

And I was just asking...just out of curiosity..because I do paint "my versions" of things and thought someone may know the boundaries since the subject was copying...Ya never know unless you ask..:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.