Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where this belongs but my question is does monsterlist still update does it have a new URL or another place like monsterlist?It seems that monsterlist hasn't been updated since 5/08 got most of the how to's of props I want to build out of there and looking for some new stuff.and yes I get Ideas here all the time.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The hardest part of having a good site isnt the development, but keeping it maintained. Many times I have had a great idea, spent tons of hours in development, then lost steam a couple years down the road.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
A lot of the links in monsterlist are dead. I use hauntproject now. Monsterlist needs to go through their site and clean it up.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
I've noticed that a lot of the how-to sites seem old. Looks like a lot of people are getting burned out updating their websites. Don't blame them. That can be a full time job sometimes. That's why I came running to the forums.
I think you may have something there...Websites are getting to be an old hat way of dispensing information. With the forums and now new social groups sites, the ability to upload pics and embedded videos just wasn't possible or practical 10 years ago as space constraints didn't allow it.

Nowadays, forums and social sites allow whole photo albums and Youtube embedded videos just makes it easier to show your stuff.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Plus don't forget that for a while somebody was taking all of the DIY projects from these sites and trying to sell them on ebay. I'm sure that this kept a lot of people from posting up there how-to instructions for fear that someone was gonna steal them and make money off of their idea.

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Walks to the middle of the room, places soap box and steps on it. OK here's my 2 cents worth. I think that the forum as well as the other social network sites are great as long as you particpate on a regular basis or effectivly use the tools (SEARCH Function). However the simple listing site is hard to beat for quick access to information with out having to wade through a lot of unrelated details and chat. Not having created or maintained a site I'm not sure whats involved but I expect if its updated one more then once or twice a year it would make the job a lot easiser. Haunt project is better organized the Monster since it classifies and groups projects where as Monster lists them according to the contributors title. I think there is still a place for the "List" and I have used and found both very benefical.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I searched Monster List a cpl months ago and emailed the webmaster all the dead links I found. It doesn't hurt to help out a little. ;)

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
Walks to the middle of the room, places soap box and steps on it. OK here's my 2 cents worth. I think that the forum as well as the other social network sites are great as long as you particpate on a regular basis or effectivly use the tools (SEARCH Function). However the simple listing site is hard to beat for quick access to information with out having to wade through a lot of unrelated details and chat. Not having created or maintained a site I'm not sure whats involved but I expect if its updated one more then once or twice a year it would make the job a lot easiser. Haunt project is better organized the Monster since it classifies and groups projects where as Monster lists them according to the contributors title. I think there is still a place for the "List" and I have used and found both very benefical.
From your end, the user, then yes a list of websites is easier to navigate. From the perspective of the person posting the howtos, forums and groups are easier.
I agree, it's not a great way for people to FIND howtos, but maybe someone really into the forums or groups could make a list pointing to threads or group pages/blogs that contain the howtos...?

·
Registered
594 Posts
If it points to threads, then we will all start having to attach our images, so they will stay on the HF servers, rather than embed them in the post... many of the old posts no longer have pictures, due to the OP deleting them from their host service.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
The guy that runs HauntProject (Perfessor Evil) is very helpful. He tried to help me out a while back after I told him my tutorial was now a dead link. It happened when AOL discontinued and deleted it's user's Home pages last October.
Plus he'll update the site almost immediately with a submitted tutorial, instead of waiting 6 months or a year.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Not to down play the current prop sites that are out there. But it almost sounds like a Halloween Prop Wiki could be something of good value. If one could generate enough interest to get volunteers to maintain and add projects it could possibly work out real well. No more worries of sites disappearing, content would be maintained by many users, and with enough traction individual users would be willing to submit their own content.

·
Mourning Rose Manor
2,318 Posts
I, for one, have been using the Monsterlist for many years and I still refer back to it. It does update about once a year and I love checking out the new props. I still consider it one of the best sources, but then inspiration comes from everywhere. There's also hauntershangout, hauntproject and others. Plus Youtube is great to research videos for props. I'm still very thankful for Mark Butler and all his hard work.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,394 Posts
Pretty much every day I check youtube for videos of halloween stuff. I search "halloween prop", "halloween light" and "yard haunt". Lots of good stuff. Most of the time you have to figure out how stuff works by yourself, but it is great for motivation and ideas. Not really for someone who needs to have someone tell them step by step how to do something though. Monsterlist is great but in a way when everyone is making the same stuff it looses some of its appeal. It is about being creative as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts