Halloween Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
"KAT IN THE HAT"
546 Posts
UnOrthodOx that is simply amazing!!! I want a garage! I really need to do something big like that just once to get it out of my system... but then I probably would get hooked and things would get way out of hand! LOVE YOUR WORK!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial. Your chimeras remind me of some modern art sculptures.

I found a fox skull, and was thinking of something vaguely fox/snake hybrid. I know I want the skull at the end of a long snakey neck, but wasn't sure about the body. The open chest solves the lighting problem, although I'll probably still use LEDs in the little skull.

·
Super Moderator
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come: Concept

Still cleaning up, I know. That said, I'm already planning my next build, after going more than a year without one.

This idea has really been rolling around in the brain for a number of years. Pretty much since I stopped making Jack for Christmas. Then it really came to fruition a couple years back. See, there's this Christmas Tree Jubilee fundraiser where people decorate trees that rich folks buy at auction. I. HATE. CHRISTMAS TREES. Still, it's a charity, and a couple years back they started doing decorations along with the trees, and it dawned on me how hilarious it would be to have the ghost of christmas future standing next to a bunch of christmas trees.

This year being what it has been, I really need something to build, and the time is right to do something once I get the house back in order from Halloween. There's an outside possibility I could even get it in the annual christmas tree jubilee and auction it off for a cause, but it's rather unlikely I'd finish in time.

So, its really down to do I want to keep it, or sell it? I don't know the answer to that yet.

Original concept work on this really formulated back in 2012. http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/112312-recondite-unorthodoxs-2012-theme-open-discussion.html?highlight=recondite

I had been working on the concept of a ghul, was instantly struck how I could merge that with the Ghost to make a 2 holiday decoration. Ghul being a nebulous being of smoke and fire, while the Ghost of Chritmas Future being nebulous as well.

It was shrouded in a deep black garment, which concealed its head, its face, its form, and left nothing of it visible save one outstretched hand. But for this it would have been difficult to detach its figure from the night, and separate it from the darkness by which it was surrounded.
Now, certainly there is no end of inspirational sources for this from the good...

To the horrendous (really, a jawa?)

But, I wanted to strike out on my own, and put my own stamp on this ghost.
What I know I want out of the thing:
I want it done in my chimera styling, making it much more ragged than traditional versions as well. Tattered ends of the robe the only thing touching the ground.
Mostly just the torso floating, using the tattered bits of robe to conceal the supports.
Being a Chimera, it therefor must incorporate LIGHT. Something completely alien ot this ghost.
Therefore, it is to be the center piece on a display, at least with a Scrooge tombstone, and it will be the sole source of light.
Built from ground up for 4 season outdoor display.
Blue lights. First chimera with blue lighting.
Fiber fix. This will be a very thurough test of the product's strengths.
Quite possibly NOT built with monster mud...thinking on alternatives better suited to year round weather.

Right now, plan is to have this powered by 2 lights:

1 blue CFL in the chest, completely hidden, will illuminate the ground below the ghost, and in so doing, sillouhette the shape. MIGHT let some shine up into the empty hood.

The second will be a spotlight hidden (blue led spot from Spirit after halloween clearance) in the sleeve of the outstretched hand to illuminate the tombstone (and ideally also cast the shadow of the hand on the stone and/or wall of the house).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've only recently started focusing more on building Halloween props, which led me back to these forums for the first time in too long. I'm having so, so, SO much fun catching up on Monster Mud! Can't wait to try it on my own. Thank you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come: Concept

Still cleaning up, I know. That said, I'm already planning my next build, after going more than a year without one.

This idea has really been rolling around in the brain for a number of years. Pretty much since I stopped making Jack for Christmas. Then it really came to fruition a couple years back. See, there's this Christmas Tree Jubilee fundraiser where people decorate trees that rich folks buy at auction. I. HATE. CHRISTMAS TREES. Still, it's a charity, and a couple years back they started doing decorations along with the trees, and it dawned on me how hilarious it would be to have the ghost of christmas future standing next to a bunch of christmas trees.

This year being what it has been, I really need something to build, and the time is right to do something once I get the house back in order from Halloween. There's an outside possibility I could even get it in the annual christmas tree jubilee and auction it off for a cause, but it's rather unlikely I'd finish in time.

So, its really down to do I want to keep it, or sell it? I don't know the answer to that yet.

Original concept work on this really formulated back in 2012. http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/112312-recondite-unorthodoxs-2012-theme-open-discussion.html?highlight=recondite

I had been working on the concept of a ghul, was instantly struck how I could merge that with the Ghost to make a 2 holiday decoration. Ghul being a nebulous being of smoke and fire, while the Ghost of Chritmas Future being nebulous as well.

It was shrouded in a deep black garment, which concealed its head, its face, its form, and left nothing of it visible save one outstretched hand. But for this it would have been difficult to detach its figure from the night, and separate it from the darkness by which it was surrounded.
Now, certainly there is no end of inspirational sources for this from the good...

To the horrendous (really, a jawa?)

But, I wanted to strike out on my own, and put my own stamp on this ghost.
What I know I want out of the thing:
I want it done in my chimera styling, making it much more ragged than traditional versions as well. Tattered ends of the robe the only thing touching the ground.
Mostly just the torso floating, using the tattered bits of robe to conceal the supports.
Being a Chimera, it therefor must incorporate LIGHT. Something completely alien ot this ghost.
Therefore, it is to be the center piece on a display, at least with a Scrooge tombstone, and it will be the sole source of light.
Built from ground up for 4 season outdoor display.
Blue lights. First chimera with blue lighting.
Fiber fix. This will be a very thurough test of the product's strengths.
Quite possibly NOT built with monster mud...thinking on alternatives better suited to year round weather.

Right now, plan is to have this powered by 2 lights:

1 blue CFL in the chest, completely hidden, will illuminate the ground below the ghost, and in so doing, sillouhette the shape. MIGHT let some shine up into the empty hood.

The second will be a spotlight hidden (blue led spot from Spirit after halloween clearance) in the sleeve of the outstretched hand to illuminate the tombstone (and ideally also cast the shadow of the hand on the stone and/or wall of the house).
great idea I also drove by your house today when I had to take my son to exchange pictures

·
Super Moderator
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Unfortunately, I've been overcome by events and won't be able to get to the ghost in time this year. You probably noticed the yard's still a disaster. Debating whether to make it in January or just push it back even further.

Par for the course on how I build things.

·
Super Moderator
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
41 - 57 of 57 Posts