Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
wish me luck

I am hoping to start my monster mud reaper this weekend. I have gathered all the supplies and now it is just putting it together. So be a good project, wish me luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It took me about a week to build my Reaper, but I didn't rush it at all. For example, I built the armature the first day (didn't take very long really, though forming the chicken wire was a challenge at first), then mixed up the monster mud and applied the burlap the second day. This actually did take some time and not only because I tossed one section of MM-soaked burlap onto the lantern arm. That caused all the PVC pieces to come apart since I didn't glue them together (duh).

I then let it dry for a day (seemed really dry though some say it can take 2 or 3 days to dry). I had to put on a second (and in some sections a third) coat of MM because my burlap was a wide weave, so there were a lot of holes that needed to be filled in. So overall it took me two-plus days for the MM part.

I then applied the Dryloc waterproofer and waited for that to thoroughly dry before I painted it. I then waited a day or so before applying the sealer.

I imagine you can cut down on some of the time needed by not busting up your piece like I did and using more appropriate fabric. But it is a great project and was a terrific introduction to me for both using MM and for building my own props.

Good luck and enjoy!

Rich

·
Registered
11 Posts
cool

Thanks Rich for the heads up. I will take my time. My hope is to get the frame up today. Possibly get the burlap and monster mud up by Sunday and let it dry the week. Then waterproof it and seal it. What did you use for a sealer?

·
Registered
182 Posts
owensii,

I used Olympic Multi-Surface Waterguard. It had the additional benefit of being the cheapest one sold at Lowe's ($8 or so for a gallon, about half the price of the Thompson's). I applied two coats liberally, allowing the first to dry thoroughly, just in case the protection was also half that of Thompson's. Heh.

After the first rainstorm we had earlier this week, everything looked good. He developed a slightly bluish tint (which got me nervous at first) but after drying he returned to his regular color. The Reaper remains solid without any signs of moisture decay and it's raining again today. I'm more worried about the wind knocking him over again than water damage at this point. I think it's well protected.

Rich

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks

I will look for that at lowes. I will posts some pictures if everything goes well. Thanks again for the help. Take care all and have a great weekend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
progess so far

Well last night I got my frame built the only problem was getting the hood looking good. I used zip ties to attatch the wire netting and then folded over the chicken wire and tied it together. I cut my burlap into two pieces, the first piece was the middle piece, I cut a basic poncho shape for the middle portion and the second extended from arm to arm and made the hood. I think a third piece would have been good for a wrap around the bottom of the neck area. I mixed up my monster mud and got the burlap coated. I placed my burlap in a tote tub and that gave me more space to work the material. The mix was very cold for winter is coming to North Dakota, but got it done. You were not kidding on how heavy the material became with the mix. I place the body portion on and used an old piece of rope to hold the piece together and conceal the sides. It makes a good a belt for the reaper. I put up the other piece and there was some movement but the reaper held the weight. It is now drying and looks good. I did have to manipulate the hood piece the most to make if it look good. So afer drying I am hoping it will be alot lighter and then I will coat it, paint it and seal it. So far so good.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Just coated Mr Door with mud. First time using it so that was.. um.. cold.. and rather icky, but surprisingly fun. here is hoping the weather holds for a few days so he can dry!

He's a rather happy chappy :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
w666will,

So far I've found that my Reaper has held up extraordinarily well in the rain. No doubt a large part of the credit goes to the fact that it has a layer of Dryloc waterproofingon it, several coats of exterior paint, and two coats of deck sealer. There has been no threat to the integrity of the prop yet.

Although they're in California (and it never rains in southern CA, or so the song says), the Davis Graveyard has a grove of Reapers they put out every year and which have apparently held up well. But again, I can't speak for the weather there since I'm on the East Coast. But in the month I've displayed my prop, it's doing fine so far in the rain. The wind...not so much!

Rich

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oops, I wrote California, but I just realized its Oregon the Davis's are located in. I'll assume the northwest has its shares of rain if everyone complaining about the Seattle area is right. ;>

Rich

·
Registered
43 Posts
i just made mine in the last 3 1/2 hrs. looks pretty okay....i hope it turns out well, he kinda looks malnourished so we had to stick hosing inside of him...and now he is pregnant...lol..:) we had to sandwich him between 2 old mattresses..so he's a reaper sandwich..:p:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello All...

This is my first post on here. I discovered this forum a couple of weeks ago and quickly got addicted. The talent on here is amazing.

I was so inspired that I made my own MM Reaper and wanted to post a pic. I am working on a couple of other projects for my backyard haunt and hope to add to it each year.

Look forward to stealing y'all's ideas.

·
Registered
182 Posts
bmhughes,

I hear ya about the addiction this place creates! I've been bitten by the bug myself after starting here a month ago and I gotta tell you it's a dangerous thing: you start getting ideas. You start wanting to try new things, like you MM Reaper, which looks great, by the way.

I also made my first reaper last month, and then started making groundbreaker zombies, papier mache severed heads, skull masks, and more. Addiction, indeed! So tread carefully here, you might never turn back.

Once again, great job on the reaper.

Rich

41 - 60 of 460 Posts